GL1800 foot warmer vent panels

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
KJohn
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 deluxe

GL1800 foot warmer vent panels

Postby KJohn » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:16 pm

I have a 2008 GL1800 with lower vent panels on the engine that can be opened/closed with a sliding switch on the left dashboard panel. These vent panels are intended to provide some engine heat to your feet when in the open position. My problem is that the cable operating these vents seems to be too long to provide adequate cable tension and consequently you cannot fully close the vents when you slide the switch to the closed position. You can move the vents with the switch but not enough to fully close them. I have looked at cable at the sliding switch (removed the left glove box pocket) and the cable is attached but doesn't appear adjustable at this switch point. I presume there must be a way to adjust the cable tension/length to allow the vents to fully close,but I don't know where you might access or adjust the cable. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: GL1800 foot warmer vent panels

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:54 pm

KJohn wrote:I have a 2008 GL1800 with lower vent panels on the engine that can be opened/closed with a sliding switch on the left dashboard panel. These vent panels are intended to provide some engine heat to your feet when in the open position. My problem is that the cable operating these vents seems to be too long to provide adequate cable tension and consequently you cannot fully close the vents when you slide the switch to the closed position. You can move the vents with the switch but not enough to fully close them. I have looked at cable at the sliding switch (removed the left glove box pocket) and the cable is attached but doesn't appear adjustable at this switch point. I presume there must be a way to adjust the cable tension/length to allow the vents to fully close,but I don't know where you might access or adjust the cable. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

You will need to remove the lower cowl (with fog lights) in order to access the adjustment. Once you remove it, you'll see the place where the cable that comes from the control splits into two, one going to each side. Just below this, you'll see two adjusters. Loosen the jam nut on each adjuster, then unscrew the adjuster until the door closes all the way, then retighten the jam nut.

Foot Warmer Cable Adjustment
Foot Warmer Cable Adjustment

KJohn
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 deluxe

Re: GL1800 foot warmer vent panels

Postby KJohn » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:01 pm

Thankyou WingAdmin! This was exactly the information I was looking for. Now that summer temps are supposedly here....it will be nice to close those foot warmer vents!

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”