Gas smell on stops

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
garlo
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 [ my '' new '' baby ]
2012 Stateline [ sold ]
1984 GL1200 Interstate [ sold ]

Gas smell on stops

Postby garlo » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:52 pm

Good day fellas [ and any gal that is reading this ]

I have an 09 'wing and lately I have been noticing a smell of gas when I am stopped. Unfortunately - I have no clue as to where to start looking to see what is going on.

Can anyone enlighten me a bit on a starting point?

Also - while I am in the ''house'' - I am the 2nd owner [ 29750 miles on the odo ] and am wondering if there is anything I should be looking for as far as upkeep goes at this distance??

I do not know what [ if anything ] has been done to my ride other than new rubber approx. 1000 miles ago.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated

Have a truly fantastic day one and all.................

╔══════════════════════════════════╗
I used to be addicted to soap , but I'm clean now !
╚══════════════════════════════════╝

PastoT
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (107k)

Re: Gas smell on stops

Postby PastoT » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:33 pm

On the fuel smell issue, I have an 02 that when I refuel and top it off it will vapor gas smell when its hot outside. Apparently it's not uncommon and to date I've not found a leak; a couple of riders locally have the same issue and its been 105 degrees here for the last few weeks, it only happens to me when its very hot and after I've refueled. I'm filling it a bit less than I have previously and see if that helps, unless I'm going to be on the road for an hour. In my case the gas smell is really bad when I park it in the garage and don't leave the door open for an hour; once cooled down I don't notice it.
Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 108k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"

garlo
2012 Stateline [ sold ]

Postby garlo » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:07 am

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately - heat doesn't seem to be a factor here. I will get it even when cool. I am in Southern Ontario and the temps have been well below average so far. I have only had the bike since Oct last year and nothing at that time to indicate any type of fuel problem. The first 4-5 weeks of riding produced nothing of concern and it just seemed to pop up on one of my rides. I thought it was the old ''junker'' beside me at the light.

Anyway - again I thank you and it looks like I am gonna have to ''strip'' my baby to see if there are any probs ''under the hood'' so to speak.

"Recovering" from a 12 hour ride day........ :D
Have a great one out there and keep the shiny side upright.

PastoT
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (107k)

Postby PastoT » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:13 pm

I recall reading on anoher forum an article about a charcoal canister that catches excess fuel and vapor that is suppsed to outgas back into the airbox. Story was if its lines get plugged it can produce raw gas smell. I've not followed up on it as I don't have the problem consistantly and it was described as requiring pulling a lot of tupperware off. My thought is if this canister does exist than I'm putting too much fuel in the tank and it being vented into it, the heat here would or from the engine would evaporate it and with the bike at idle or shut down the fumes would have to become noticeable. BTW I fueled a bit short of where I try to top off at and didn't have the issue this last weekend.
Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 108k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"

Steve F
Motorcycle: 1976 Honda CB750F Cafe' (sold :>( )
'03 GL1800

Postby Steve F » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:27 am

There is a canister and I believe it's located in the front, lower section of the front lower cowl (you need to remove it to gain access to the clutch bleeder). The canister is shown in this video at the 48 second mark:

"To ride is the reason, the destination the excuse."

garlo
2012 Stateline [ sold ]

Postby garlo » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:08 am

Thanks for the replies so far

I will definitely check the charcoal canister issue and see what that produces.

Have a truly fantastic day and don't forget to smile at those who are not so happy with whatever you are doing. Makes them the lesser person.

Red Ron
Motorcycle: '08, '13 GL1800
Rear-Yoko Avid Envigor 195x55x16
Front-Battleaxe BT-45

Postby Red Ron » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:46 am

The evap canister is located in front of the oil filter. It sometimes gets in the way if you use longer filters. Also you asked about other maintainence. May want to look into changing the air filter and spark plugs. Although some go 40K or more without adverse issues. Air filter may be a little clogged, espically if a mouse got in there and built a nest which sometimes happen. Not sure but, if the air filter is badly clogged it may cause the fuel smell.

garlo
2012 Stateline [ sold ]

Postby garlo » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:37 pm

Red Ron wrote:The evap canister is located in front of the oil filter. It sometimes gets in the way if you use longer filters. Also you asked about other maintainence. May want to look into changing the air filter and spark plugs. Although some go 40K or more without adverse issues. Air filter may be a little clogged, espically if a mouse got in there and built a nest which sometimes happen. Not sure but, if the air filter is badly clogged it may cause the fuel smell.

Thanks for this response. I will most definatly check the filter and plugs

Paulcf
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 Massively Heavy Luxury Touring

Postby Paulcf » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:47 pm

I have/had this same problem, strong smell of gas, especially when it is hot out and the engine is hot (radiating heat up thru the gas tank). I too have to leave my garage door partly open for a few hours. Since my Wing is a 2003, I bought a new gas cap. I was surprised to see that the rubber gasket in my original cap was quite worn vs. the new cap. Has it made a difference? Yes, it is much less offensive but still there, I can live with it. I suspect when the gasoline gets really heated up, maybe it expands slightly or it makes it more likely to vaporize/fumes and the fumes will get by the cap since I believe the cap has to allow air in to fill the void as the gasoline is drawn into the engine and burned. I'm not an engineer or scientist but I know now that my new gas cap has reduced the reeking smell of gasoline after a ride on a hot day when my bike is parked in my garage by about 80%.

I also tested this prior to getting the new gas cap: I would remove the gas cap when I got back from a long ride and it was hot. I would use a plastic (clean!) grocery bag and fold it 2 times and then gently screwed the gas cap back on. That did reduce the smell a lot, hence why I spent $28 (approx.) for the new gas cap.

MOBILIS IN MOBILI

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”