ignition does not shut off

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Leonard60
Motorcycle: 2008 Honda GL1800 CSC Trike

ignition does not shut off

Postby Leonard60 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:15 pm

I have a 2008 GL1800 with 2012 csc trike kit. Turn key off and bike keeps running. Any one know the cause and how to fix it???? Leonard.........

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Re: ignition does not shut off

Postby redial » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:56 pm

An immediate fix is to use the "Kill" switch.But do not forget to put it back to normal operation :o
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

trike lady
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade with Voyager (Sold)
1983 GL650I SilverWing Interstate

Postby trike lady » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:32 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum.
Many times the 'A' relay alongside the battery hangs up. You may want to disconnect the battery negative cable.
I.M.B.B.A. Technician II Certified

Jerrydfl
Motorcycle: 2008 gl1800

Postby Jerrydfl » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:40 am

Hi everyone,

I had a similar problem the other day. My 2006 goldwing has the CSC 2012 trike conversion and I have owned the bike for 5 month(I have put 3K miles so far on it)
After a 1/1/2 ride the other day the bike would not shut off. I had to use the kill switch, which turned off the engine,
but the headlights and the neutral lite were still on. ( the display that shows the GPS, radio info did turn off with the kill switch.)
I disconnected the ground side of the battery, had lunch and the bike started up ok.
After I got home, I tried about 20 times ( turning off and on) and it always shut off with NO problems.
A question, where is the "A" relay that was suggested in the earlier post. If it is on the positive battery side, how do you get to it with the conversion kit on?
Also, the relay box under the seat is the "A" relay in there? And how do I remove the cover to see or replace the relays (it looks like there are 4 rows of relays with a green tab on each side for the 1st row and different colors for the other rows) Do you just push on the green tabs and that row drops down?

Another note on the problem, when the kill switch was used to kill the engine the neutral lite dimmed a little ( my guess is that with the engine on, the battery voltage was higher because of the alternator which is normal.)

Jerry Deibel

showarider27
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800

Postby showarider27 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:24 pm

What did you ever figure out Jerry? Mine did it tonight :cry:

Thanks,
Kip

Jerrydfl
Motorcycle: 2008 gl1800

Postby Jerrydfl » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:53 am

Kip,
Hope this will help some.
Problem: Bike won't turn off with key. Kill switch shuts off engine, but neutral lite, tail lites and I think headlights were still on.

About 2 weeks after it originally failed, it did it again and this time I wanted to write down everything that was still on or working, BUT before I could start (I tried turning the key on and off a few times) it shut off like its susposed to.

When i got home and looking at the wiring diagrams I thought maybe it was the iginiton switch. I went to remove it to clean it and check it out, but it has security bolts (got to drill them out to get the switch out.. Forget that!
So on page 3-4 of the ETM I see where the ignition switch feeds a bunch of relays. One being the tail relay (remembering the tail lights still on), I wanted to try something so I swapped the tail relay with the heater relay(dont need heated grips in florida) and I also jammed a wire into the tail relay and brought that out under the seat (taped up) so I could see if 12 volts was there when it failed again. ( which would point to the ignition switch)

9 months later...... no failures at all.
Was it the tail relay? I am not going to swap the relays back. The wire is still there and I have my pencil and paper to document what is still on.

Also, After it happened the first time I ALWAYS use the kill switch first and then turn the key to off.

Good luck
Jerry

showarider27

Postby showarider27 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:08 am

I literally just walked into the garage to take the seat off when I got your reply. :D
Mine is doing the EXACT same thing as yours did.
I'm going to switch relays and see if it goes away.
I will update on my status.
Thank you so much for replying!
Kip

showarider27

Postby showarider27 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:45 am

OK... I found that when I turned the key off, the engine and power would stay on until I removed the high AND low beam relays. I can also power down by removing the same two fuses.
I switched the accessory & horn relays with the hi/lo relays & NO difference at all :evil:
Nothing to this point has caused the headlights to come on, or turn signals to flash.

Moisture/corrosion in the headlight plug?
Grrr

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”