Front Left Rotor Rubbing Caliper

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
radar726
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1800

Front Left Rotor Rubbing Caliper

Postby radar726 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:04 am

Howdy,

Didn't find this anywhere so figured I would post. If I am mistaken please point me to the appropriate topic.

I have a 2001 GL1800 and recently I heard a popping noise and the front wheel sounded as if it was rubbing. At first it sounded like when you first get your brakes done and the pads rub a bit before being seated and worn in. It comes and goes, mostly at slower speeds. When I got home I took the front fairing apart and noticed that the front left rotor is rubbing against the inside of the brake caliper assembly. The rotor is rubbing on the inside left side of the caliper.

I pulled the caliper off the mount, cleared the corrosion and greased the little pins that mount the caliper on the mounting assembly (not sure what they are called but their the pins that allow the caliper to "float" back and forth on the mount). Remounted it and bled the brake system; front and back.

The right caliper and rotor show no signs of damage. I am at a loss at to what is going on that is making that rotor rub the caliper assembly. Any help would be appreciated.

I'll try and post pictures of the damage if that would help.

Thanks,
Patrick
Not as lean, or as mean but always a Marine.

FlyBoy2121
Motorcycle: Honda GoldWing
Gl 1800 2003

Re: Front Left Rotor Rubbing Caliper

Postby FlyBoy2121 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:49 am

I Radar 726

Good idea to post photos, we will give you better help !!!!!!!!

FlyBoy2121

radar726

Postby radar726 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:44 pm

Absolutely...

This one is a view from the front facing rearwards. Kinda hard to see so indicated with the area the area of wear.

This is with the caliper off the rotor and is a straight on view.

Last one is an angled view so you can see the extend of the damage where the rotor is fully contacting the caliper frame and wearing.

Just thought of this, could that be from uneven caliper piston pressure? Where one or more of the three caliper pistons is not pushing evenly with the rest? Only thing I hadn't thought of until just now.

Patrick

FlyBoy2121
Gl 1800 2003

Postby FlyBoy2121 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:40 pm

I Radar 726 !!!!!!! Excuse my English I did my best

WOW !!!!!!! a hard problem to analise, the first time I see That.

Go check this address, you see the front caliper assembly.

http://www.wingtechtips.com/1800EPSS/ep ... pro228.htm

If your wheel is turning right, centered in the fork.

If the caliper slides well in the caliper pin boot and pin pad on the caliper mounting on the picture

If other end of the caliper is nothing you have not a good distribution of freinnage, or both piston top are frozen in rust.a hard problem to analisea hard problem to analise.

When you find the problem you told us.

FlyBoy 2121

radar726

Postby radar726 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:07 pm

Yes indeed it is a hard problem, I have not seen this before either.

At first we thought the cause was the two pins that the caliper "floats" on, attached to the mounting, were seized up. We knocked the corrosion off, cleaned them up and greased them. That didn't help. Still have the problem, but today I noticed that it happens primarily when I turn, especially a u-turn. Did five hours worth of u-turning so had plenty of time to notice when it would occur. Mostly right after the u-turn but at times it would happen when I would slow to 25 or 30. Then it goes away once I get up to around 50 mph.

Guess I will just take the bike in to the shop and see what they say. Once I find out what the problem is I will definitely post it here.

Thanks,
Patrick

FlyBoy2121
Gl 1800 2003

Postby FlyBoy2121 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:43 am

I Radar 726 !!!!

This page you have a diagram, how the brake fluid is workings, look at all the page !!!!!!

http://www.wingtechtips.com/1800EPSS/ep ... pro153.htm

I want to know if the disc brake solid in place, I check on my GL 1800 2003 and the disc is solid in place ? ? ?

I see the disc rubbing just the top of the caliper, on the pictures Ok !!!!!!

there is a twist on your disc brake to do that,it why asking if the disc brake on the wheel is solid !!!!!!

I wait your answer !!!!!!!

FlyBoy 2121

gareva1
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 Prem Audio

Postby gareva1 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:45 am

I think your front wheel is misaligned causing this issue...see the link below, particularly post number 7, which shows the proper way to install the front wheel, as well as the reference distance for the caliper; you can check the distance with a feeler gauge before you start, but I bet you'll find it's out:

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthre ... el+install

FlyBoy2121
Gl 1800 2003

Postby FlyBoy2121 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:25 pm

I gareva1 Excuse my English, I live in Quebec Canada is French language here !!!!!!!!!

I look in my shop manual, if possible, install the wheel quaver ?????????????

It is practically impossible to assemble like this.

Must fork is twisted ??????????

I am eager to know, to explain the problem. :roll:

FlyBoy 2121

gareva1

Postby gareva1 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:08 am

your translator did not help for that one...I think you asked if the wheel can be installed incorrectly. Yes, it can be installed incorrecty quite easily.

radar726

Postby radar726 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:31 pm

Nope, wheel is installed and balanced properly. Feeler gauge shows the rotor to caliper spacing is appropriate. So that means to me that the caliper is moving and making contact with the rotor at some point wheel driving.

That makes me think that something is bent or misaligned on the caliper to caliper mount.

Patrick

gareva1

Postby gareva1 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:06 pm

well, you could put the bike on the centerstand, then put a block or jack under the front to bring the front wheel off the ground...then you could spin the wheel and push on it in different directions to see if there's any play in the wheel assembly. Of course while it's up you can try to move the caliper and disc as well.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”