Garmin nanny.

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
az1103
Motorcycle: 2015 GL1800 level3

Garmin nanny.

Postby az1103 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:09 pm

Has anyone figured out yet how to bypass the Garmin nanny? If you can't even cancel a route while moving the whole system becomes more irritating than useful.
Also I just purchased a brand new level 3 GL1800, the map that comes with the system is a 2014 rev.4 map! The current is a year and two revisions newer!!!
I have an additional Zumo 660 mounted and just to check how they compare I set both units to route home from my local gas station.
The Zumo calculated in nothing flat and offered a straight line route as I always would take.
The internal unit came up with some convoluted thing which I would pity anyone for taking!!!
It seems the built in navigation is all but useless!

What a monumental waste of money! :o

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: Garmin nanny.

Postby themainviking » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:37 am

az1103 wrote:It seems the built in navigation is all but useless!

What a monumental waste of money! :o

Pretty much. For our older ones, Garmin offers updates which are a year and a couple of versions out of date when supplied. Some of us have learned how to make our own maps from Garmins City Navigator North America disks, and have gotten at least up to within three months. This works up to and including 2010, but I personally know nothing about the 2012 and newer units. I have heard that even when the City Navigator disks come out, they are only up to date within two years, so for a year old map on your bike, it is probably from three years ago. The roads are surveyed, and then NavTec or NavTel or a company by similar name collates them and sells them to Garmin/Magellan/TomTom etc, and they publish them as updates. This all takes a while from start to finish, so truly up to date GPS mapping is not really possible. How long, however, does it take to build a new or rebuild an old highway.

As far as the nanny goes, there are mods that override the system so you can make changes or turn things on or off while moving, but only for 2010 and older. As I said above, I know nothing about 2012 or newer.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

jinx
Motorcycle: 2006 gl1800

Postby jinx » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:50 am

As far as I know the speed sense mod works on all models. On the 2012 you should be able to use any of the mods that breaks the speed sense line temporarily. Easiest one is to install a switch to break the speed sense line. Just remember the map location will be locked and it may disable the self cancelling turn signals while the speed sense line is open .
As far as the maps go if you visit some of the GPS boards you will get the necessary info to update your maps to the most current.

If anyone has hard evidence that either of my statements above are wrong please post. I have yet to hear of or know of a failure where it wasn't an error in the installation or operation of the mod.

I am not blasting anyone but would be interested in finding a solution if the mods don't work on 2012 and up. I need a good winter project. I'm running
out of mods to do to my bike.

az1103

Postby az1103 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:01 am

Jinx if you really mean: "I am not blasting anyone but would be interested in finding a solution if the mods don't work on 2012 and up. I need a good winter project. I'm running
out of mods to do to my bike." Then how about figuring out how to connect the intercom microphone to an external GPS such as my Zumo660 so I can make full use of it's Bluetooth with my I-phone ! I already have the unit to inject the GPS sound to the intercom but it does nothing for the mike . The GPS harness has a mike input but how can I hook it up?

jinx

Postby jinx » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:35 am

I assume you are hardwired into the bikes intercom.Also I am not that familiar with the 660 or the Iphone but i will try.

There is a mod on the sena website that may do what you want. It is a mod that hard wires a sena headset in to the wings intercom so the CB can be used with the sena headset. It should allow the 660 to communicate to the bikes intercom thru the SMH10.

Let me know if that is helpful.

az1103

Postby az1103 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:54 am

The 660 mount has power wires, traffic receiver usb connector, sound out jack and mike jack both jacks are std. 3.5mm. I have a Goldwing GPS Input connector http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gps_inp ... 120/137230 so all I lack is how to hook up the mike. Then the i-phone would communicate with the 660 over Bluetooth and I could speak into mike instead of screaming over road noise at the Zumo mike.

jinx

Postby jinx » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:54 am

Thanks for the info. Are you handy doing with electrical mods? If so look at this thread on the sena site. replace the sena smh-10 with the garmin connectors.

http://support.sena.com/entries/2084526 ... interface-

Goto the post on Dec 27,2013 by Steven Schmidt .

az1103

Postby az1103 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:21 pm

jinx wrote:Thanks for the info. Are you handy doing with electrical mods? If so look at this thread on the sena site. replace the sena smh-10 with the garmin connectors.

http://support.sena.com/entries/2084526 ... interface-

Goto the post on Dec 27,2013 by Steven Schmidt .

Thank you!!! I shall study this and see what I can do!! Thanks again!

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”