Takata Airbag recall for Cars ?? Goldwing

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
mcbrown
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800CADA
1978 GL1000 K3 sold
1975 Gl1000 K1 sold
Honda CB500/4 sold
Honda CB450 twin sold

Takata Airbag recall for Cars ?? Goldwing

Postby mcbrown » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:54 am

I'm sure many of you are aware of the airbag recall for Honda cars as well as various other car makers numbering in the millions due to a fault in the Takata airbags fitted to these vehicles. Apparently shrapnel-shooting inflator parts from Japanese supplier Takata have caused the death of at least eight people in minor accidents. Takata airbags were initially fitted to Goldwings but is that still the case and are they still installed in Goldwings?
I have a 2010 Airbag Goldwing so just wanting to find out if anyone has any knowledge related to this situation. I have looked around on the web but have not seen anything yet related to Goldwings.

Please see following link.

http://www.takata.com/pdf/080417_en.pdf

Murray

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Re: Takata Airbag recall for Cars ?? Goldwing

Postby harvey01 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:43 pm

Have you contacted American Honda to see what they say? I'd give them a call if I had any concerns and if the air bags are by Takata, then I would probably check with NHTSA. but I doubt there have been any reports to them yet due to the very low volume of GoldWings with airbags and the likely hood of deployments.

Maybe enough folks will see this that anyone who has experienced a airbag deployment will report their experiences.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

mcbrown
1978 GL1000 K3 sold
1975 Gl1000 K1 sold
Honda CB500/4 sold
Honda CB450 twin sold

Postby mcbrown » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:28 pm

Hi Harvey, I'm in Perth Western Australia and have spoken to the service department of both Goldwing dealers here and they say there has not been any notifications of airbag recalls here. They often say to us "we are waiting to see what happens in the US". I myself have not experienced an airbag deployment and hope I never will. If anyone has had the misfortune to experience an airbag deployment on a Goldwing I would appreciate any feedback on that experience.
I presume the deployment mechanism in the Goldwing is different to those in a car. There are some traumatic pictures on the web of unfortunate people who have been killed by the airbag and not the accident which triggered the airbag deployment.

Murray

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:21 am

I do not believe Honda will ever come out with a recall for Goldwing Airbags. It took eight deaths and a whole lot of time and pressure for them to admit to a fault with the car airbags. It will take probably at least that many on the Goldwings for them to recall them, and as we ride a whole lot more carefully and attentively than car pilots drive, eight deaths where airbags deployed on Goldwings could take twenty five years or more.

In addition, I am amazed how little Honda dealerships know about Goldwings. The other brand I rode prior to this Goldwing, the dealerships were complete sources of information for both newer and older motorcycles of their brand. Honda dealerships either know nothing, or deny knowing anything even if they do. Even the best dealerships are sadly lacking in readily available knowledge.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

mcbrown
1978 GL1000 K3 sold
1975 Gl1000 K1 sold
Honda CB500/4 sold
Honda CB450 twin sold

Postby mcbrown » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:01 am

I posted this topic in July 2015 and now its happening.
I received a letter from Honda today stating that my 2010 Goldwing is on the list for a recall relating to the Takata airbag stating "The propellant wafers in some of the subject inflators may degrade over time, which could lead to over-aggressive combustion in the event the airbag activated." This may apparently cause the inflator body to rupture causing metal fragments to pass through the airbag and hit the rider.
Honda stated they will notify me when the parts are available and arrange a fix at my local dealer at no cost to me . They will be starting with the oldest models first as it is related to degradation over time so they have a higher possibility of malfunction.

Brakes and now airbags. What's next??

Murray

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:05 pm

And then there is this story, that just came out today:

http://money.cnn.com/2016/06/30/autos/t ... index.html

Stop driving these Hondas right now, says regulator

Federal safety regulators warned owners of more than 300,000 Hondas and Acuras to immediately stop driving their cars until their Takata airbags are replaced.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said new tests show the airbags at issue have a 50% chance of exploding when deployed in an accident -- compared to a 1% chance for other airbags.

"The risk posed by the airbag inflators in these vehicles is grave, and it is critical they be repaired now to avoid more deaths and serious injuries," said the agency's statement.

Nearly 70 million airbags in U.S. cars have been or will be recalled as part of a massive safety scandal enveloping Takata since 2014.

Cars located in humid regions of the country such as Texas, Florida and the Gulf Coast are at particular risk.

Exploding Takata airbags have been tied to 10 deaths in the U.S., and eight of those were in cars that had the specific type of airbag at issue in Thursday's warning.

This group of cars is a small subset of cars with Takata airbags that have been already recalled. The number of cars needing repairs is less than that because some cars have two Takata airbags that need to be replaced.

But it is estimated that at least 20% of the 260 million cars on U.S. roads have or had a defective Takata airbag.

The airbags are spread across 13 different automakers, including all of the major ones. Honda -- both the Honda brand and its luxury Acura -- has by far had the most cars affected by the recall.

It will take until 2019 to replace these airbags because not all of the parts are immediately available.

Honda (HMC) has the replacement parts to fix all of the 300,000 high-risk cars covered by this alert, NHTSA said.

The models identified by NHTSA include: 2001-2002 Honda Civic, 2001-2002 Honda Accord, 2002-2003 Acura TL, 2002 Honda CR-V, 2002 Honda Odyssey, 2003 Acura CL, 2003 Honda Pilot.

About 700,000 cars with the high risk airbags have already been fixed. The recalls for these models took place between 2008 and 2011.

But it often takes years for recalled cars to be fixed. On average about a third of recalled vehicles are never repaired, according to industry estimates. That's true even in the case of high profile recalls involving multiple deaths.

According to NHTSA, 8.9 million Takata airbags were replaced in the last year. But that only represents about a third of the cars in which owners have been notified that a replacement part is available.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:02 am

Well, I stand corrected. I did not think they would ever recall the Goldwings because it is too small a market share to bother with. Now that Australia is doing it, and the U.S. for the southern and humid states, I suppose in seven or eight years they may get north, :lol:

It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”