Excessive road feedback through floorboards

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
mjt
Motorcycle: 2007 GL1800 Audio Comfort

Excessive road feedback through floorboards

Postby mjt » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:45 am

Not long ago (May), I bought a 2007 GL1800 with 13,500 and now have 16,600. (Give me a break, I'm "sharing mileage" with an ST1300, NC700, CBR1000f, and two cars )

I replaced the [original] tires with Bridgestone "Goldwing-spec" tires, front and rear. I thought replacing the [Dunlops] would solve two issues, but the issues persist.

a) The bike has aftermarket floorboards (Kuryakyn?) ... I feel *every* single bump in the road through those boards. Seriously, I feel every little crack in the road, at highway speed or 30-40mph city roads. If I lift my feet off the 'boards, I do not feel the excessive feedback. The g/f says she feels nothing through the stock Pillion boards.

...I can't stress this enough ... it feels as if I'm riding a hard-tail. If I ride the same exact roads with my ST or NC or CBR, I feel nothing as excessive (through the footpegs) as the 'Wing.

b) When I lean into a turn or curve, I feel a "groaning" back through the pegs. My first inclination is "bad wheel bearings", but I checked those when I mounted the new tires[1] and they're good (they should be with 15k miles).

Any thoughts on the excessive road feedback through the floorboards? It's annoying and the ride is very unpleasant for me, which contradicts what riding bikes is all about.

[1] - Yes, I do *all* work on all my bikes and cars - tires, engine, tranny, suspension, brakes, ad nauseum.

2007 Black GL1800
2003 Silver ST1300
2012 Silver NC700
1993 Black CBR1000F

pgfireman
Motorcycle: 2007 GL 1800 Navi, 2004 Suzuki V Strom

Re: Excessive road feedback through floorboards

Postby pgfireman » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:16 pm

I have a 2007 GL with Kury highway boards and feel exactly the same feedback you do. Mine are mounted on the engine guards. However, I do not feel the feedback with my feet on the regular pegs at all. I thought my situation was because of the mounting position not the boards. Who knows? I can corner at good highway speeds and plenty of lean with my feet on the highway boards and don't get any strange feedback. Hmmm. Sorry cant help, do you have original pegs? Can you try a set from another bike for quick ride?

m2102
Motorcycle: new to me 1800 wing

Postby m2102 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:56 pm

glad I saw this thread. I have been feeling the same in my hiway pegs. can't say I felt it when I first put them on but lately I can feel it. I have the feeling that it is a sign that the forks and springs are going bad. when I get the chance I plan on changing the springs to progressive.

mjt

SOLVED: Excessive road feedback through floorboards

Postby mjt » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:58 am

Yea, I realize it's been a while since I've responded. First off, I performed a "quick fix test" using some 2-inch discharge hose for gasket material between the floorboard brackets and the frame.

Turns out the floorboards are bolted directly to the frame, with no gasket material between the metals. The discharge hose gasket proved this is the issue. Obviously, this was a temporary test ...

Yesterday, I went to Turner Hardware (this store (Houston) has literally, at least, one of everything ... this ain't your big-box h/w store) and bought a one-foot-by-one-foot piece of 1/8" thick rubber gasket material, 4 8mmx30mm stainless steel (original is about 20-25mm length) button-head bolts, 4 fiber washers.

I cut the rubber gasket material to custom curvature for each floorboard mounting bracket, drilled holes appropriately for each bolt hole (shifter side required an additional hole for an exposed nut in frame), then mated each bracket in turn, using the fiber washer inserted onto each bolt end, then tightened 'em up.

Besides the thick rubber gasket, the fiber washer provides some "anti-vibration" where the bolt meets the mounting bracket. The ultimate solution for the bolt would be to use a nylon insert, surrounding the bolt, to "insulate" it from the bracket [hole], providing further vibration transfer.

Hope this assists others regarding the same issue.
2007 Black GL1800
2003 Silver ST1300
2012 Silver NC700
1993 Black CBR1000F

Tepcro
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1800

Postby Tepcro » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:38 pm

I have found that handle bar grips, pegs and floorboards may look like Kurkyan products but are China knockoffs.
I bought some brand new cruze pegs for my 1800 and found that when they got there, they were cheap knockoffs!
The mounting hardware was not of the same quality as Kurykan pegs, they didn't have washers and rubber shims and certain spacers that the originals do.
After some modifications and a couple of trips to a bike shop for the right clamps and hardware, my pegs work great....
but they still aren't the real thing!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:11 am

Tepcro wrote:I have found that handle bar grips, pegs and floorboards may look like Kurkyan products but are China knockoffs.
I bought some brand new cruze pegs for my 1800 and found that when they got there, they were cheap knockoffs!
The mounting hardware was not of the same quality as Kurykan pegs, they didn't have washers and rubber shims and certain spacers that the originals do.
After some modifications and a couple of trips to a bike shop for the right clamps and hardware, my pegs work great....

Where did you purchase them?

mjt

Postby mjt » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:17 am

Tepcro wrote:I have found that handle bar grips, pegs and floorboards may look like Küryakyn products but are China knockoffs.
The mounting hardware was not of the same quality as Küryakyn pegs, they didn't have washers and rubber shims and certain spacers that the originals do.

Thanks for the feedback - I hadn't considered whether these are knock-offs or real Küryakyn. The PO I bought the bike from added all the farkles.

Is there some "identifying marker" that would tell us if we have Küryakyn floorboards or not? I don't see a "Küryakyn" stamp anywhere.
And based on the photographs I see on the Küryakyn website, the markings suggest Küryakyn's are on my bike (but yea, they could be copied exactly).
2007 Black GL1800
2003 Silver ST1300
2012 Silver NC700
1993 Black CBR1000F

Tepcro
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1800

Postby Tepcro » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:04 am

Actually I have more than the pegs that are knockoffs
The P.O. put knockoff grips on this bike too (they way I know is the way they are sticky every time I grab them) not the same quality of materials.
The foot pegs look like the real thing and I bought them on EBay

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”