Trailer informations

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800

Trailer informations

Postby josscha58 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:01 pm

I am a new owner of a goldwing 2009 sincère two years. This summer we went in vacation for 7 days. I had the three Goldwing liners as a luggage. I was not ready to buy a Trailer before, but after having seen how it is practical, I am now ready to buy one but need morte info.

My questions are, what is the best to buy ? Mary used to sell are with a regular spring and other more expansive are with torsion bar, what is the best to pull ?

Is the diameter of the wheel very important ?

Is the one wheel Trailer style better ?

Thank in advance,

Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Re: Trailer informations

Postby harvey01 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:48 pm

Are you ever in for a bunch of answers and our opinions. I have owned two trailers, the first was a Neosho Starlight. It had torsion suspension, and small wheels and a swivel hitch. It towed real easy, and was never a problem. I towed it with a 93 Venture for years and then with a GL1800. Value for money spent this is an excellent trailer.

Now I have a Bushtec with air suspension, and taller wheels. It tows better but you really can't tell the difference till you get on good curvy twisty roads and are pushing things a bit. It also has bushtec's unique swivel hitch.

I would never tow a trailer behind a motorcycle without a swivel hitch. I really like the air suspension as I can adjust things to the optimum depending on the load in the trailer. I prefer this to a trailer with the suspension preset.

The Bushtec is a lot more expensive than the Neosho. Is it worth the difference, probably but the Neosho was probably the best value. One big advantage to the smaller wheels is that many Walmarts and other stores carry them with tires already mounted so you can just walk in and buy a replacement. You are pretty limited with the Bushtec to ordering them from them or from a supplier of a similar tire. Most of these tires do last for 30 to 50 thousand miles if correctly inflated and the suspension properly adjusted.

You can be just as happy with a Neosho or with a Bushtec.

If money was no object I would want to try a Tailwind, but they are way to rich for my blood.
Ride Safe and Ride Often

Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800-HPNA - 20,000+ miles
1988 Bunkhouse camping trailer
Darkside #1720

Postby wingpilot08 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:55 pm

It is really a decision that you have to make. Are you looking for just a cargo trailer or a camping trailer. I started out with a Harbor Freight trailer that I purchased built and added a car top carrier. We used it to carry our camping gear. We then were able to buy a used Bunkhouse trailer..which we still have and use.
08' GL1800-HPNA - Red 20,000+ miles
1988 Bunkhouse Trailer/Camper
Darkside #1720

Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800

Postby josscha58 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:50 am

Thank you for your answers, it will help me a lot.

Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:26 pm

Since you're in Canada (as I am), you might want to check Costco for the "Lugg & Roll" Platinum trailers. That's where I bought mine. As a bonus, they're built in Quebec! They have the torsion-bar suspension, alloy wheels, all LED lighting, high-gloss gelcoated fiberglass shell, etc. etc. They appear to be VERY high quality.

People will advise that there were instances in the past (several years ago) where there was a problem with the torsion bar system. That occurred with the previous manufacturer of these trailers - the Lugg & Roll company uses torsion systems from a different manufacturer, and has no problems at all.

Plus, of course, you get the Costco warranty (above and beyond the manufacturer's one) that pretty much lasts a lifetime.

Here's mine -
**Sorry - I'm getting a picture-posting glitch (some kind of "runtime error"), so here's a link to my previous post about the trailer (WITH pics!)... viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13011&hilit=trailer&start=50 with my post being the one on Saturday, October 4th 2014 (most of the way down the page).

Here's a link for the Costco is free, too! ... 56128.html

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”