Michelin Commander II Tires

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
slbarnesjr
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800

Michelin Commander II Tires

Postby slbarnesjr » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:47 am

I recently purchased my second set of Bridgestone Exedras for my 2012 GL1800 and my shop guy asked if I had considered the Michelin Commander IIs. I have never heard anything about these tires and can find hardly any talk among wing owners that have experienced them. He told me there's a claim that these tires will last twice as long as their closest competitor's tire. They are priced in the same range as the most popular wing tires but I find it odd that there is not much discussion on them. Does anybody have a word on these tires for the GL1800?

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: Michelin Commander II Tires

Postby themainviking » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:30 am

It does not appear that Michelin makes these tires for the GL1800, which recommends a Radial tire. They make a size in bias ply that would fit, and they do make this tire in radial, but not sized for GL1800's. This according to Michelin's web site. I also cannot find these tires for sale in a radial to fit a GL1800 anywhere, online or in store, which would also indicate that Michelin does not make them in a proper sized radial. If I could find them though, I would give them a try. I like Michelin. If anyone finds information counter to what I have found, please post it, as I would be most interested.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

slbarnesjr
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800

Postby slbarnesjr » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:45 am

I appreciate your informative response. Michelin is a very good brand and it would be a positive for us if they made a tire for the GL1800.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:33 pm

Michelin claim on their international site, that they do not make any tyres for the Goldwings. However, they do make a CT, that is also a Run Flat that should fit.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

joeincalif
Motorcycle: 1997 Gold Wing SE

Postby joeincalif » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:56 pm

Next time you might look into the Metzler ME880 or 888. Had them on my Nomad (they do make them for the Wing also), nice tire and grea5t handling
IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE

Red Ron
Motorcycle: '08, '13 GL1800
Rear-Yoko Avid Envigor 195x55x16
Front-Battleaxe BT-45

Postby Red Ron » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:03 am

Buddy of mine uses them on his ultra and claims he gets twice the milage. He used to have a wing and said he thought they had them for the wing but maybe not.

charliektm400exc
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE

Postby charliektm400exc » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:46 pm

There is a lot of discussion elsewhere about a 888 that is made for the wing. I don't think it's been formally announced yet, but is due to be announced very soon. Lots of good comments from people who say they have them.

Don't quit understand how people can have them, and they aren't announced, but that seems to be what's happening.

g2loq
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800

Postby g2loq » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:37 pm

Hello,

Just my perception about the mast two entries regarding the Metzeler M888:

I have them on my GL1800 since March and 8000 km. They look able to do a lot more, i.e. much more than I could achieve so far, with others;
The original fit were Bridgestone (I appreciated most the positionning of the front wheel into curves). Done 11 000 km with them
Then I had M880 and appreciated most the rigidity and grip of the rear on humid roads. Ran 11 000 km with them.
Then I went back to the bridgestone for another 12 000km.
I am very pleased with the M888: it shows there are of a recent development, with a very rigid frame and a gum which is performing well on humid / cold weather but still hard enough to make the tire last much longer than the M880 developed many years ago.
In two words: anyone from my Goldwing Forum in France (goldwingpartage.com) who tried them, did appreciate them.
They were sold in France since 3rd Quarter 2011 and here in Germany since early this year.

I wish you they shall be available at your place soon !

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:08 pm

Metzler's 888s are available in Canada also, and have been for a while. I still wish Michelin would step up to the plate with a radial for the GL1800. The only thing I am deciding not to put back on my bike are front tires with a rain groove straight around the center of the tire. I am beginning to believe that this is what is causing a lot of the wobbles we get.

ImageImage

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Postby Wingsconsin » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:52 am

themainviking wrote:Metzler's 888s are available in Canada also, and have been for a while. I still wish Michelin would step up to the plate with a radial for the GL1800. The only thing I am deciding not to put back on my bike are front tires with a rain groove straight around the center of the tire. I am beginning to believe that this is what is causing a lot of the wobbles we get.

Agreed on the center groove. But the Bridgestone is currently the best in my until something else comes along.

I currently am running the Commander II on my Suzuki GS850 - and it is a really nice tire.
But it IS bias Ply and not designed for the 'Wing - Wears well and sticks great - currently I have 4000 miles on them and they look like new.
I DO wish Michelin would make a Goldwing tire with a 70 series rear option.
Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

CMReynolds1
Motorcycle: 2013 F6B

Postby CMReynolds1 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:59 am

I might have missed it, but are the 888's radial? Sorry if this is rather dumb question, it has been a hard week on my old, feeble gray matter!
Attachments
Ride Safe,
Taz

TF 116, RivRon 512, Can Tho, S. Vietnam, 8/66-/9/68, GM(G)2

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:28 am

CMReynolds1 wrote:I might have missed it, but are the 888's radial? Sorry if this is rather dumb question, it has been a hard week on my old, feeble gray matter!

They come both ways, bias ply and radial.

ImageImage

g2loq
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800

Postby g2loq » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:49 am

Hello

@CMReynolds1 : steel radial: You may read the complete description (and more) on these pages http://www.metzeler.com/site/us/products/tyres-catalogue/ME_888_marathon_ultra.html?version=989954

Have a nice week-end !

CMReynolds1
Motorcycle: 2013 F6B

Postby CMReynolds1 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:42 am

Thanks to main Viking and q2log. I appreciate the info.
Ride Safe,
Taz

TF 116, RivRon 512, Can Tho, S. Vietnam, 8/66-/9/68, GM(G)2

alaron
Motorcycle: 2008 Goldwing
1977 kz 1000 LTD
1975 cb550 four

Postby alaron » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:17 pm

I have tried every tires on the maket. I ride hard and have got the most milage from these tires than any other. I average 6000 from the rear and 4000 from the front.
As for as the rest of the tires on the maket, I am lucky to get 3000 on rear and 2000 on front, they are made for people who ride interstate and speed limit, but never ride the twisties hard and show crock rockets that the goldwing is not a old mans motorcycle.

Wingrider44
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 Dark Blue Metallic

Postby Wingrider44 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:28 pm

I've heard a lot of good reports on the Commander II tires. A good friend of mine runs them on his Victory Vision which uses the identical tires as the Gold Wing. He gets close to 20,000 miles out of the rear tire. He is not a canyon carver but then we don't have canyons in Iowa. But he does ride with a bit of spirit let's just say. When I say that the Vision uses the same tire as the Wing, I mean that radials are the recommended tire in the same size as the GL1800. He has experienced no ill effects in handling of the bike using the bias ply Commander II on the Vision. So my question is this, what is the reason that radial tires are recommended and what might be the problem if bias ply tires are used instead? What if any adverse effects would I as an average touring rider experience by using a bias ply tire on the GL1800 Gold Wing?
Jaap Kroes
Amateur Radio Callsign: KR0ES
2009 GL1800 Dark Blue Metallic

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:53 pm

You asked the question, here is an answer:

Explained, Bias Ply VS Radial Tires

Ahhhh, the age old question: What is the big deal with Radial tires and why do I need them? We have put together a great cheat sheet explaining the differences, positives and negatives for each so that you can make a good decision on your next set of tires. If you do have questions after reading this post, feel free to contact us directly so that we can help: 800 734 4890 (North America).

Plies are layers of relatively inextensible cords embedded in the rubber to hold its shape by preventing the rubber from stretching in response to the internal pressure. The orientations of the plies plays a large role in the performance of the tire and is one of the main ways that tires are categorized. Bias tire (or cross ply) construction utilizes body ply cords that extend diagonally from bead to bead, usually at angles in the range of 30 to 40 degrees, with successive plies laid at opposing angles forming a crisscross pattern to which the tread is applied. The design allows the entire tire body to flex easily, providing the main advantage of this construction, a smooth ride on rough surfaces. This cushioning characteristic also causes the major disadvantages of a bias tire: increased rolling resistance and less control and traction at higher speeds.

Radial tire construction is recognized worldwide for its ability to deliver numerous benefits that bias-ply tires cannot. In the agricultural industry, radial technology delivers large benefits: Long tire life, Resistance to cuts, punctures and tears, Excellent traction, Improved handling and fuel economy & Smooth ride and operator comfort. Radial tire construction utilizes body ply cords extending from the beads and across the tread so that the cords are laid at approximately right angles to the centerline of the tread, and parallel to each other, as well as stabilizer belts directly beneath the tread. The belts may be cord or steel. The advantages of this construction include longer tread life, better steering control, and lower rolling resistance. Disadvantages of the radial tire include a harder ride at low speeds on rough roads and in the context of off-roading, decreased “self-cleaning” ability and lower grip ability at low speeds.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

charliektm400exc

Postby charliektm400exc » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:46 pm

alaron wrote:I have tried every tires on the maket. I ride hard and have got the most milage from these tires than any other. I average 6000 from the rear and 4000 from the front.
As for as the rest of the tires on the maket, I am lucky to get 3000 on rear and 2000 on front, they are made for people who ride interstate and speed limit, but never ride the twisties hard and show crock rockets that the goldwing is not a old mans motorcycle.

Sorry it's not clear but which tires are you referring to?

Charlie

alaron
1977 kz 1000 LTD
1975 cb550 four

Postby alaron » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:37 pm

I have tried every tire I have been able the find on the market. Dunlop, Bridgestone, Avon, Metzer, Skinko, and Michelin that offers a tire size that will work on a GW. The Michelin Commander II tires are the best I have found for performance and life of tire. I have been reading alot about CT tires and getting ready to give it a try in about 1000, as soon as the Michelin Commander II gives out.

Wingrider44

Postby Wingrider44 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:39 pm

alaron wrote:I have tried every tire I have been able the find on the market. Dunlop, Bridgestone, Avon, Metzer, Skinko, and Michelin that offers a tire size that will work on a GW. The Michelin Commander II tires are the best I have found for performance and life of tire. I have been reading alot about CT tires and getting ready to give it a try in about 1000, as soon as the Michelin Commander II gives out.

I won't have to worry about changing tires this year anymore but I'm sure about halfway through next year's riding season, I'll have to make a decision. I've gone the CT route on another bike and I don't think I will repeat that. The reason is that once I got back on the MT, I realized just how much nicer the bike handled with a MT. YMMV. But no more CT for me.

I had a set of Commander II on my Harley and I loved the way they rode as compared to the Dunlops that were on the bike. Now, with my Gold Wing, I'm very tempted to try a set of Commanders. That said, purchasing and mounting tires is a pretty major expense to a retiree on a small income. So this winter I will be nosing around asking many more questions.

BTW, thank you Redial for the information on Bias vs Radial construction of tires. Great information.
Jaap Kroes

charliektm400exc

Postby charliektm400exc » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:16 pm

alaron wrote:I have tried every tire I have been able the find on the market. Dunlop, Bridgestone, Avon, Metzer, Skinko, and Michelin that offers a tire size that will work on a GW. The Michelin Commander II tires are the best I have found for performance and life of tire. I have been reading alot about CT tires and getting ready to give it a try in about 1000, as soon as the Michelin Commander II gives out.

Thanks that cleared it up.

Now another question. Have you tried the new Metzler 888 as that's the other tire I'm thinking about and it's getting a lot of good reviews on different forums.

Charlie

alaron
1977 kz 1000 LTD
1975 cb550 four

Postby alaron » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:14 pm

Yes I have, the front tire cupped really bad, sad tread design in my option,. I gone about 4000 from the rear tire. I pulled the front tire after 2000 for cupping The Michelin Commander II Tires have a new compound in their tires. I have gotten more miles and great handling from them then any other tires I have tried. I ride with alot of of crocket rockets and enjoy the look of their faces after a bunch of twisty roads, when they have to stop to keep their hands from going numb and I am there. If you ride a Goldwing like most people you can get alot of any miles on any tires on the market.
Hope this helps

Red Ron
Motorcycle: '08, '13 GL1800
Rear-Yoko Avid Envigor 195x55x16
Front-Battleaxe BT-45

Postby Red Ron » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:25 pm

Are the Commandar II's a bias ply in our size? Not that I am opposed. I have ran several bias on the front.

robnort
Motorcycle: 2008 Honda Goldwing

Postby robnort » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:03 pm

I have had the pleasure of running The Michelin Commander II's on my 2008 GL for 3 yrs now. I also ride and average of 15,00 to 20,00 miles a year. I am pleased to report that I am very pleased with the average mileage I've gotten from these tires. I have never gotten less than 15,000 on a set of Commander II's. When I was first introduced to the tire, Michelin only made a rear tire for my Wing. The size is slightly taller than the stock recommended tire (180x65xB16 rear & 130x70xB18 front). Within the last year Michelin is now manufacturing a matching front tire for the Wing. One of the nice features of the taller rear tire is that it makes the speedometer read more accurately. It also affords you a little higher ride height. Granted, the tire is not a radial however it handles very well for a bias ply tire. The handling characteristics are great in both wet and dry conditions. Try them! You'll like them!

Wingrider44

Postby Wingrider44 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:51 pm

robnort wrote:I have had the pleasure of running The Michelin Commander II's on my 2008 GL for 3 yrs now. I also ride and average of 15,00 to 20,00 miles a year. I am pleased to report that I am very pleased with the average mileage I've gotten from these tires. I have never gotten less than 15,000 on a set of Commander II's. When I was first introduced to the tire, Michelin only made a rear tire for my Wing. The size is slightly taller than the stock recommended tire (180x65xB16 rear & 130x70xB18 front). Within the last year Michelin is now manufacturing a matching front tire for the Wing. One of the nice features of the taller rear tire is that it makes the speedometer read more accurately. It also affords you a little higher ride height. Granted, the tire is not a radial however it handles very well for a bias ply tire. The handling characteristics are great in both wet and dry conditions. Try them! You'll like them!

I wanted to hear from someone who had tried them. Thank you for responding. I was hoping to hear those results. Having had Commanders on my Harley, I sure liked them and was hoping that the bias ply would work on the Wing.

Thanks again.

Jaap Kroes

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”