gl1800 light kit blowing fuse

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Alias69
Motorcycle: 2006 gl800

gl1800 light kit blowing fuse

Postby Alias69 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:03 am

i got a 2006 gl1800 hpna, im not the first owner of this and bought it used last year. it has the kurakyn switch system that sits on the brake resivoir on the handlebars. I have a light kit that is placed all over the bike. not sure who makes it but its a blue lighting accent kit and runs everywhere. the light kit has worked until recently when I was noticing that the light kit would blow the 10a inline fuse for the kurakyn switch when I would use the heated seats and grips. at first it took some time for it to blow when they were on. but after replacing the fuse a couple of times, now it blows the second I turn that switch on regardless if I have the heated seats or grips on. I assume I have a short or ground out somewhere In the wiring. I have torn the bike apart and cant see any real issues with the wiring and does not seem to be tapped into anywhere into the main harness. the power and ground go straight to the battery. so I guess im trying to figure where to go next and see if I can get this figured out. any help would be greatly appreciated.

CMReynolds1
Motorcycle: 2013 F6B

Re: gl1800 light kit blowing fuse

Postby CMReynolds1 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:55 am

I would wonder about the switch itself. Are you able to Ohm the switch to see if it is shorted?
Attachments
Ride Safe,
Taz

TF 116, RivRon 512, Can Tho, S. Vietnam, 8/66-/9/68, GM(G)2

williamson_l
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800 Goldwing

Postby williamson_l » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:36 pm

If the switches are directly linked to your battery and the 10 amp fuse is blowing I would look at the switch. If they are similar to the ones I have, the covers are pretty good about keeping water out but the seal between the switch and the housing leaves some room for improvement.
Attachments
Larry Williamson
2010 Titanium Navi/Comfort (108HP/100FTLB Torque)
Wing Bling Mini Dark Wood Burl Accents
Helibars LST Bars
Shorai 540 CCA Lithium Battery
K&N Air Filter
Torqmaster Torq Loops
Vance & Hines Exhaust
Power Commander V
Cellset

NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Postby NVSB4 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:46 pm

Problem with things like that is it could be the switch and it could be one of the lights that are shorting, causing it to blow the fuse as well.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

Alias69

Postby Alias69 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:50 pm

Sorry for not replying , been diving into this hard ... Just tore the whole bike apart and don't see any bad shorted wires ... I have continuity and good power and ground to the switch ...I took the power to the battery and hooked it to the power accessory... I made sure no terminals were touching by accident and checked all the lights ... Right now all lights work and it has not blown a fuse... I ran it for about 5 minutes with all the lights and nothing blew yet ... I haven't tried it with the heated seats or grips which was tripping the fuse before ... I had to do a lot of rewiring since it was a crazy mess under there ... I plan to get it back on the road here very soon and give it a good test with everything going

Alias69

Postby Alias69 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:34 pm

Well here's an update on the situation... Took some time and still no luck.... So light kit/accessory lights and everything worked for a couple of days of riding... Then one day as I was riding it , all of the accessory switches cut out ... The 30amp accessory main fuse to the battery blew but the 10 amp fuses to the switches did not ... The actual 30 amp fuse is hooked to the accessory spot in the fuse box...so now I'm confused since the 10 amp for the light kit was the problem before but this is the first time the 30 main accessory fuse blew ... Like I said before these wires for the accessories are completely separate from the main harness and does not tie into the main wire harness to my knowledge.. I can't seem to find any possible ground outs... Is it possible that maybe when the bike is warm/hot it is damaging a wire and causing a short our somewhere?

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”