2001 speedometer and turn signal auto cancel


Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
User avatar
Dpkal
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:40 am
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Motorcycle: 2001gl1800

99 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

84 V65 saber

2001 speedometer and turn signal auto cancel

Postby Dpkal » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:01 pm



I have a 01 gl1800 and the speedometer quit working. The FI light informed me the VSS and all the fuel injectors were improperly functioning. Following the flow chart I found the ECM was bad because everything is functioning correctly. I replaced he ECM and nothing changed. The only other thing that I noticed the signal cancel is no operating. Any ideas I have checked all the fuses Please help



User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17050
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: 2001 speedometer and turn signal auto cancel

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:15 am

Ah, ignore my previous post, just realized this is in the GL1800 section...teach me to answer these late at night.

OK, so a faulty VSS will cause both the speedometer and auto cancel to not work. Your DTC shows the VSS is faulty, so that jives. But it could be a bad VSS or bad connector or wire.

Curious that it's also showing a problem in ALL of your fuel injectors, which makes it more likely that there is not a problem with any of these things, and that the errors are in fact erroneous.

Looking at the ECM, the fuel injectors and the VSS are on separate connectors, so there's no commonality there.

Concentrating on the VSS, did you follow the steps in the service manual to the point where you're detecting a 5 volt pulse at the ECM?

User avatar
Dpkal
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:40 am
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Motorcycle: 2001gl1800

99 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

84 V65 saber

Re: 2001 speedometer and turn signal auto cancel

Postby Dpkal » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:02 pm

yes, but the after more investigating, what are they considering a pulse? I have a background in electronic engineering and I would consider a pulse in the range of a full volt or the full 5v range. I pulled the VSS out and tested it to another piece of metal, I am not even getting 1/10th of a volt change, more or less I am getting a constant voltage of 5v DC. I figure the VSS is creating a square wave off the sprocket and the distance measured in time from the top of the waves determines the speed (I am purely guessing here). I figured that if the VSS is not giving off the correct "speed", the ECM would not be able to generate the correct signal to the fuel injectors causing an over or under fueling. I was able to clear out the fuel injector codes and they have not returned. the last time I rode I noticed over fuel consumption in the low range of -20mpg..

am I on the right track???

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17050
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: 2001 speedometer and turn signal auto cancel

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:23 pm

Dpkal wrote:yes, but the after more investigating, what are they considering a pulse? I have a background in electronic engineering and I would consider a pulse in the range of a full volt or the full 5v range. I pulled the VSS out and tested it to another piece of metal, I am not even getting 1/10th of a volt change, more or less I am getting a constant voltage of 5v DC. I figure the VSS is creating a square wave off the sprocket and the distance measured in time from the top of the waves determines the speed (I am purely guessing here). I figured that if the VSS is not giving off the correct "speed", the ECM would not be able to generate the correct signal to the fuel injectors causing an over or under fueling. I was able to clear out the fuel injector codes and they have not returned. the last time I rode I noticed over fuel consumption in the low range of -20mpg..

am I on the right track???


I don't know what the VSS component itself is, but if I were to make a guess, it would be the same as is used by Honda for ABS, pulse generators, crank position sensors etc: hall effect sensors. That means it is not going to put out voltage on its own, but will modulate voltage based on the presence of metal adjacent to the sensor.

You're no longer getting the fuel injector codes, but are you still getting the VSS code (11)?

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17050
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: 2001 speedometer and turn signal auto cancel

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:05 pm

Also, did you put the ECM into test mode and test for the +5v pulse that way, on the test harness?

User avatar
Dpkal
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:40 am
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Motorcycle: 2001gl1800

99 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

84 V65 saber

Re: 2001 speedometer and turn signal auto cancel

Postby Dpkal » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:33 pm

I followed the manual didn't have the nock out box they talked about but followed the directions for not having one. The voltage pulse I got from the VSS. Was 5vDC to 5.1vDC. You are saying something about test mode? Are you asking if I retrieved the fault codes with the jumper wire? Yes I used the jumper wire in the plug under the seat to retrieve the codes and to reset them to see what would pop back in there. Working on card I know the sometimes grab any code for any reason even when there is no problem

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17050
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: 2001 speedometer and turn signal auto cancel

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:00 pm

Dpkal wrote:I followed the manual didn't have the nock out box they talked about but followed the directions for not having one. The voltage pulse I got from the VSS. Was 5vDC to 5.1vDC. You are saying something about test mode? Are you asking if I retrieved the fault codes with the jumper wire? Yes I used the jumper wire in the plug under the seat to retrieve the codes and to reset them to see what would pop back in there. Working on card I know the sometimes grab any code for any reason even when there is no problem


That sure sounds to me like a failed VSS. You should be seeing from close to 0V to 5V.

User avatar
Dpkal
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:40 am
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Motorcycle: 2001gl1800

99 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

84 V65 saber

Re: 2001 speedometer and turn signal auto cancel

Postby Dpkal » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:01 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
Dpkal wrote:I followed the manual didn't have the nock out box they talked about but followed the directions for not having one. The voltage pulse I got from the VSS. Was 5vDC to 5.1vDC. You are saying something about test mode? Are you asking if I retrieved the fault codes with the jumper wire? Yes I used the jumper wire in the plug under the seat to retrieve the codes and to reset them to see what would pop back in there. Working on card I know the sometimes grab any code for any reason even when there is no problem


That sure sounds to me like a failed VSS. You should be seeing from close to 0V to 5V.



Ok we are on the same page I will give updates when the parts come in

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17050
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: 2001 speedometer and turn signal auto cancel

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:13 pm

Dpkal wrote:Ok we are on the same page I will give updates when the parts come in


Make sure you replace the O-ring as well. See: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=29467#p169506

User avatar
Dpkal
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:40 am
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Motorcycle: 2001gl1800

99 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

84 V65 saber

Re: 2001 speedometer and turn signal auto cancel

Postby Dpkal » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:59 am

Speed sensor replaced and everything works great!!! Now to get it all back together haven't been on the bike in a few weeks time to ride!!

Thank you for all your help




Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests