Jumping during engine braking...?

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
offcamber
Motorcycle: 2006 Kawasaki KLR650, 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere. 2006 Honda Goldwing (purchase pending)

Jumping during engine braking...?

Postby offcamber » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:18 am

Not sure if this is normal or not....07 GL1800 no ABS 37K Miles. Sometimes when I down shift to use engine braking something slips or jumps then catches again like the clutch slipped momentarily or a gear is popping out. It only does it when engine braking hard. I never had a bike do this, I wonder if its designed that way to avoid wheel lock up. No other clutch or shifting issues. Could it be the rear brake drag issue?
I bought this bike used a few months ago from a reputable dealer who went through the bike and changed all the fluids..

Steve F
Motorcycle: 1976 Honda CB750F Cafe' (sold :>( )
'03 GL1800

Re: Jumping during engine braking...?

Postby Steve F » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:38 am

Seems like loss of traction of the rear tire.
"To ride is the reason, the destination the excuse."

offcamber
Motorcycle: 2006 Kawasaki KLR650, 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere. 2006 Honda Goldwing (purchase pending)

Postby offcamber » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:52 am

Anything is possible but it doesn't feel like wheel lock nor is there any skidding sound or loss of control. It really feels like a gear is jumping its not smooth, very jerky when it does it. I'll have to check the clutch see if its not fully engaging.

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Postby Fatwing Chris » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:11 am

These trannies are sketchy at the best of times(a fair amount of documented failures)so driving them like a sportbike probably isn't the best idea.Personally I use the brakes for slowing down.They're far cheaper to replace and far easier on the motor and trans.Sounds to me you're well on your way to an expensive tranny repair.JMHO.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

offcamber

Postby offcamber » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:32 am

Not really what I was hoping to hear......

Any signs to look for that would lead to a tranny failure?? The jumping I can avoid simply by not engine braking hard.

Steve F
Motorcycle: 1976 Honda CB750F Cafe' (sold :>( )
'03 GL1800

Postby Steve F » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:02 pm

On these bikes, the usual tranny fail is "ghost shifting" or jumping out of gear to a "false neutral" and can usually be attributed to the gear dogs getting rounded over and forcing the shifting forks over and bending them in the process. I would recommend getting yourself a small video camera like a GO-PRO and place it under the bike looking at the rear tire as you ride and try to duplicate the problem. Maybe you can see something with this method that you didn't realize was happening. Maybe it's wheel-hop? That would happen with my old CB750F when decelerating hard....so much so, the rear of the bike would hop and vibrate.

"To ride is the reason, the destination the excuse."

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”