Adding CB Radio

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
markfeather
Motorcycle: 1997 Wing

Adding CB Radio

Postby markfeather » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:31 pm

Hey everyone, I am getting ready to pick up a 2007 wing with no CB. I have found the CB and antenna etc on line. Is this a simple plug and pray installation or is it a thing that needs to go to the dealer?

Also, any alternatives other than the factory radio's that work well with a head set?

Thanks.

Mark

Sterling, Virginia!

Read more: viewtopic.php?t=29564#ixzz3jmo4KCgr

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Re: Adding CB Radio

Postby tfdeputydawg » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:48 am

Check out http://www.bikemp3.com/Communication-Products_c6.htm A much more versatile system than the OEM CB!
There are on line install sights for the OEM CB and Bikemp3 has videos for their install.
Biggest deal on your Wing will be the harness that runs from the trunk to the front. Gotta loosen all the shelter "stuff".
Be sure you tune the SWR for best performance
Also, some sights instruct removing the trunk. Get a right angle air gun to drill the hole for the harness and you will not have to remove the trunk!

NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Postby NVSB4 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:39 am

markfeather wrote:Hey everyone, I am getting ready to pick up a 2007 wing with no CB. I have found the CB and antenna etc on line. Is this a simple plug and pray installation or is it a thing that needs to go to the dealer?

There is a CB installation instructions in the manuals section here.
It's very good, tells you what you need and walks you through it step-by-step.

Your profile doesn't say which model of 97 Wing you have, but most already have the wiring harness as I think it is an option on all models.
You also said that you found the CB, do you have just the unit that goes in the lower fairing, or do you have the handlebar control unit as well?
I know that there are about 3 filters (air pump, fuel pump and ACG) that are needed too.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:42 am

NVSB4 wrote:
markfeather wrote:
Your profile doesn't say which model of 97 Wing you have,

His post states it's for a 2007 Wing, not the one in his profile. That one goes in the "pocket" under the trunk floor. The controls are all there on the left handle bar.

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:44 pm

Mark,

You basically have only two choices to get a CB unit that will work with the controls built into the GL!800.

The first is mentioned above from BikeMP3 and is a unit that seems to work fine for most buyers. But there have been problems and this unit is a little cheaper. This unit does have a few more options such as hooking up FRS radio.

The second is the Honda OEM CB and antennae and this is a little more costly but seems to work for everyone that has them. I have had a unit on my Wing since 2004 with no problems and I did the plug and play install. Yes I did have to drill a few holes in the trunk but that was a breeze and no, I am not a tech nor mechanic.

But you will need the same holes with both units so that is really a moot point.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

PastoT
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (107k)

Postby PastoT » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:43 pm

Be sure to secure the CB harness connection under the shelter, perhaps even a zip tie would be good. Its difficult to reach and the last place you will want to dig into on the road if it rattles loose. The stock connection on my wing no-longer has the little snap attached so I learned the zip tie hack. The stock harness plug to receive it has also been open to dust and crud so spraying it out with some contact cleaner would be a good idea as well. Route the antenna wire in the trunk and clear of the rear headset pigtail. That pigtail is supposed to have a ferret coil update connected on later models - it prevents RF feed back that will howl in the sound system when you transmit.

Note: I returned to a wired headset as my UClear wireless headset leaves its mics open and I was getting squeeling feed back. I disconnected the WT300 transmitter that is connected to the front headset output wires and the high pitched feedback stopped. I also have an external mic connected and use the new MP3 CB. Install took an hour maybe.
Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 108k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"

joeincalif
Motorcycle: 1997 Gold Wing SE

Postby joeincalif » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:11 am

It's not a big deal to put one on an 07 wing. You have to drill a couple holes in the trunk for the wire harness and antenna but they are pre marked in the trunk. Here are a few pictures on an install we did on my friends 06.
This picture shows the wires coming out of the trunk and the antenna connection

This one shows a couple connections

This shows the main connection

IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”