Center Stand

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
markw
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800HPNA

Center Stand

Postby markw » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:09 pm

Any recommendations for best way to operate the center stand? I'm only 165lbs and need some pointers.

FlyBoy2121
Motorcycle: Honda GoldWing
Gl 1800 2003

Re: Center Stand

Postby FlyBoy2121 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:16 am

I markw !!!! excuse my English

My too have trouble too putt my center stand, I will try this tomorrow morning, an idea I had when I reading your message.

You rise your GoldWing on a playwood 3 / 4 inch or more, but your side stand takes the same 3 / 4 inch thing dont miss.

To try !!!!!!!!!! be careful Ok!!!!!!!! ;)

FlyBoy2121

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:52 am

FlyBoy2121
Gl 1800 2003

Postby FlyBoy2121 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:37 am

I WingAdmin !!!!!!!

All the messages give my good ideas, my back is very bad.

thank you

FlyBoy2121

gareva1
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 Prem Audio

Postby gareva1 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:46 am

Wingadmin put up a video and mentioned in that same thread that he pulls back when putting the bike on the stand...that may work for a 1200, but try to do that with an 1800 and you'll pull your back out before the bike is on one wheel...

The guy with the yellow 1800 in the other link (his name is Paul by the way, also known as Trialsman...that video was taken at Wingstock, a goldwing event over in Woodstock, GA) makes it look easy....beacuse it is, once you get the technique down...rather then pull back, the pull (if at all, and most people will tell you don't) is more upward...

The biggest problem many people have with lifting the 1800 (and other large touring bikes) onto the stand is that they do not rock the bike to the right so that both feet of the center stand are on the ground before they start...I can throw the bike on the stand with one leg touching, literally causing the bike to "jump" onto the stand, but I'm more than twice your weight...for you to do it stabilly, I'd say make absolutely sure both feet are touching---this feels really strange the first few times you do it, because for both feet to be touching, you have to put the bike over much more than is intuitive...might be helpful to have someone watch to see when both feet are touching for reference.

Once both feet are touching, put the ball of your right foot on the stand---pivot your body so that your knee is bent and pointing around where your butt would be in the seat, and step down, straightening your knee while pulling up on the left passenger grabrail. You can have your left hand stabilizing the handlebars if it helps you balance, but you really are not applying any force with that hand---in fact, you can lift the bike onto the centerstand with your left hand behind your back when you have the technique right.

What's really cool is when you get it on the stand, and if you are on very smooth concrete, you can spin the bike on the stand as if it were sitting on a turntable...by pushing toward the rear of the motorcycle, you will shift weight off the front, allowing the bike to spin...then you sorta just walk into the bike, and it moves with you.

If you decide that using the stock stand is just too hard, there are alternatives...there is a device called a ride-off stand, that is just a shorter version of the stock stand---while it is easier to put the bike on this stand, you also lose the benefit of being able to put the rear wheel off the ground (useful for some maintenance) unless you put the stand on a block of wood, and then it's hard to lift again if you had trouble before...also with a ride-off stand, you can put the bike in reverse and push the stand down while on the bike with your left foot and back the bike onto the stand; conversely you can put the bike in 1st and ride the bike off the stand, hence its name.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:39 pm

I'm pretty sure I didn't say I pulled back to put it on the stand. I stand up on the center stand leg, and at the same time, pull upward on the passenger grab rail. The bike comes up and back on its own. I haven't done it on an 1800, but I have on a 1500, and it works exactly the same way.

The only time I pull back is when getting it off the center stand. I'll be straddling it, I pull back and bump backward into the seat to rock the bike backward slightly. Then, as it starts to roll forward again, I'll give it a gently push on the handlebars, which takes it up and over the center stand, and it comes down gently.

gareva1

Postby gareva1 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:03 pm

Maybe I misunderstood your post:
WingAdmin wrote:Looking at the video, I think part of what I'm actually doing is while I pull back on the grips, I also bump my rear end into the back of the seat, which tips the bike backward (remember, the rear wheel is up in the air). It tips just a bit, and then rocks forward again, at which point I use that momentum and give the grips a push forward to help it over and off the center stand.
WingAdmin
Site Admin

When you say grips are you referring to the handlebar grips or the passenger handrail?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:08 pm

I'm talking about the handlebar grips - but at this point, I'm talking about getting the bike OFF the center stand, not on it. I'm straddling the bike at this point. I pull back on the handlebar grips (not too much), bump back into the seat, the bike rocks back, then rocks forward, and I give it a push forward on the grips, and it rolls off the center stand.

FlyBoy2121
Gl 1800 2003

Re: Center Stand for 1800 cc

Postby FlyBoy2121 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:51 am

Hello all GoldWingMan !!!!

I am a person going to the bottom of things.

I did experience since yesterday, for put the center stand, for 1800 cc, with the least possible effort.

Under the rear wheel I try wood thickness, 1 1 / 2 inches to 3 / 4 inches.

If you have a garage with a floor smooth.

With 3 / 4 inch under the rear wheel, it reduces by half effort, I pull the board easily with my hands.

My I prefer 1 inch, it's much easier to put the center stand, but is not possible to remove the board with hands.

To remove the board of 1 inch, I start the engine and I put the transmision in first gear, and I release the clutch slowly and the board comes out easily.

No people behind the motorcycle when you made it :shock: Ok !!!!!!!!!!

FlyBoy2121

gareva1

Postby gareva1 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:06 pm

There is only one problem with that...unless you haul around a piece of wood everywhere you go, you will only be able to put the bike on the stand at home.

Although that block of wood is helpful to learn and become comfortable with the lift, it is not a replacement for learning how to do it the right way. If you simply can't get the technique correct, or you have a physical problem with doing it, this would be a suitable alternative:

http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/748_ ... s%2Fdes%2F

FlyBoy2121
Gl 1800 2003

Postby FlyBoy2121 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:57 pm

I gareva1

I am very familiar with this technique correctly for put the center stand. I had two accidents had my spine. If I put the center stand I'm going to my chiropractor the next day.
I never put the center stand when I go for a ride.
For the CRS center stand I know very well, at WingStuff CycleMax or other retailers. The Canadian customs are very expensive when you buy in the USA.
I have no family in the USA, for buy it for me.
I have to pay customs.

This is an information for those who are interested. Ok !!!!!!!

FlyBoy2121

gareva1

Postby gareva1 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:00 pm

Flyboy,

I wasn't saying you didn't have the technique, just that if the original speaker was looking for help with the stand, using the block as a crutch instead of learning how to do it right would not be a service to him in the future. I know it can be hard for those who have a physical problem, and I mentioned that before.

I sometimes use the stand when I'm on the road depending on what I'm doing...if I want to sit on the bike without riding it, I tend to put it on the center stand, so as not to stress the side stand.

I looked around, and was not able to find an accessory dealer in Canada, but I find it hard to believe that there isn't anyone up there that stocks the ride off stands...if you really are interested in one, I can look again and see if I can help you out. Ok !!!!!!!!

FlyBoy2121
Gl 1800 2003

Postby FlyBoy2121 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:19 am

Igareva1 !!!!!!!!

Sometimes I have some difficult to understand all the English expressions.
You know I was born into a family and just talk in French, and school English classes I have not had that chance, all the English I know, I learned myself.At 63 years I not return to school.
You must say why write on this web site, I want to improve my English, you no translations of English to French sometimes not too Ingenious.
I know that put the center stand, several people have the wrong thecnical, if I may help some people, I am satisfied.
GoldWing french in Canada I do not find

Thank you for your offer to the CRS center stand, I remember that.
Currently I look at Quebec if I just have one.
For make all on my Gold Wing job I ave motorcycle jack,I modify.
I took 45 minutes to write to text.

Nex time :D

FlyBoy2121

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:05 am

Your English is far better than my French!! :)

gareva1

Postby gareva1 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:36 am

Wow, I thought you were using a translator program to talk.

I wrote it in jest, but seriously, why the extra exclamation points (!!!!!!!!) ? That is why I thought you had a translator program doing the work.

Anyone's French is better than mine... oui is about all I know.

FlyBoy2121
Gl 1800 2003

Postby FlyBoy2121 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:01 pm

I gareva1!!!!!

I have no translation software in my computer. is in French
J'ai pas un logiciel de traduction dans mon ordinateur. (is in English )

I wrote the same sentence in English and French.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The exclamation point is a way I draw attention to a line. Ok

If you want to see free translation software that I use on the web, here is the address.

Sometimes I made corrections, some words are not good.

I made the correction with me that I know and my dictionary.

Adress is http://www.google.com/language_tools?hl=EN

If you have other questions, asks me.

FlyBoy2121 :D

Mooskee
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800 Goldwing

Postby Mooskee » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:10 pm

I have successfully used the method described in the video in the previous post. Last year, however I had surgery and wanted to ride but not take a chance of hurting myself if I needed the center stand. I found the Baker Built Center Replacement Stand (CRS). It is a replacement center stand that you can use reverse on the bike to back the bike onto the center stand. When you are ready to ride off you simply get on and ride off, the center stand will stow on its own. The stand is lower and the rear wheel is not lifted off the ground. If you want to manually put it on the center stand instead of using reverse, it is easier as well because you are not lifting the wheel off the ground. Here is a link to Bakerbuilt's site. http://www.bakerbuilt.com/bbairwings/page40.html. I paid $168 for mine. They are available on eBay as well as other internet bike part sites.

drlipo
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800

Postby drlipo » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:51 pm

OK, guys. You are going to kick yourselves for not thinking of this! As a new GL1800 owner weighing about 135 pounds, I was having a terrible problem getting the bike onto the center stand. At my light weight, standing on the center stand lever did not even budge the bike. But lo and behold, a couple times I was able to get it up onto the stand, but not on consecutive tries. Obviously, something was different on those couple of occasions when the bike went up relatively easily. So, I merely analyzed what was different and the light bulb went off in my brain. So have you all figured it out yet?! If not, here is the explanation: Any parking surface is either very level or it is not. If it is not, either the front or the rear of the bike is going to be either just slightly or, possibly, quite a bit higher than the other. Now think GRAVITY!! Since the rear of the bike must go up to get on the center stand, make sure the rear end is lower than the front, or downhill, if the ground is not PERFECTLY level, as just a degree or two of slope can make all the difference for someone who is struggling to do the job! So get off the bike, evaluate the slope of the ground and, depending on what you see, either head in or back into the parking area to take advantage of any slope and let gravity do a lot of the work for you. Note that if the parking spot is very level, such as on a garage floor, the job is not too difficult to perform. You will be amazed to see how often when you are having trouble it is because the rear end of the bike is ever so slightly higher than the front!

Having the bike in neutral also helps a bit, so that the rear wheel can rotate as it goes up.

Lastly, if your bike almost, but not quite, goes up onto the stand, if your wife or another stands on the right side of the bike and gives a little lift of the passenger grab handle as you lift the grab handle on the left side while stepping on the center stand lever, it will be a piece of cake to get it up. The best way to coordinate this is to say "On Three" and rock the bike fore to aft together by weighting and un-weighting the center stand lever twice while pulling up on the grab handles and releasing them and then give the final pull and put all your weight on the stand lever. It will pop right up -- IF you are not on a slope with the rear end higher than the front.

Try it -- you will love it! GOOD LUCK!

David

gareva1

Postby gareva1 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:36 pm

I would think most people would have caught that---the other important thing when thinking about that is if you are parking with the rear higher than the front, there is a higher possibility of the bike rolling forward off the center stand, falling to the ground...for that reason alone, I would think most people would avoid that scenario.

For what it's worth, if you have the technique down perfectly, you can jump the bike onto the stand with the rear higher...practice makes perfect :)

GreenDragon
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 GoldWing

Postby GreenDragon » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:45 am

Works for me every time. The most difficult part is getting used to having the bike on both feet of the center stand. First time I did it I had my wife stand on the opposite side and steady the bike as it leaned up to dead center on the stand. It just felt like it was way too far over.
gareva1 wrote:Wingadmin put up a video and mentioned in that same thread that he pulls back when putting the bike on the stand...that may work for a 1200, but try to do that with an 1800 and you'll pull your back out before the bike is on one wheel...

The guy with the yellow 1800 in the other link (his name is Paul by the way, also known as Trialsman...that video was taken at Wingstock, a goldwing event over in Woodstock, GA) makes it look easy....beacuse it is, once you get the technique down...rather then pull back, the pull (if at all, and most people will tell you don't) is more upward...

The biggest problem many people have with lifting the 1800 (and other large touring bikes) onto the stand is that they do not rock the bike to the right so that both feet of the center stand are on the ground before they start...I can throw the bike on the stand with one leg touching, literally causing the bike to "jump" onto the stand, but I'm more than twice your weight...for you to do it stabilly, I'd say make absolutely sure both feet are touching---this feels really strange the first few times you do it, because for both feet to be touching, you have to put the bike over much more than is intuitive...might be helpful to have someone watch to see when both feet are touching for reference.

Once both feet are touching, put the ball of your right foot on the stand---pivot your body so that your knee is bent and pointing around where your butt would be in the seat, and step down, straightening your knee while pulling up on the left passenger grabrail. You can have your left hand stabilizing the handlebars if it helps you balance, but you really are not applying any force with that hand---in fact, you can lift the bike onto the centerstand with your left hand behind your back when you have the technique right.

What's really cool is when you get it on the stand, and if you are on very smooth concrete, you can spin the bike on the stand as if it were sitting on a turntable...by pushing toward the rear of the motorcycle, you will shift weight off the front, allowing the bike to spin...then you sorta just walk into the bike, and it moves with you.

If you decide that using the stock stand is just too hard, there are alternatives...there is a device called a ride-off stand, that is just a shorter version of the stock stand---while it is easier to put the bike on this stand, you also lose the benefit of being able to put the rear wheel off the ground (useful for some maintenance) unless you put the stand on a block of wood, and then it's hard to lift again if you had trouble before...also with a ride-off stand, you can put the bike in reverse and push the stand down while on the bike with your left foot and back the bike onto the stand; conversely you can put the bike in 1st and ride the bike off the stand, hence its name.

Light travels faster than sound, that is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”