Navigation Problems

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Ghostr
Motorcycle: 2006 GL 1800 ABS

Navigation Problems

Postby Ghostr » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:58 pm

I have a GL1800 2006 Goldwing, when I start the Navigation I get the searching for satellite message. It will not go away. and It's stuck on the last location I was at. I can't get it to reset.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Navigation Problems

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:15 am

The navigation module has battery power to it at all times, so if it gets confused, you need to pull power to reset it.

Disconnect your positive battery cable from the battery, then take the positive lead that you have disconnected and touch it to the negative battery terminal for a couple of seconds. This will drain all residual power left in the capacitors in the system. Then reconnect the positive battery cable to the positive post on the battery. This should reset the GPS.

Dogsled
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing

Postby Dogsled » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:57 pm

Scott, I have several GPS units (all Garmin). In the last 2 months the 2 newsest ones (cause I use them most) have been having isues knowing where they're at and re-routing way to much. Think if issues consist on gps problems, no matter the brand, the satelittes they align to are having issues.

Most of the time we think gps issues are in our units and never giva a thought to info being recieved.

Alot of weird stuff happening in outer space........Maybe rand/mcnalley shot an interceptor up there to get us to start buying paper maps again........ :D
"Fight until hell freezes over, then fight on the ice"

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:44 am

Dogsled wrote:Scott, I have several GPS units (all Garmin). In the last 2 months the 2 newsest ones (cause I use them most) have been having isues knowing where they're at and re-routing way to much. Think if issues consist on gps problems, no matter the brand, the satelittes they align to are having issues.

Most of the time we think gps issues are in our units and never giva a thought to info being recieved.

Alot of weird stuff happening in outer space........Maybe rand/mcnalley shot an interceptor up there to get us to start buying paper maps again........ :D

There's definitely not a problem with the satellites - they are operated (and heavily used) by the military, so if there is an issue, it's definitely on the receiving end.

If there is a transmitter in a certain area that is poorly designed or has filters that are failing, it can emit harmonics that can interfere with the (extremely weak) GPS signals received from space. That can cause GPS receivers to malfunction. Aircraft have integrity monitoring systems that immediately flag when a GPS is receiving anomalous or invalid information, our consumer GPS units just show you in the wrong place.

Also, if you have more than one GPS unit, they can interfere with one another. Because GPS use very high frequencies (1.5 and 1.2 GHz), it is very difficult and expensive to design receivers that receive that frequency directly. Instead, the antennae generate tiny RF signals that is close to 1.5 and 1.2 GHz, and that signal is mixed together with what is being received from the satellites. This generates a much lower frequency "beat" oscillation, which can easily be demodulated and sent down an antenna wire or into the receiver.

Because each GPS antenna is actually broadcasting a tiny signal in order to function, if you have two GPS antennas that are too close to one another, the tiny signal from one can interfere with the reception on the other.

Keep in mind there are lots of GPS receivers around! Your phone has one. So try using your receiver all by itself, not near any other GPS receiver (including your phone) and see if it makes a difference.

Incidentally radar detectors work exactly the same way: generating a small signal that is mixed with the incoming police radar signal that causes a beat frequency that the radar detector then picks up and detects. It is this small generated signal that the VG-2 "radar detector detector" that police have picks up, so that police in places like Virginia and Canada, where radar detectors are illegal can pull you over for having a radar detector without even seeing it.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”