Top box catches

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
collinsa
Motorcycle: 2004 Gl1800

Top box catches

Postby collinsa » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:49 pm

I am sure there a more than a few wing riders who have had problems with the top box catches not staying security fastened to the lid
The moulded post on mine eventually gave up and I reinforced it with epoxy. This lasted for a reasonable time then became brittle and broke away.

As a more permanent fix I purchased a block of HDPE and used a Dremmel & disk to make a piece to fit between the lid lining and the lid - drilled and screwed the catch to the inner lining applied liquid nails and then screwed the liner in place to hold everything where it belongs.
Not had a problem yet and I am hopeful the fact the screws are into a substantial piece of material instead of the moulded posts means everything will stay in place

Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Re: Top box catches

Postby Big Blue UK » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:52 am

One of my posts cracked, I applied gorilla glue (or other good super glue) in the crack with a needle, closed the crack best I could with pliers, applied the glue around the post, then chose two zip ties that would fit side by side on the post , and pulled them tight with pliers. It was about 18 months ago, I have had the lining off several times. The last time I took out the lining, as a preventative measure, I put zip ties around the other 3 posts, but without any glue
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:08 am

Big Blue UK wrote:One of my posts cracked, I applied gorilla glue (or other good super glue) in the crack with a needle, closed the crack best I could with pliers, applied the glue around the post, then chose two zip ties that would fit side by side on the post , and pulled them tight with pliers. It was about 18 months ago, I have had the lining off several times. The last time I took out the lining, as a preventative measure, I put zip ties around the other 3 posts, but without any glue

The best thing to use is plumber's ABS glue, or MEK. Super glue can bond to ABS and will give you a strong repair, but it is brittle and hard, and ABS is resilient and soft. Using ABS glue actually melts the ABS chemically, and when it cures the broken/cracked pieces of ABS aren't "stuck together" like they are with super glue - instead, they actually bond together becoming one piece of plastic again - there is no more crack.

For reinforcing, mix up some ABS slurry (ABS shavings and ABS glue or MEK, mix together until you get a paste), then apply ABS glue/MEK around the posts followed by the slurry. The slurry will bond to the existing ABS, and when it cures it will become one thick, solid piece of ABS, much stronger than the original piece. I've used this method many, many times.

Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Postby Big Blue UK » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:33 pm

I have used the same type of glue you mentioned WA, and thought of Plastex etc, if the glue and zip ties did not work. One of my posts cracked the second time the lid lining was removed from new, the glue and zip ties have worked a treat with original screw for 18 months. I feel confident (ok certain) that without zip ties to strengthen the post, nothing will prevent the post from splitting again unless plastex is used to make the post twice its diameter. I remove the lid lining several times a year to mount Bobs helmet brace.

Plus I have this thing about spending far more on glue repairing the Mickey mouse top box lid, than Honda spent manufacturing it.
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:48 am

Big Blue UK wrote:I have used the same type of glue you mentioned WA, and thought of Plastex etc, if the glue and zip ties did not work. One of my posts cracked the second time the lid lining was removed from new, the glue and zip ties have worked a treat with original screw for 18 months. I feel confident (ok certain) that without zip ties to strengthen the post, nothing will prevent the post from splitting again unless plastex is used to make the post twice its diameter. I remove the lid lining several times a year to mount Bobs helmet brace.

Plus I have this thing about spending far more on glue repairing the Mickey mouse top box lid, than Honda spent manufacturing it.

Plastex is good stuff, I've used it before, but it has the same problem as epoxy - it's extremely hard and rigid, much more so than ABS, and it does not bond with ABS like ABS/MEK - it sticks to it like glue. It does not become a part of it like the existing ABS. It's also not all that cheap. That said, it is far more workable and easy to use than ABS slurry.

PastoT
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (107k)

Postby PastoT » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:40 pm

+1 for Plastex. I hit an owl at 60 just low and left of my front wheel and had to repair the lower cowl and later the left side mounts for the front tire fenders. It you careful it is magic. I keep it on hand for a variety of plastic repairs around the house and garage. Its also great for repairing worn/stripped plastic screw threads.

Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 108k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”