Cobra Tri Oval Mufflers

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
avinson4u

Cobra Tri Oval Mufflers

Postby avinson4u » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:42 pm

Does anyone have a review on these new mufflers for the 1800

gareva1
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 Prem Audio

Re: Cobra Tri Oval Mufflers

Postby gareva1 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:14 pm

Never heard of them...could you post a link to where you found them?

avinson4u

Postby avinson4u » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:51 pm

found them on Wingstuff.com and you can google the Cobra Tri Oval mufflers and read articles.

rgyurasovich
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 Goldwing

Postby rgyurasovich » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:07 am

I installed the tri ovals with a k&n filter and a terminal velocity "closed loop" fuel management system.
It's a job left to the very mechanically inclined for the terminal velocity install because the air box has to be taken
off which is very labor intensive and wires need to be soldered and bungs on exhaust port need to be installed.
If I'd know this ahead of time I would have just installed the filter and tri ovals. Instead the dyno may have been
needed for the better flowing filter and tri ovals. The tri ovals have a resonance to them that the stock exhaust
doesn't have. I think it's definetly a better sounding exhaust and better looking than stock. I notice a little more
get up and go but nothing extrordinary. I have a 2008 for reference with everything except airbag. It's an expense
I think is worth it but maybe not for everybody. The nice thing about the terminal velocity is it's self adjusting and
will recalibrate itself for changes to bike and load conditions without any dyno needed.

gareva1

Postby gareva1 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:06 am

I've looked far and wide for a performance mod along the lines of the TV (plug and play tuner)....what I've found is because the wing has a non-tuneable ecm, none of these mods on the market for the wing seem to work:

http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums//sho ... ?p=2344161

I think this particular unit is like many others that trick the o2 sensors into thinking the bike is cold/warming up, making the bike run richer at all times...this isn't necessarily a good thing, and if your bike is still under warranty, I'd be cautious about bringing it to the dealer with this installed.

I've got torq loopz and torqmaster pipes which make a modest difference, but I haven't found a true electronic solution that I'm comfortable with that I think will deliver the results promised.

If it's easy to uninstall (the kit says it has a single harness once it's installed), maybe you could unplug it and see if you see a difference...inquiring minds want to know :)

Also, why did you have to install bungs on the exhaust? The wing already has two, and there are o2 sensors in them, which is what this gadget claims to connect to...

Don't know how long you've ridden the bike since the install, but many pipe manufacturers say you need to ride the bike for few miles (like 100) before the ecm will begin to change its trends to accomodate the more open exhaust...you can also do an idle reset on the ecm, which will cause the bike to relearn its idle point, and possibly remove the existing trends stored on the ecm.

jmho

Gil

rgyurasovich
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 Goldwing

Postby rgyurasovich » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:11 pm

I didn't install bungs I was just stating the need for the use of them and I didn't know if all Goldwings had bungs or not.
I'm an old Harley guy and this is my first wing. It's also a real pain to get at the unit because it's behind the airbox
so as long as I have no problems it's staying where it's at. I've since put a few hundred miles on the bike and everything
seems to be good. The idle doesn't seem any different so I don't see a need to reset it. I do notice redline comes
real quick in first gear and it has made me lose power for a second if I don't watch it. I'm getting better though.

gareva1

Postby gareva1 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:05 pm

I do notice redline comes
real quick in first gear and it has made me lose power for a second if I don't watch it.

The rev limiter is still in the same place though, right? I wouldn't think a device hijacking the o2 sensors would be able to effect the rev limiter. I think it's around 6500rpm...

avinson4u

Postby avinson4u » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:21 am

I added these mufflers about two weeks ago. Great look and I like the idle sounds, not to loud, just enough for me. I don't know if its the climate or the mufflers. We have had record heat (Charlotte, NC) however I rode the other night, when I got home I noticed more heat coming from the bike. I don't know if it's the mufflers or the record heat. Has anyone else experienced more heat with the mufflers. I did not replace the air filter, and I think its time. If I wanted loud I will get on my Harley Screaming Eagle Electra Glide and list to my Rhineharts!!

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”