2009 gl1800 no neutral light

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Honda01
Motorcycle: 2009 gl1800

2009 gl1800 no neutral light

Postby Honda01 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:49 pm

My gl1800 was reversing it out the garage and it cut out and then reverse indicator was flashing away so checked the fuse and it blow the 5 amp start/reverse fuse so replaced it and it was fine for a couple of times reversing then it blow again and now I have no natural light and the bike won't turn over I have it out of reverse by taking the relay out and putting it back in anyone had this problame before of having no natural light and bike won't start ?

Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Re: 2009 gl1800 no neutral light

Postby Big Blue UK » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:05 am

I avoid using reverse because of the strain put on the starter motor on anything other than hard level ground.
There are 3 fuses related the reverse system.
8> Kill fuse
10> RVS start fuse
12> RVS fuse B
Because the RVS indicator was blinking you may have a faulty relay, check or replace them.

Hopefully this should get the RVS up and running.

Hopefully the blown fuses may be because of a relay, the safety should shut the RVS off before a fuse blows.

If the RVS 'on/off switch is not sticking in the 'on' position, and you are sure the RVS is switching off, the neutral light failure could be due to the reverse actuator.

I do not know if Honda made any super duper cheapo modifications to the RVS, if my trike gets overloaded reversing up such as a lowered kerb, the safety shuts the RVS off, I always get off it when reversing it anyway. Not so easy on a solo, that is why I have a trike after 32 years on solo GoldWings.
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

Honda01

Postby Honda01 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:16 pm

Thanks for the reply I can't check if the reverse is working until I can get the bike started which won't start now has the natural light won't come on even through its in netural, the shifter motor is working as it should and I checked the reverse regulator and all the diods in that are fine, I swooped all the relays around for good one and checked all the fuese with a multi meter which came back good, also checked the combi meter which is getting battery voltage and is getting contiuanty on the light green/red wire from the gear sensor which Which according to the manual is says if this happenes then replace the meter combi but want to be certain this is the problame before going to get one as all the other lightson the combi meter work fine, the only thing am yet the check is the cruise control/reverse box under the air box the reverse switch is also working as it should as is the clutch Diod in the wiring harness on the r/h side

Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Postby Big Blue UK » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:00 pm

Well it is clear you know as much as I, and are at the same stage I would be.
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

Honda01

Postby Honda01 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:13 am

Cheers it's just getting to that next step :(

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”