Gold wing cell phone interface

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Scooter363y
Motorcycle: 2014 gl1800

Gold wing cell phone interface

Postby Scooter363y » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:23 am

Gentlemen,
Perhaps there is someone out there that can help me out. I just purchased a 2014 wing. I want to get it setup like this. I would like to listen to the radio or music and navigation from my cell. I can plug the cell in the usb in the trunk. No problem so far. I installed a power outlet with an aux input cable and a phone cradle on the handlebars. This works well for the navigation screen and voice but I cannot use the handlebar controls to control the music. I could run a usb extn up to the handlebar that would solve the control problem. What I eventually would like to do is listen to my tunes with the navigation occasionally breaking in for directions. I would also like to be Able take a phone call if one comes in. Does anybody out there know how I can accomplish this?
Thanks
Scott

PastoT
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (107k)

Re: Gold wing cell phone interface

Postby PastoT » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:16 pm

Try Cellset.com, they have several wired systems that plug into the phone, GPS, etc to address much of these type scenarios that in-turn connects to the headset connection behind the left dash pocket. On my 1800 I've docked my RAXR Max and charges and feeds its audio to the bike only but I've added a transmitter to connect back to my wireless helmet(UClear setup works for me, but not the best); but when I went with a wired helmet for the CB mic I couldn't blue-tooth my phone. I have a cellset device now to carry phone audio both ways through the intercom system. I use the phone screen for what ever I wish be it radar, music, traffic or even Netflix :roll: . Off course nothing on the handlebars stock switches help me with the phone interface. I have a 2002 with an MP3 player hooked up in the trunk that act like a CD player that does work with the handle pod switches. My phone, GPS and Sat radio run through a mixer into the Aux Radio input and the cellset phone connection is on the intercom circuit.

I been told one can connect an IPod to the trunk USB for music, and that it works with the stock control switches.
Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 108k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"

Scooter363y

Postby Scooter363y » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:05 am

Well I found out something by accident today. I have my iPhone mounted in a ram mount with a power and an aux cable running to the left side fairing pocket. I received a call today and answered it before I hit the speaker button on the phone. So it was coming through my headset and the other person could hear me as I spoke into the intercom Mike. Has anybody else tried this? And what were your results?

Scott

BVL123
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800

Postby BVL123 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:55 pm

I have a 2003 GL1800 and I purchased the SENA SR10 Bluetooth radio adapter 321-0625 with my SENA SMH10 Bluetooth Headset for my SHOEI Full Face and SHOEI modular helmets. I hooked it up with a Sierra Adapter Harness from Seirra Electronics. I can listen to my Garmin, use "push-to-talk" Honda CB controls and talk on CB, Android Smart Phone (music and phone) along with intercom. I can even pair the two SENA SMH10 headsets so my passenger and I can listen to the same music and when a call comes in it puts my music on hold and resumes when I release the call. I admit that none of this gear is cheap, but if you own a Goldwing and ride for long distance this equipment can be very useful. I have some Iron Butt rider friends and they bring up battery life as an issue. If you only ride 8-hours at a time then they work great (turn units off when stopped to save battery) without charging being required.

Sierra Electronics Site with Harness for GL1800:
http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp ... NA-GW-SR10

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:26 am

Just don't forget that talking on a cellphone is a distraction to your driving. Motorcyclists tend to get very upset when cage drivers talk on the phone and then we spend big buck to develop systems that will allow us to do the same thing on the motorcycle.

I strongly recommend cut the phone off and put in a pocket till you are stopped. With tools like voicemail and even text messages, the info will be there for you to contact the caller and get things done. This works quite well if you stop every two hours or so which my bladder requires anyway. I even catch up on my email.

The risk of getting into a distracted state is just too great when riding.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

BVL123
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800

Postby BVL123 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:51 pm

Harvey1, I agree in general with your comment. I did have a situation last year where I ended up behind a drunk driver in a pickup truck. This guy was taking out mailboxes on both sides of the road. I tried to flash my lights and beep my horn to warn people and get him to stop... it did not work. This went on for 4-miles. I then saw two children walking down the opposite side of the road. I pressed the horn and never let up trying to get the kids attention. The drunk just missed them and took out another mailbox behind them. I felt powerless and I finally pulled over and took off my gloves unstrapped my helmet as fast as I could and pulled out my cell phone out of my pocket and turned it on and dialed 911. Precious minutes were wasted and I finally got connected to the police in the local town and gave them the license plate of the pickup and the make and model. They dispatched a radio car to the area it was too late. As I drove up the road to an intersection 5-miles ahead he had crashed into a minivan with a mom and 2 kids. The mother was seriously injured the kids were okay. If I could have called at mile marker 1, rather than letting him drive another 8-miles I might have been able to notify the cops in time. I promised myself I would never be without access to mobile communications when riding. I feel that with the voice activated dialing I can keep my eyes on the road and also call the police or emergency vehicles as needed.

jbowen52
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800 HPN
2007 Kawasaki ZX-14
1984 Honda V65 Sabre

Postby jbowen52 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:01 pm

I tried using the Aux audio plug in the left front compartment. I find that the phone works there both ways. I'm able to both talk and hear the phone. Only issue is it will not control the phone from any buttons so answering the phone with gloves may be a problem. I plan to simply mount a phone bracket to the left front compartment door so that the Aux cord will reach and the face of the phone is exposed. That is the simplest way I could find and was pleasantly surprised to find that the phone works through the intercom by simply selecting the Aux button. I suppose it would also allow playing my music from the phone, but haven't tried that. Not a big issue with XM, AM and FM onboard!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:39 pm

jbowen52 wrote:I tried using the Aux audio plug in the left front compartment. I find that the phone works there both ways. I'm able to both talk and hear the phone. Only issue is it will not control the phone from any buttons so answering the phone with gloves may be a problem. I plan to simply mount a phone bracket to the left front compartment door so that the Aux cord will reach and the face of the phone is exposed. That is the simplest way I could find and was pleasantly surprised to find that the phone works through the intercom by simply selecting the Aux button. I suppose it would also allow playing my music from the phone, but haven't tried that. Not a big issue with XM, AM and FM onboard!

As I mentioned in the other thread, there's no facility in that Aux connector to feed audio back to the phone. I suspect what is happening is that the phone is realizing that it has a standard stereo 3-conductor plug inserted into it, not a four-conductor (which includes microphone), and it is using the phone's microphone to pick up sound. That might work while sitting and testing in your garage, but it definitely won't work out on the road, where there is too much wind and engine noise for your phone to pick up anything.

jbowen52
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800 HPN
2007 Kawasaki ZX-14
1984 Honda V65 Sabre

Postby jbowen52 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:31 pm

Interesting point, but while testing I had a full face helmet on and was not very close to the phone that was laying in the left compartment. Once I have a chance to test it on the road, I will know for sure. Thanks for the feedback.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:12 pm

jbowen52 wrote:Interesting point, but while testing I had a full face helmet on and was not very close to the phone that was laying in the left compartment. Once I have a chance to test it on the road, I will know for sure. Thanks for the feedback.

The other thing that would prevent this from working is the fact that cell phones use electret microphones, which require a bias voltage to operate and put out a tiny signal, and the Goldwing microphone is a dynamic mic, does not use a bias voltage, and puts out a relatively large signal. The two microphone systems are incompatible.

joyridinglady
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800

Postby joyridinglady » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:52 pm

I know your way down a trail trying to make what your have work. But have your heard of EdSets Bluestreak Cell Phone Integration Kit? I just bought one last month and love it. It connects through the AUX cable in the left pocket. I now have hands free calling with clear sound and callers can't even tell I'm calling from a motorcycle. I can also access other applications on my cell phone such as GPS, Pandora, recorded music, walkie-talkie app, etc. It also comes with a wired remote with several phone and application functions.
Installation wasn’t too bad either. I followed the Edsets install video on youtube:

PastoT

Postby PastoT » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:27 pm

I find it interesting that a couple members mentioned the AUX line in their glove box was feeding audio from the mic back into the phone for a conversation and had some thoughts. My EdSets device has that cell phone capability and if your bikes' are new-to-you bikes I can't help but wonder if the wire is actually that from a similar EdSets device from the PO and that the AUX line is actually not in use? At first glance both connections would appear the same until you count connectors on the 3.5mm pin; AUX only has three conductors but the EdSets with four may be feeding device audio into the intercom circuit instead of the AUX in and still providing audio for an device other than a cell phone (I'd expect it to act or sound a bit off but maybe not). I have both on my ride and have to look when I connect things up post maintenance.
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"

Scooter363y

Postby Scooter363y » Mon May 02, 2016 3:46 pm

Thanks for the info. I just ordered one will post a review after installation

oilboy1162
Motorcycle: '72 cb750k
500 interceptor (fun!)
600 hurricane(funner!)
'82 gs850g
93 gl1500se(trade,sigh)
2013 gl1800(yeah baby!)

Postby oilboy1162 » Thu May 05, 2016 11:57 pm

over the winter i installed the J&M cfbr-gl-1800 bluetooth cell phone/radar/gps interface. it will inject an incoming bluetooth(i.e. phone) signal into the onboard bike wired head set. have had no problems and install is a snap.
:lol: I know people say we spend too much money on our rides, but I can't hear them when I'm 1000 miles away! :roll:

Scooter363y

Postby Scooter363y » Fri May 27, 2016 1:37 pm

Just to keep everyone up to date. I have done the installation of the "blue streak" unit on my bike. I wish I could say that things went smooth. Some problems that Ed and I are trying to iron out. I am having some problems with being heard on the other side of the phone conversation. The intercom works fine just not me talking on the phone to the other person. If anybody else has had this problem and has solved it please share your solution.

My bike is a 2014 wing, phone is a iphone6, headset is a j and n headset with an scorpion half helmet.

Ed has been great so far and I am hoping to get whatever problem solved before we get into the riding season.

I will keep you posted

Scott

salty1
Motorcycle: 98 GL1500 C, 00 GL1500CF, 06 GL1800 3A

Postby salty1 » Fri May 27, 2016 2:35 pm

Thanks for the post Scott! I hope your issue is resolved soon. The Bluestreak looks to have real promise.

Scooter363y

Postby Scooter363y » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:19 am

Well I wish that this story had a happy ending but it doesn't . After many tries I gave up and sent the unit back to Edsets. Ed was great to work with. We just couldn't get the mic heard on the other end. Perhaps it would have worked with one of his "hot" mics. But I wanted to work with what headsets I have installed.( J and M). Ed definitely went above and beyond what other vendors would have done and what I really expected. A good fellow to work with. If the bugs get worked out I would buy one in a minute.

Scott

Scooter363y

Postby Scooter363y » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:58 pm

Has anybody out there had any experiences with interfacing your cell phone to your wing?
Anybody had experiences with the blue streak from Ed ?
I was thinking that a wired interface could work.

Anyone?

Scott

oilboy1162
500 interceptor (fun!)
600 hurricane(funner!)
'82 gs850g
93 gl1500se(trade,sigh)
2013 gl1800(yeah baby!)

Postby oilboy1162 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:03 am

over the winter i installed the J&M cfbr-gl-1800 bluetooth cell phone/radar/gps interface. it will inject an incoming bluetooth(i.e. phone) signal into the onboard bike wired head set. have had no problems and install is a snap.
:lol: I know people say we spend too much money on our rides, but I can't hear them when I'm 1000 miles away! :roll:

Scooter363y

Postby Scooter363y » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:41 pm

Is that the $600 one? Too rich for me, I'm retired

Scott

oilboy1162
500 interceptor (fun!)
600 hurricane(funner!)
'82 gs850g
93 gl1500se(trade,sigh)
2013 gl1800(yeah baby!)

Postby oilboy1162 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:34 am

If I'm not mistaken the J&M unit is less than $300 and the install VERY easy.

salty1
Motorcycle: 98 GL1500 C, 00 GL1500CF, 06 GL1800 3A

Postby salty1 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:45 pm

Scooter363y wrote:Is that the $600 one? Too rich for me, I'm retired

Scott

Sierra Electronics has it for $399.

http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp ... FBR-GL1800

PastoT

Postby PastoT » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:51 pm

I'd anticipate having a blue tooth headset like UClear (its what I use). It connects BT with my phone and the phone allows me to configure phone and or audio on one connection. I added a Blue Tooth dongle to the bike and transmit everything in the bikes audio through it after tapping into the front headset pigtail for an audio out to the BT transmitter. My Uclear then can use the phone hands free on one protocol and stereo audio on the second protocol so after a call it returns to the bike audio. Now this configuration doesn't allow talking to the bike's system (CB/Intercom or GPS). Audio out from the phone is fed to the AUX-IN to listen to MP3, and streaming services (mine is through a Mix-It2 so I could include signals from the GPS/Radar Detector and Sat Radio but all that additional might be optional). My CB has an external mic, until I go wired with my summer helmet and then plug my edset to the 4 wire phone jack and talk through the intercom connection (that requires a good helmet mic with noise cancelling).
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"

Scooter363y

Postby Scooter363y » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:21 am

Oil boy where did you find it for $300 ?

oilboy1162
500 interceptor (fun!)
600 hurricane(funner!)
'82 gs850g
93 gl1500se(trade,sigh)
2013 gl1800(yeah baby!)

Postby oilboy1162 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:01 am

Check Wingstuff . I believe that's where I got it.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”