New 2015 Goldwing

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Interstate, 1985 GL1200 LTD

New 2015 Goldwing

Postby blackbrier » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:26 am

If all goes well this week, by Saturday afternoon, I will be riding away from my local dealership with a beautiful 2015 HPNAM (ABS) Silver Goldwing. What should be the top 5 items to purchase and install on the motorcycle? I ride in most weather conditions.

I am thinking CB, Kuryakyn Back Rest, Highway pegs... But what do you think??

Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Re: New 2015 Goldwing

Postby tfdeputydawg » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:42 am

Nix the Kury backrest! The best is Utopia w/the quick out feature. The "bars" on external mounted back rests can become very uncomfortable for passengers!
Unless you group ride with several whom have CB's, that's a expensive item that gets very little use and Tx distance is limited on a bike!
Look at Mic-o-pegs for your hiway pegs
Also, consider Baker Wing products for wind management.
Might also consider an F4 customs windshield. Mine is the +4 tinted/vented. Very nice for help w/head buffeting as well as the tinted version cuts oncoming headlamp glare at night. The polycarbonate + abrasion resistant coating repels rain water very well and a piece of clear automotive door edge guard placed across the top keeps water from coming over the top!
Consider a set of Grip Puppies and some Rubber Baby Buggie Bumpers for the trunk lid!
A lighted spoiler for the trunk lid
I'm sure others will be along with their favorites!

Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Postby NVSB4 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:24 am

That's quite an upgrade from a GL1100! Good luck with it.
Tom has pretty much steered you in the right direction as far as accessories.
Remember, a new bike is always just a starting place. :D
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:22 am

I put some of the stuff that the deputy mentioned, grips, baby buggy bumpers, trunk rack, highway pegs. The best change I made to this bike was the seat. If you find the stock seat to be comfortable beyond a hundred miles then more power to you. I could not get that seat to accept my butt no matter what I did, so, an Ultimate seat fixed that. Best thing I ever did for me. I don't know if it is cause I got old, but I never used to have problems with the seats on the bikes I rode. Oh, wait, I changed all the seats except one, so maybe I did have problems with the seats, :lol: :lol:
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:38 am

Congratulations on the new GL1800! A new bike is always a fun thing to have.

It is very difficult to say what someone else needs on his Gold Wing. Plus what works for you might be very uncomfortable for me!

I urge all new owners to ride a few hundred miles before spending money on farkles. Yes a CB is a great thing to have if you ride with a group that use them and have your helmets already set up. If not you will need to get headsets to talk on the CB,

I like the Baker Wings that mount under the mirrors. They actually work. As I recall the first thing I added to my Wing was some highway bars to give me a place to stretch my legs, but this was after 600 miles of riding. That about completes the comfort stuff I have added as the stock seat and my butt get along fine. I do know that if I were to go to an aftermarket seat it would be a Russell Day Long as the one I had on a previous bike was great.

I have added a Bushtec Trailer hitch and Isolator wiring system for the trailer. I added XM radio, and several years later a GPS. I did get a set of the Honda luggage (bought used), and I have been through several different camelbak water systems since I always wear a full face helmet and a Butler Cup just does not work. I need that tube to slip around inside the helmet. I have added an electrical pigtail to hook up my electrical cold weather gear and a pigtail to the battery to hook up a Battery Tender which also doubles as a connector for a small air compressor.

Eventually after many miles I did replace the scratched stock windshield with an F4. I have never regretted this upgrade.
Ride Safe and Ride Often

Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800-HPNA - 20,000+ miles
1988 Bunkhouse camping trailer
Darkside #1720

Postby wingpilot08 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:03 pm

I bought a "new to me" 2008 HPNA-ABS after riding a 1500 for almost 20 years...nice step far the only things that I have added was a receiver hitch and trailer isolator. I just recently added a fender extension on the front fender.

The previous owner had decked out the Wing with a belly pan, floorboards, Bake Air Wings, highway pegs, driving lights and extra storage bags..and chrome parts (not a big fan of chrome...but I'll keep the chrome stuff).

Personally...the CB would be useless...had one on the 1500 and used it once or twice....that would be a personal choice. I would recommend the Air Wings...they are great!

I'm staying away from a trunk rack also...not a fan of poking holes in the body work...did have it on my 1500 and it started to crack.

I'm thinking to eventually add some light to the trunk and saddlebags...but that is just a thought for now.

Have fun making it "YOUR" Wing! (get your wallet and cards ready!!)
08' GL1800-HPNA - Red 20,000+ miles
1988 Bunkhouse Trailer/Camper
Darkside #1720

Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:47 am

I would rethink the luggage rack suggestion.
1. You can put very few items in one until you've exceeded the suggested weight limit.
2. Many have experienced cracked lids on the 1800's
I would look at a Pakit Rak, if you need extra storage! ... duct_id=19

Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:54 am

I dont have a 2015 model, but for me the upgraded progressive fork springs and rear shock where the biggest improvement I have made to my wing, the standard suspension just collapses under the weight of a goldwing, fitting progressive springs and a new rear shock (or 1000lb spring), makes the bike sit higher (easier to get on center stand), gives more ground clearance in the corners, gives a better quality of ride, prevents dive under breaking and just makes the bike so much nicer to ride. I then added a +4 F4 windscreen (nicer wind protection) and keeps me drier when it rains, the baker wings (that mount to the mirrors) work brilliantly and in the summer are great for directing fresh air onto the rider!! I also stopped the antidive (by fitting a washer to the hydraulic drive unit on the fork. Finally I fitted a Utopia back rest and have been very happy with that. The bike is a joy to ride slowly or quickly and will stick with most sport bikes in the twisties!! The CB is nice, but given how little I have ever used it, it was a waste of $800!!

I would really suggest you focus on the handling first and then buy the bling later on..

Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Interstate, 1985 GL1200 LTD

Postby blackbrier » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:56 pm

Thanks for all of the input. Especially about the items that will make the wife unhappy.

A CB is mandatory, for me. I like riding in groups and being able to talk to them.

Motorcycle: '72 cb750k
500 interceptor (fun!)
600 hurricane(funner!)
'82 gs850g
93 gl1500se(trade,sigh)
2013 gl1800(yeah baby!)

Postby oilboy1162 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:09 am

got bike mp3 cb for the group rides. its great being able to communicate with our fellow riders, safely.only around $550 at wingstuff w/ antenna kit.then theres all the lights!!! cant have enough lights!!
:lol: I know people say we spend too much money on our rides, but I can't hear them when I'm 1000 miles away! :roll:

Red Ron
Motorcycle: '08, '13 GL1800
Rear-Yoko Avid Envigor 195x55x16
Front-Battleaxe BT-45

Postby Red Ron » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:52 pm

There is a power source under the left pocket. Suppose it could be used for various things but I used it for a power outlet (cigarette style) that I mounted in the left pocket. Good for charging phone and other items. I also mounted one in the trunk lit at the indicated spot; but instead of plugging into the available power in that area I ran it straight to the battery so I can use it for an air compressor. I wired in a 15 amp fuse in the line to the battery.

Motorcycle: 2000 Gl1500 Se
2012 GL1800 Level 3

Postby peppilepew » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:59 am

Take your time. Look at other wings before buying time consuming and expensive items that can't be returned. Plan to modify sections of the bike that require dismantling. Better to take it apart once and be done. Lights are important, but they can make a machine look gaudy. Chrome falls into the same category. Wings lack side lighting for safety. If installing rear armrests I would go Rivco. I like the fold down feature as opposed to the swing out design. Passengers feel safer. I would go the Utopia backrest. Baker air wings are a must for all weather riding. I would install hands, legs and side. They are a must have. Try others pegs before buying. Pegs are a personnel upgrade. Your suspension is where I would focus attention. Traxxion front shocks, Progressive rear spring and braided actuator hose. Be sure to bleed all the air out of the actuator. Your tires will love you for it. Add an auxiliary ground to the post under the seat while in there. I could go on forever. Just take your time and plan it out. You will be surprised how quick the dollars will add up. Cyclemax is a great source. In stock if on the site. Wingstuff is a crap shoot. Both are good. Add a electrical connection relay with fuse taps attached.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”