Cruise Control, set switch

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
drtimm@att.net
Motorcycle: Honda Goldwing, 2002 GL1800

Cruise Control, set switch

Postby drtimm@att.net » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:23 pm

Input, passed experience appreciated.

I have a 2002 Goldwing, 110,000 miles, great bike, love it. Having a couple of issues I would like to resolve on mine own without having to take it into the dealer, so I'm requesting insights from other Goldwing owners with similar bikes and similar problems in the past.

First issue: The set switch on the cruise control only works at first attempt, say 50% of the time. After several attempts of trying to lock in at a certain speed I just give up. Other times it sets on first try. Anybody experience this, and if so what is the problem?

Second issue: Lately whenever I hit a bump of an inch or so the front suspension seems to bottom out, meaning it seems to hit hard. I rebuilt the forks a yr. ago with OEM oil seals. No oil spots under the forks noticed. Could this be in bad bearing in the steering Hd.?

Your Insights and experience would be appreciated.Thanks

Dennis, Lincoln, Ca

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Re: Cruise Control, set switch

Postby MikeB » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:01 am

Cruise - Possibly either the foot or hand brake cruise cancel switches are not returning to its relaxed position or, the cruise cancel switch is not returning to its relaxed position.

The Anti Dive valve on the left fork may be causing the problem. Either remove it and clean it or replace it.

That is what I would be looking at if I were you.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

dell77
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500 Aspencade

Postby dell77 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:28 am

Dennis,
I agree with Mike. My 02 had same problem. While riding at hiway speed do this one at a time. Push clutch lever out away from handlebar. Try cruise set. If it won't set, move to front brake lever, push out, away from handlebar, try cruise. If still won't set, move to foot brake, raise pedal with foot and set cruise. I'll bet you find one of the three to be the problem. Mine was the clutch lever. Sometimes cruise would set and sometimes not. I tried adjusting sensor and finally gave up. Now whenever the cruise won't set, just a little outward pressure on clutch lever and it works like a charm. Sorry, can't help with other issue. Good luck.

drtimm@att.net

Postby drtimm@att.net » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:47 pm

Mike B,and Dell,

Wish to thank you both for your input on my post. Your recommendations seems very logical for solving the problems. I will certainly check them out, and see if they resolve the issues. Thanks again for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.

MikeB
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:39 pm

You are welcome. Please get back to all of us to let us know if you have found and corrected the issue.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

Ghostman
Motorcycle: gl1800

Postby Ghostman » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:00 am

If you have the original fork springs theyre probably shot. Theyre cheap to replace. You might also look at pulling your levers and checking the pivot pin bushings to see if theyre worn. Sometimes worn bushings can cause this same issue.

drtimm@att.net

Postby drtimm@att.net » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:04 pm

Mike B.
Thought I'd pass on this info to you as you expressed in knowing if your suggestion on the set speed switch would resolve my issue. As it turns out it is my brake lever not going into it's relaxed mode. I may look at the pivot pin in that that lever for wear as Ghostman has suggested for the cause.

Thanks again.

Dennis

MikeB
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:15 pm

Thanks for the reply Dennis.

MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”