Newer GL1800 Rear brake drag recall solution

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
ka4yqi
Motorcycle: 1998 Goldwing SE

Newer GL1800 Rear brake drag recall solution

Postby ka4yqi » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:04 pm

Just seen this and if it is a repeat delete it please.
Steve

It took a while but Honda finally has a solution to a problem affecting Gold Wings that resulted in two previous recalls. Honda first began a recall in December 2011 on Gold Wing from model years 2001-2010 and 2012. In September 2014, Honda re-addressed the problem, initiating a second recall because the first recall solution did not work.

Honda is in the process of amending the second recall with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration with a solution and Gold Wing owners will soon be asked to bring their bikes in for inspection. Meanwhile, Honda is opening new recalls in Japan and Canada on Gold Wing models, expanding the recall to model years 2013-2015 as well. The original two NHTSA recalls do not include these more recent model years but we expect the recall will be expanded to include 2013-2015 models.

The problem is with the secondary master cylinder of the Gold Wing’s combined braking system. Something was causing the rear brake to drag, even when the brake pedal is released. A dragging rear brake may affect stability, increase the risk of a crash. More alarmingly, over an extended period of riding, it may generate enough heat to catch fire.

Documents released by NHTSA for the original 2011 recall attribute the problem to a lack of sufficient free play inside the master cylinder that can cause a blockage of the compensating port. Documents for the second recall indicate the problem was continuing to happen, even on recalled motorcycles. As of July 24, 2014, Honda had received 533 reports of rear brake drag including eight reports of small fires. At the time, Honda did not know what was causing the problem, nor did it have a solution for preventing it.

Honda now believes the problem is caused by a chemical reaction releasing a zinc compound into the brake fluid and preventing the hydraulic pressure from dropping and releasing the rear brake. Honda has developed a new secondary master cylinder that will prevent this from happening. Honda dealers will inspect the secondary master cylinders on affected motorcycles and, if necessary, replace it and flush the brake hoses.

[Source: Honda, Transport Canada, Japan’s Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism]

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Re: Newer GL1800 Rear brake drag recall solution

Postby redial » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:36 am

This looks like they may have eventually got a real solution. But the weak point is the inspection by the dealer, and, depending on the expertise of the technician, whether the rear brake cylinder gets replaced or passed as being ok. Hmmmm. 1500s are still great.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:24 am

redial wrote:This looks like they may have eventually got a real solution. But the weak point is the inspection by the dealer, and, depending on the expertise of the technician, whether the rear brake cylinder gets replaced or passed as being ok. Hmmmm. 1500s are still great.

Please read the article agin! It's the secondary master brake cylinder, not the rear brake cylinder

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:07 pm

Sorry for the misinformation, I was thinking what a job it was to remove the rear, and that is what got me off onto the wrong words coming out of my fingers :o
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:20 am

redial wrote:Sorry for the misinformation, I was thinking what a job it was to remove the rear, and that is what got me off onto the wrong words coming out of my fingers :o

It's OK, I'm just glad I've never made an oops :roll:

Red Ron
Motorcycle: '08, '13 GL1800
Rear-Yoko Avid Envigor 195x55x16
Front-Battleaxe BT-45

Postby Red Ron » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:06 am

It says that if replacement is necessary they also flush brake lines. Wonder if they will flush the whole system in proper order or just the line going to the SMC.?

lebarone
Motorcycle: 2007 gl1800

Postby lebarone » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:20 am

Hi, in 2013 my bike's rear brake locked up and had the recall part installed.
In 2014 on my way to Alaska the rear brake again locked up.
When I arrived home I went to the Honda Dealer and they told me another recall is in process, which a letter was sent to me about the next recall.
The dealer has no clue what part is for the recall and I have placed at the dealership on call for the next inspection.

It isn't a pleasant thing having the rear brakes come on without notice. Especially when your wife and a loaded trailer are on the bike.
I do still love the bike thou.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:25 am

tfdeputydawg wrote:Please read the article agin! It's the secondary master brake cylinder, not the rear brake cylinder

Actually, the Transport Canada recall includes the rear master cylinder and flushing the lines. Read here:

http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/7/V ... esult&pg=0
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Bamaeagle
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800 w/Tow Pac
1997 GL1500

Postby Bamaeagle » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:19 pm

Guess I need to check mine and see if it is on the recall list. Knock on wood I have not had any problems with the brakes.
JERRY

Ride Safe Always!!!

Roll Tide Roll !!

Darksider #1147

Double Darkside - Bridgestone Battlax BT45 130/70/18 Front, Achiles Platinum 195/60/R16 Rear (GL1800)

tonyragi
Motorcycle: 2010 Honda Goldwing

Postby tonyragi » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:12 pm

The rear brake on my 2010 GW1800 locked up about this time last year. I had been to the dealer for each recall and they found nothing. I was riding with a group and the brake locked up after a stop. I kept adding power until it was wide open and was barely making 50 mph. I smelled the burn and pulled over, unfortunately on an intersecting street as there was a minimal shoulder. As the bike was in gear when I stopped and the transmission was under torque, it would not come out of gear. It took 5 of us to muscle the bike off the road it was blocking. After about 10 minutes, it cooled down and let me change gears and start the engine. I rode the remaining 50 miles without incident. A few days later I got it to the dealer. He checked and tested all day without finding a problem and was backing it off the maintenance stand when, luckily, it locked up. Thus I got the full replacement routine, although it took weeks to get the parts. Have not had any more problems after 9000 or so miles but i still have a nagging worry.

tuslerb
Motorcycle: 2014 gl1800
2003 cr250

Postby tuslerb » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:00 pm

Current recall information as of November 4th, 2015

This is a link to check you MC by VIN #. http://powersports.honda.com/recalls.aspx

Thank you to George Harper from NC-F2 for sending the below link about a gold wing recall and everyone should read the article.

Http://blog.motorcycle.com/2015/11/04/m ... old-wings/

Happy wheeling

BRT

crock4
Motorcycle: 2001 Goldwing
2007 VT 750 shadow Aero Sold
2001 harley softail deuce Sold
2003 harley road king sold
2010 Honda Stateline

Postby crock4 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:47 am

tuslerb wrote:Current recall information as of November 4th, 2015

This is a link to check you MC by VIN #. http://powersports.honda.com/recalls.aspx

Thank you to George Harper from NC-F2 for sending the below link about a gold wing recall and everyone should read the article.

Http://blog.motorcycle.com/2015/11/04/m ... old-wings/

Happy wheeling

BRT

Good article. My dealer told me about the parts replacement, said parts should start coming in sometime in Dec. The article mentioned a new procedure for flushing brakes I assume to mitigate future problem. Have to get a copy of that when parts are changed. Just my luck I just flushed my whole system when I put new pads on front.
Passion keeps your blood flowing and your heart beating. Motorcycles are my passion !

Red Ron
Motorcycle: '08, '13 GL1800
Rear-Yoko Avid Envigor 195x55x16
Front-Battleaxe BT-45

Postby Red Ron » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:14 pm

Called powersports customer service this morning to get their take on it mainly because my local service manager seemed to be of the attitude that you can wait about a month or so and bring it in and if we have the parts we will fix it, if not I can leave the bike and they will order the parts. I think I have read that other dealers are already repairing '13's / '15's as well as '01's through 12's. He said that was ridiculous. He said that after you get the letter take it in to any dealer and if they don't have the parts they are supposed to order them for your bike and bring it in when the parts arrive and repair whould be 2.5 to 3 hours. He said the secondary master and the rear master are replaced. He also said they would do a full system flush because of the linked brakeing system. He seemed to indicate that letters for '13's on would be coming out in a few days.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”