auto volumn control

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
plottc
Motorcycle: 2006 Honda Goldwing 1800

auto volumn control

Postby plottc » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:21 pm

I purchased a 2006 Honda gl1800 audio that was triked with a 2013 Champion independent suspension kit. I discovered that I don't any longer have automatic volume control. After looking at a shop manual, I called the home office for Champion to talk to a tech. He admitted that they don't have a way to connect the AVC lead to the trike wheel.
Does anybody have a reasonable work around to get back the AVC option? It is something that I really like.
Thank you,
Carter

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: auto volumn control

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:28 am

This does not make sense.

Here's how this works: There is a vehicle speed sensor mounted into the side of the transmission, just in front of the brake pedal. It generates a pulse whenever the output portion of the transmission is turning - which means the driveshaft and rear wheel(s) are also turning. This pulse is fed to the combination meter, where the frequency of this pulse is measured and translated into speed to move the needle on your speedometer.

The pulse is also fed OUT of the combination meter to other things that need to have speed information: navigation system, cruise control, and audio system (for AVC).

So basically, if your cruise control is working, then your AVC should be working fine as well. If it's not, there's likely a broken or pinched wire leading from the combination meter to the radio.

If your cruise control is not working, but your speedometer is working fine, then the output from the combination meter has an issue.

If your speedometer is not working, you likely have a failed vehicle speed sensor, in which case the cruise control and AVC will not be working either.

m2102
Motorcycle: new to me 1800 wing

Postby m2102 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:14 pm

I think I have an issue with my AVC. Cruise works as it should and so does the speedo. Wingadmin you mentioned a pinched wire. Suggestions where to look for it? I can set AVC at highway speed and at in town and can't really tell a difference. Glad I saw this thread.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:44 pm

m2102 wrote:I think I have an issue with my AVC. Cruise works as it should and so does the speedo. Wingadmin you mentioned a pinched wire. Suggestions where to look for it? I can set AVC at highway speed and at in town and can't really tell a difference. Glad I saw this thread.

We will be looking for a black/white wire on the 40 pin B connector on the back of the combination meter:

Meter Pulse Out
Meter Pulse Out

It is connected to pin B 40:

B Connector on Meter
B Connector on Meter

When plugged into the meter with the bike turned on (engine does not need to be started, but ignition should be in ON) connect a meter to this wire and rotate the rear tire. You should see a 5 volt pulse on this wire.

Next do the same thing, but we are checking the B connector on the radio, which is a 34-pin grey connector:

B connector on Radio
B connector on Radio

We are looking at pin 19, still a black/white wire. We should be seeing the 5 volt pulse going into the radio at this point when the rear wheel is rotated and the bike is turned ON.

Audio Pulse In
Audio Pulse In

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:50 pm

Before any of this, I should mention that you should also make sure the AVC is TURNED ON! Remember there are different settings for headphones and speakers. Turn the AVC on HIGH and have the volume relatively low, so that you can notice if it is having an effect.

Also make sure the Mute button isn't pressed in on your left handlebar.

m2102
Motorcycle: new to me 1800 wing

Postby m2102 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:56 pm

Thanks WingAdmin, gives me a place to begin.

plottc
Motorcycle: 2006 Honda Goldwing 1800

Postby plottc » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:08 am

WingAdmin wrote:This does not make sense.

Here's how this works: There is a vehicle speed sensor mounted into the side of the transmission, just in front of the brake pedal. It generates a pulse whenever the output portion of the transmission is turning - which means the driveshaft and rear wheel(s) are also turning. This pulse is fed to the combination meter, where the frequency of this pulse is measured and translated into speed to move the needle on your speedometer.

The pulse is also fed OUT of the combination meter to other things that need to have speed information: navigation system, cruise control, and audio system (for AVC).

So basically, if your cruise control is working, then your AVC should be working fine as well. If it's not, there's likely a broken or pinched wire leading from the combination meter to the radio.

If your cruise control is not working, but your speedometer is working fine, then the output from the combination meter has an issue.

If your speedometer is not working, you likely have a failed vehicle speed sensor, in which case the cruise control and AVC will not be working either.

Reply to WingAdmin:

Thank you very much for the reply. Since I am not technically versed in this stuff, I want to be sure this applies to a trike situation as well as a standard two wheeled wing before I contact someone to work on the situation.

Once again, I appreciate your time and the response

Carter

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:53 am

plottc wrote:Reply to WingAdmin:

Thank you very much for the reply. Since I am not technically versed in this stuff, I want to be sure this applies to a trike situation as well as a standard two wheeled wing before I contact someone to work on the situation.

Once again, I appreciate your time and the response

Carter

There should be no difference with a trike vs a two-wheeled bike. The vehicle speed sensor is built into the transmission and has no dependence on there being one back wheel or two. As long as your speedometer, cruise control and turn signal auto-shutoff are working, your AVC should be working as well.

Wayne
Motorcycle: 2000 Valkyrie Tourer
2008 GL1800 Level 3 White
2015 GL1800 Level 3 Red/Black Anniversary

Postby Wayne » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:12 pm

Might mention that there separate A/V controls for H/S and ext. speakers. Like WingAdmin said the fact it is a trike has nothing to do with the A/V.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”