Saddle bag rear edge protection

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
dmuel52
Motorcycle: 2014 GL1800 Goldwing
2006 Kawasaki Nomad

Saddle bag rear edge protection

Postby dmuel52 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:20 am

I recently experienced gouging on my saddle bags at the rear sharp corner edges while at Street Vibrations in Reno. Needless to say I was pretty upset since my bike was less than a year old at the time. Are there any suggestions as how to protect those sharp edges. I'm sure I'm not the only one to experience this. The newer saddle bag design makes this rear edge very susceptible to paint damage. I have searched for aftermarket trim but there doesn't seem to be anything out there. Any ideas or suggestions other than repainting and be very cautious in the future.

Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Re: Saddle bag rear edge protection

Postby Big Blue UK » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:15 am

A mate bought some clear vinyl wrap, trimmed it to the size he wanted, warmed it with a hairdryer, and stuck it in place, it is hardly noticeable.
There is good and bad quality, some you can use a hairdryer on before/after the vinyl is stuck into place.
He used detailing clay, then alcohol to make sure the surface was spotless first.
Some can be applied wet, this is a larger scale, doing the edges of your panniers is easy

I am considering using the heat shrink type on the front of the trailer, as I am sick of stone chips from the rear wheels.
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”