Getting a "New" 2008 ABS--MX help/insight

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
mobe
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 ABS Red Metallic

Getting a "New" 2008 ABS--MX help/insight

Postby mobe » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:48 pm

Hello,

Goldwingers. I have just taken a jump to the "far side". :D I am in the process of trading in my Harley for a new 0 miles 2008 GoldWing ABS. I have not yet picked it up or finished the Final paperwork.

I have a bunch of questions but for my first post on this thread I'll keep it hopefully a simple one.

Here goes. Talking to the Finance person on the phone. I was offered all the usual stuff. Warranty, Paint protectant, and something called a Maintenance Plan.

The Maintenance Plan price is $999.00 for 3 years. Long story short........Should I do this?? I've been doing the Harley thing for 13 years and do my own stuff in my home garage. However, obviously the Honda thing is a tad different. I have no concept of the Maintenance required, necessary or preventive, with Hondas. Is the $999.00 worth it??

I live in the Phoenix, AZ area. I have heard of a non-Honda shop out here that works on Hondas and supposedly is where "everyone" takes their bike.

Any ideas/perspectives would be appreciated.

Thanks, Mobe

Keyboard
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800

Re: Getting a "New" 2008 ABS--MX help/insight

Postby Keyboard » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:21 am

Personally, I think all maintenance plans and extended warranties for the Gold Wing is a waste of money. The maintenance on the Gold Wing is easy and very few things go wrong that would require a dealer to fix. If you've done work on your Harley's, then you'll love the ease of working on your Gold Wing, as well as the little maintenance that is required.

Having said that, the $999.00 price tag for the maintenance plan is way too high. The Honda protection plan can be gotten for $499.00. This is their extended warranty and is good for an additional 4 years after the original 3 year warranty.
Check out this site: http://www.directlineparts.com/byBrand. ... Plan&str=4
and this site: http://powersports.honda.com/2009/gold- ... ranty.aspx

Also, is the dealer offering a maintenance plan or the extended warranty? There is a difference. Maintenance plans imply that the dealer will take care of service work for "free", but you've really paid for it up front. Extended warranty is for stuff that goes wrong after the original warranty expires.

If you still plan on getting the extended warranty, then make sure it's not just for that specific dealership, but the Honda corporate warranty. Several folks have been burned by these so-called dealer-specific warranties and plans.

Finally, Honda will not honor warranty work done by non-Honda shops. So, be sure that any warranty work is performed by an authorized Honda dealer.

Finally (again), Check out this site: http://gl1800riders.com/forums/forums.php. It's the most popular site for the Gold Wing where there's tons of knowledge and experience. You might want to post your question there also.
My Bike Collection:
2010 Gold Wing + 2004 Rune, 2011 R1200RT, & 2011 Road King Classic

gareva1
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 Prem Audio

Postby gareva1 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:48 am

Keyboard is right on the point for the most part, but as with most things, it really depends on the individual:

How many miles do you rack up a year on your harley? How many miles do you intend to put on your wing? Depending on your usage habits, and if you intend to stay wherever you live for the next few years (most maintenance plans are offered by the dealers, and don't transfer to other dealers if you relocate) the maintenance plan may be a good idea...

Let's make some assumptions...I don't know about the fine print in the plan you are looking at, but let's assume that it covers all scheduled maintenance labor, parts, and fees---you bring the bike in, the work gets done as if you were any other customer, and you leave, paying nothing each time it comes in. Let's say you only ride 10k miles a year---the maintenance plan would be a bad purchase in that scenario. By the book, oil changes are at 8k mile intervals (I understand some people do it more often, but book calls for 8k), you'll likely change one air filter in that span of 3 years, some plugs along the way, rear drive oil a couple times, and do a brake and clutch fluid swap...at the end of three years, the valve clearance check will end up on you (I think it falls at 32k miles), which really is the only maintenance task most wingers feel uneasy about, especially if an adjustment is necessary. You simply wouldn't break even, even if you had them do all the scheduled maintenance religiously, and it's a bad deal.

However, let's say you ride 1000 miles a week (it's not as hard as you think...I have a day job and typically put in 500-1000 miles a week no sweat year round, of course I live in the south where you can ride year round...)...now that deal makes a little more sense---oil changes every 1.5-2 months, clutch/brake fluid every 3-4 months, valve checks every 5-6 months, assuming they pay for brake pads, that will also be twice a year---hell, you've almost paid for the maintenance plan just in brake pads if they are included in this scenario.

If it's somewhere in the middle on mileage, then of course the value will be somewhere in the middle.

As far as extended warranties go, consider this---at 450-500 for an extended warranty, the first failure you have outside of the warranty that involves pulling the plastics will likely pay for this expense. I know of more than one person who have had their alternator drive gear replaced under extended warranty (involves removing the engine from the frame and typically costs $1-2000 depending on the shop), as well as more than a few people who have had bent shift forks replaced (also engine removal, closer to $3-4k) on the extended warranty...in fact, I bought the extended warranty after I noticed the bike slip when shifting into fifth, and knew it was coming; my shift fork failure happened during the factory warranty, but it would have been a bike-ender for me if I would have had it fail outside the warranty and had to pay for it out of pocket.

I do most of my own work, and have even made nice with my dealer and sometimes do my own work in the dealer's air conditioned service bay...However, if I had been given the option for them doing ALL scheduled maintenance for unlimited miles, I likely would have given it consideration---not sure if I would have done it, but it would definitely been thought about hard. I know by the 3 year mark I will have spent way more than 999 on parts, not including my own labor.

gareva1

Postby gareva1 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:55 am

By the way, clarification needs to be made---the honda protection plan is an extended warranty on top of the factory warranty, and extends the factory coverage to 7 years...not a bad deal for the price, and if you want this you definitely should get it through directline, as they have the best price I have ever seen on it (my local dealer wanted 800 for it)---it should also be mentioned that warranty service varies from honda dealer to dealer...some dealers will cover things like fork seals and headlight bulbs under warranty, others will give you the runaround on legitimate things...but for some reason it has been noticed that having the extended warranty seems to make some dealers warm up to you when you are getting work done even during the factory warranty period...I guess most assume you bought the extended warranty from them and they've already made some profit on the deal...you see, when a dealer does warranty work, they get paid a flat rate by honda, and it usually doesn't cover the actual time spent on the job (bent shift fork pays like 15hrs, where the actual job takes closer to 30hrs of constant dedicated time)

What you are being offered sounds like what I mentioned in my last post, a scheduled pre-paid maintenance plan...and the value is dependent on a lot of variables.

mobe
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 ABS Red Metallic

Postby mobe » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:09 am

Thanks guys!

I'm more than likely going to purchase the Honda Protection Plan to put me out to the 7 year mark. I had come across the one available at http://www.DirectlineParts.com ($499.00) and that will most likely be where I purchase the Protection Plan.

As for the 3 year Maintenance Plan for $999.00, I think I'll pass. I won't be riding the bike daily and just as an average ball park figure would not see going over 12,000 miles per year. I don't know the MX schedules but it sounds like with my mileage that would be 1-2 oil changes per year and I'd do that myself.

So, to make sure that I have this correct, it looks like in my case it would be a waste of $999.00 at averaging 12,000 miles per year on the bike. I'm going to assume that with me doing oil changes, and the remaining fluid changes, that I'd come out ahead doing the "simple" MX stuff myself.

Thanks again and if anyone else has some insight I'd appreciate it!! Knowledge is power.

gareva1

Postby gareva1 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:33 am

I would say it's probably a waste if you can bleed your brakes and clutch on your own...here's the service schedule:

http://www.wingtechtips.com/1800epss/ep ... edule0.htm

Book calls for changing the air filter, clutch and brake fluid every 12k miles, but most people move to a 20-30k mile interval on the air filter because it stays so clean...I suppose if you are doing it all by the book, every year before you start the riding year you would do an air filter, clutch and brake bleed, and every other year throw in a coolant swap (not difficult)...if you are only putting in those miles a year, I'd consider doing the rear drive oil once a year, even though it technically only is required every 24k miles....then again, with many trike builders practically giving rear drives away, you could just buy one for like $50 and put it on a shelf in case you ever have a problem with your rear drive.

FlyBoy2121
Motorcycle: Honda GoldWing
Gl 1800 2003

Postby FlyBoy2121 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:52 pm

I mobe

Congratulations for your purchase .
For service that offers you your dealer, very expensive.
You did maintenance on your Harley.
If you follow the schedule in the manual driver, and you use the Honda oil and filter.
I advise to go to your dealer for your first oil change, and you talk to him about what you want to change the oil with other Honda product, your dealer has nothing to say.
This bike has a good reliability.
I wish you good trip with your GoldWing.

FlyBoy2121 :D

gareva1

Postby gareva1 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:06 pm

This needs to be said if it has never been said here before:

You DO NOT have to run the honda oil and filter---if that were a requirement by the manufacturer, they would have to provide the oil and filter to you at no cost. This is simply not the case. All that you have to do for compliance is change the oil with one that meets the spec in the owners manual---namely, 10-30 or 10-40 (dino or synth), with a JASO rating of MA. If it meets these requirements, you are fine. Period. If any dealer tries to tell you otherwise, a quick call to Honda corporate will straighten them out before you can hang up the phone.

Although some people do it, I personally wouldn't recommend running any 20-50 oil you may have left over from the harley. It doesn't meet the spec for what that's worth.

FlyBoy2121
Gl 1800 2003

Postby FlyBoy2121 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:18 am

I

For experience is not good to thing to be on good terms with your dealer.

To be unlucky and you have a serious problem with your bike.

You will not be a good service on your bike.

I do not want to scare you

I have already work for a dealer.

Made of fine travel with your bike

gareva1

Postby gareva1 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:22 am

FlyBoy---

I am not sure if I understand your translation...maybe you could rewrite it and see if it comes out clearer.

I think it says that having a good relationship with a dealer is a bad thing. If so, you are wrong. There is no "agree to disagree", you are just wrong. I hate to be so harsh about it, but that is just how it is. There is nothing bad that I can see with being friends with a dealer and their mechanics...having a rapport with the people who will work on your bike in a serious warranty failure can do nothing but good. This doesn't mean that you have to pay them for all of your maintenance, but occasionally throwing them business via parts instead of buying everything online helps establish a relationship with your dealer. I've worked around dealerships too, and it is a fact in most of them that the people whom the service department at least knows and have some kind of history tend to get priority scheduling over total strangers...it may not be how it should be done, but it is very commonplace.

In many cases, there are dealers who will overcharge you for maintenance type things, and many dealers do not have certified staff available who are experts in goldwings...but if you find a dealer who is honest and has a mechanic who specializes in goldwings, it would be worth it to be nice and try to stay on good terms. I do not know how the warranty process works in Canada, but in the United States, the local dealer you bring your bike to when you have a serious problem has a lot of power over the situation. If you do not have the dealer's support in a major warranty issue/claim, you will find yourself in a very bad situation, one that will take a long time to resolve and may not end the way you want.

I said I have made friends with ONE of my local dealers and mechanics---there are three dealers within a 20 mile radius of me, and I have been to all three for one reason or another in the past. The only one I would trust with my goldwing is the one I currently do business with. Not all dealers are the same...I am sorry you worked for a bad dealer, but that is no reason to condemn all of them.

FlyBoy2121
Gl 1800 2003

Postby FlyBoy2121 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:43 am

I gareva1

I return with a clear translation.

FlyBoy2121
Gl 1800 2003

Postby FlyBoy2121 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:00 pm

For Gareva1 ONLY

For your reading pleasure, I have come back with a ''clearer'' translation so you can better undestand what I am trying to tell you!

It is not a good thing to go against what your dealer says. If you do so you will not be in good term with them.
Unfortunately if a major problem were to arise, you will not have a good service for your bike. Trust me, I have worked many years for a dealer and I know the underlining politics that go on in a dealership.

What I have noticed is that everytime I write a message, you seem to always criticise what I say. I write my messages to simply help others with their problems and questions. When I will have a message for you personally, I will be sure to address you by name. In the meantime, I would appreciate if you keep your criticism to yourself or to the bare minimum. My post may not be of help to you but they might be of help to others.

Furthermore, I would like to informe you that I have 32 years of experience in this field. I am self taught and I have worked with many different techniques and tools. So, I believe that with this vaste experience, I think I can safely say that I know what I am talking about.

Just to be fair, if you would like to reply to this message, please do so in french, so I can better understand what you are saying.

Yours truely,

gareva1

Postby gareva1 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:31 pm

I openly gave you the benefit of the doubt when I said that I did not understand your translation, and it did not sound right. Based upon your reply, it appears that your original translation indeed said something that you did not mean.

I also post to help others, and do the best I can to relay the best answer I can find, whether from first hand knowledge or by refence of some other source. I would appreciate it if you were not so sensitive and take it personally when someone else posts on the forum critical of your response, or when someone posts an opinion different from yours. I don't think that will happen. I don't know you personally, and there's no hard feelings. However, if you think I am only going to speak when you address me openly on a public forum, you are sadly mistaken.

Although you have a vast amount of experience by claim, that does not make you, or me, a complete expert in the design and mechanics of the goldwing motorcycle. I would like to inform you that if you say something that I consider false, or I feel there is a better way to approach something than what you say, I will continue to speak up. I know people with 40+ years of experience who know very little...it is not how long you have been doing something that counts, it is how well you have been doing it. Alternatively, if you feel an answer I give is incorrect, give the correct answer and show why it is right.

Unfortunately, I do not have a human translator to do the language work (I assume that is what you did, if not, this round was much easier to understand), so I'll have to drop it into google and see how it comes out:

-----------

Je ouvertement vous a donné le bénéfice du doute quand j'ai dit que je ne comprends pas votre traduction, et il n'a pas de bon sens. Sur la base de votre réponse, il semble que votre traduction originale en effet dit quelque chose que vous ne vouliez pas.

Je post pour aider les autres, et faire du mieux que je peux pour relayer la meilleure réponse que je peux trouver, qu'il s'agisse de connaissances de première main ou par refence d'une autre source. Je vous serais reconnaissant si vous n'étiez pas si sensible et le prenez pas personnellement si quelqu'un d'autre messages sur le forum essentiel de votre réponse, ou lorsque quelqu'un publie un avis différent du vôtre. Je ne pense pas que cela se produira. Je ne vous connais pas personnellement, et il n'y a pas de rancune. Toutefois, si vous pensez que je vais seulement parler quand vous me répondre ouvertement sur un forum public, vous vous trompez.

Même si vous avez une grande quantité d'expérience par la revendication, qui ne vous font, ou moi, un expert dans la conception complète et la mécanique de la moto Goldwing. Je tiens à vous informer que si vous dites quelque chose que je considère comme fausses, ou je sens qu'il ya une meilleure façon d'aborder quelque chose que ce que vous dites, je vais continuer à parler. Je connais des gens avec 40 + années d'expérience qui connaissent très peu ... ce n'est pas combien de temps vous avez fait quelque chose qui compte, c'est la façon dont vous l'avez fait. Alternativement, si vous vous sentez une réponse que je donne sont inexacts, donner la bonne réponse et de montrer pourquoi il est juste.

Malheureusement, je n'ai pas un traducteur humain pour faire le travail de la langue (je suppose que c'est ce que vous avez, sinon, ce cycle est beaucoup plus facile à comprendre), donc je vais devoir le faire tomber dans Google et voir comment il se OUT.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”