Can I Update my 2006 gps with a 4gb compact flash card and Garmin nüMaps Lifetime North America Map Updates

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Creeks
Motorcycle: 2006 Roadsmith Trike GL1800

Can I Update my 2006 gps with a 4gb compact flash card and Garmin nüMaps Lifetime North America Map Updates

Postby Creeks » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:04 pm

Can I Update my 2006 gps with a 4gb compact flash card and Garmin nüMaps Lifetime North America Map Updates If so any input would be appreciated.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: Can I Update my 2006 gps with a 4gb compact flash card and Garmin nüMaps Lifetime North America Map Updates

Postby themainviking » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:45 am

Well, yes or no. Yeah, that is wishywashy, but one member here was able to use a 4GB CF card, but I was not. He has a US model bike, while I have a Cdn model bike. I do not know why that made a difference, but it seemed to have. My bike will not recognize a 4GB card, while his does. So I guess the full answer is - if you are willing to shell out the money to find out, then go ahead. It appears you have a 50/50 chance of success. If it were me tho, because I already tried it unsuccessfully, I would purchase Garmin's update, which, if it does not work, they will refund it. I am not familiar with the Garmin NuMaps line, so I do not know if you can use it. What we use is CNNANT, from which we make a map image for Garmin products. CNNANT is City Navigator North America NT.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Lonny
Motorcycle: 94 gl1500 goldwing

Re: Can I Update my 2006 gps with a 4gb compact flash card and Garmin nüMaps Lifetime North America Map Updates

Postby Lonny » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:27 pm

be sure and make a directory on the CF card Garmin to put the map and updates in or it will not recognize the card. also the map has to be renamed gmapsupp.img instead of gmapprom.img. hope this helps

Creeks
Motorcycle: 2006 Roadsmith Trike GL1800

Postby Creeks » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:57 pm

I tried to follow directions, bought a 4gb card and downloaded the update on it, but it wouldn't recognize it, so I put the files from the 2gb card in the bike on the computer, Then downloaded the update on the 2gb card, but it still wouldn't take it. So I cleared the 2 gb card and put the information from the garmin file from my computer back on the 2 gb card but now the bike doesn't recognize the map files, they are on the card 3 files that were on it originally, but it won't work, so I guess I will give up and buy the 2014 april update from Garmin, but will end up outdated again in a year or so.. I have the 4.10 program on my trike, was trying to download the 4.8 program to read NT garmin files. Does anyone know if the 2014 update for 2006 goldwing update the program to 4.8 ????? Thanks for all the advice not sure were I messed up I did make the Garmin folder ???????

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:54 am

Creeks wrote:Does anyone know if the 2014 update for 2006 goldwing update the program to 4.8 ?????

I did not know there was a version 4.8, but I do know that Garmin's update will give you a new version of the firmware. I thought it was 4.7 but I could be wrong.

It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”