Lo beam headlights out

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
silverbullet07
Motorcycle: 2007 GL1800

Lo beam headlights out

Postby silverbullet07 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:23 pm

Has anyone had to replace the reverse regulator assembly due to this issue ?
2007 GL1800 with ABS and NAVI

PastoT
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (107k)

Re: Lo beam headlights out

Postby PastoT » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:40 pm

Don't dive to deep into this issue quite yet. The reverse and start switches both have two sets of contacts they operate when we depress them. They get dirty and gummed up easily enough and sooner or later one or both will not function and leave you without headlights! I freaked the first time it happened to me. Work the buttons in and out several times an d ensure the reverse sqwitch button is popping back out, this can usually get them to release and function. Soon enough it will be time to get some spray contact cleaner (Radio Shack usually) and spray in and around those switches (right in the cracks) and work them back and forth even more then repeat.

The reverse, mute, hazard, fog and cruise switches all seem to be subject to this sooner or later. The turn indicator switch is an easy spray out but the rest occasionally have required owners to disassemble and cleaned them (I've been lucky). Cold weather aggravates the issue as contact grease gets gummy, try warming them with a hair dryer. This year I've only had dust issues with the turn switch.
Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 108k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:43 am

If the Hi Beams still work, try cleaning the Low/Hi Beam switch.
There is also the possibility that the LO Beam fuse is open. I think it is fuse #26.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

silverbullet07

Postby silverbullet07 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:54 pm

PastoT wrote:Don't dive to deep into this issue quite yet. The reverse and start switches both have two sets of contacts they operate when we depress them. They get dirty and gummed up easily enough and sooner or later one or both will not function and leave you without headlights! I freaked the first time it happened to me. Work the buttons in and out several times an d ensure the reverse sqwitch button is popping back out, this can usually get them to release and function. Soon enough it will be time to get some spray contact cleaner (Radio Shack usually) and spray in and around those switches (right in the cracks) and work them back and forth even more then repeat.

The reverse, mute, hazard, fog and cruise switches all seem to be subject to this sooner or later. The turn indicator switch is an easy spray out but the rest occasionally have required owners to disassemble and cleaned them (I've been lucky). Cold weather aggravates the issue as contact grease gets gummy, try warming them with a hair dryer. This year I've only had dust issues with the turn switch.

Thanks for the reply PastoT,. I did do my homework and investigated all the possibilities of the headlight problem. As you suggested I cleaned the starter/reverse switch, reverse switch and checked relays/fuses. I sprayed some electrical cleaner in them with no avail. That is when I asked for help and hoped I wouldn't have to dive in so far as you put it. I am not the best at electrical situations, so having the most complicated motorcycle in the world makes no sense at all. I guess I will learn now.
I'm not sure how or why, but maybe it took some time for the cleaner to soak in, but after a lot of searching, poking and probing with my meter, I got a light to work. Yay !! Only one though so I checked the bulb for continuity and found that it was bad as well. Maybe from checking so much.
I have ordered a set of HID lights for the low beams as one of the other members suggested. I should be back in business soon. Thanks so much for your help :)

silverbullet07

Postby silverbullet07 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:00 pm

MikeB wrote:If the Hi Beams still work, try cleaning the Low/Hi Beam switch.
There is also the possibility that the LO Beam fuse is open. I think it is fuse #26.

Thanks MikeB for your reply ! I wrote a reply to PastoT who helped me as well and wanted to say the same thing to you. So look at that post and know it goes the same for you. Thank you so much for your help and have a Happy Thanksgiving :)

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:11 pm

Sure. I'm happy you have it under control. You didn't give a lot of particulars in your first post so I figured I'd start with the basics.

It kind of looked like you were headed down a pretty complicated path and it seemed important at the time to make sure you had the basics checked first.

Yup, HID's are the way to go for improved lighting. I love mine. But make sure your OEM low beam system works properly before you start working on the new HID installation. It is always good to start with a known good system.

Mike
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

PastoT
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (107k)

Postby PastoT » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:01 am

Glad you see the light now... lol. Now here is my luck. Last time I responded to a headlight problem I had to replace my low beams a day to two later as both burned out. Guess what... I jynxed myself and this weekend I burnt one out again (honestly though its been a year and almost 20k miles so my time was due). I give up. Just for anyone wondering Sylvania Silver Stars are $40 a pair at Autozone.

Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 108k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”