gl1800 height

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
huggiebear
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800 airbag
2005 GL1800 with side Car and Trailer

gl1800 height

Postby huggiebear » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:52 pm

Hello everyone!
Not sure if I opened an existing topic, if I did I apologize.
In July 2015 I was riding with my wife when I in to a pothole on the highway, the impact it was really hard my wife almost flew off the bike.
later I noticed the bike is lower then it used to be but I'm not sure,
I'm 27 inseam and I can flat foot when I stop.
Its possible something broke? May be! But the bike suspension feel good I can increase and decrease the preload and feel the difference.
Yesterday I took Ride like a pro course and few guys had a goldwing, I asked one of them to seat on my bike and he founded low compared to his 2007, he also was telling me that when he adjust the preload his bike height increases, mine doesn't. best of my knowledge when we adjust the preload height should remain the same, "I'm wrong?
the bike is a 2010 air bag model, what could broke, if I go over a bump I can fell the rear end going up and down I know the best way is to remove the saddle bag and check it but I am in Florida now I have to wait till march when I go back to Canada.
Thanks in advance for your input.
P.S. sorry if you find some mistakes but English is not my first language , self taught.

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Re: gl1800 height

Postby MikeB » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:59 pm

If you are not in a place where you cannot take it apart enough to inspect things, take it to a motorcycle mechanic to have them take a look. I would be concerned that the frame is compromised.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:48 pm

You may have popped the oil line off and drained some oil out of your rear shock preload system. The preload should raise or lower the rear of the bike when you use it.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

huggiebear

Postby huggiebear » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:11 pm

Thanks for the fast reply,
After I wrote the post I went to the bike and try the preload on bare feet and yes I can feel the bike going up and down but not much dough, maybe 1" or 2" is that right? I read some where one lady could not be flat foot on a 2006 but she could on a 2010. May be its my imagination when I say feels too low, this after noon I went to Anna Maria Island and we were 2 up , I put the preload to max and I could feel every little bump on the road.
I forgot to mention I reframed this bike, the frame its a 2014, I doubt the new frame are a bit lower than the previous one like 06 or 07? just guessing.

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:46 pm

Yeah, that was kinda a big forgot... I do not know if the 2014 frame gives a lower seating height than the 2006 did. If you reframed this bike, then you have had every piece off of it and the motor out. That was kinda a lot to forget. So, now, I have no idea what could be the problem, if there even is one. From my experience with GL1800 bikes, a person with a 27" inseam should not be able to flat foot it. That is unless there was more you forgot, like lowered front end and the lowering kit on the rear, and maybe a reconstructed seat.

ImageImage

huggiebear

Postby huggiebear » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:26 am

Viking
The job was done by mother Honda not me! I was going to do it but I had a second thought if one day I want to sell it I want to make sure the job was done right.
Maybe the best way is to remove the side bags and look at the frame .

The seat it's a stock bought it from Honda which I have a problem with the passenger heater, but this is another topic.

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:36 am

I have no clue why Honda would change the frame on a 2010 bike to a 2014 frame, but it does not really matter why. If I owned the bike, I would return it to Honda with a list of what I thought was not right, and let them take care of it. I would start by telling them what you told us - that you hit a bump and now have 3 inches less clearance. This would seriously degrade the cornering ability of a GL1800. I scrape pegs with my preload all the way up and only one up on the bike. I could not function with a bike with no clearance. Might as well be a trike.

ImageImage

huggiebear

Postby huggiebear » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:52 am

I have to find out if I can take the bike to Honda USA or have to go back to Canada.
When I've said its a 2014 frame I should have specified I bought it 2014 and not necessarily is a for a 2014 motorcycle.
Thanks for the good advice.

huggiebear

Postby huggiebear » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:39 am

Yesterday I looked under the bike if I could see anything broke, what I noticed on top of the final drive clean oil, looks like its coming from the top, not enough to drip or make a stain on the floor, if the oil was leaking from the drive it will be black but its clean oil, so I have a feeling Viking nailed the problem when he said I might pop a hose .
You guys think I'm right when I say if the oil was black then its the final drive and not the preload?
thanks

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:58 am

Check for private message. info on mechanic.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:42 am

huggiebear wrote:You guys think I'm right when I say if the oil was black then its the final drive and not the preload?
thanks

I would be of the same opinion, that the oil from the final drive would at least be darker, but it is not necessarily black. I do not know what Honda might have in there, as I have never opened one up. It should be a Hypoid gear oil tho, so if you wipe it with your finger and smell it, oil will just smell like oil and if it is from the final drive it will have a rank smell. Hypoid smell is very distinctive. However, if the oil is above the final drive, I would suspect it is hydraulic oil from the preload system. Oil does not normally leak upwards.

ImageImage

PastoT
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (107k)

Postby PastoT » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:54 pm

I have an 02 and should be the same frame as yours. I can't imagine someone flat footing with a 27" inseam, the seat width does limit that in addition to ones inseam. The rear preload (even if the reservoir is topped off) only raises the saddle maybe an inch or inch and a half. If preload is too high the rear end rides harder. So yes, preload does lift the bike slightly and you'll feel the road more. My thought is your fork seals and front brakes. I hit an abrupt black top edge in a construction area and blew my fork seals and dripped fork oil all over. I had fluid in my brakes, fender, lower cowling and all under the bike. My fork oil was actually pretty clean so it took a day to discover the damage. As my fork springs were older and sagging a bit the front of my bike started riding much lower than I was used to; that would lower the saddle also. So don't over look the front suspension and certainly look for contaminated brakes - mine certainly were less effective and major cleaning was required as well as new fork seals, oil and springs.
Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 108k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"

huggiebear

Postby huggiebear » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:41 am

Pasto T!
Thanks for your input, the front is fine, feels like the rear get lower more when 2 up.
Yesterday I took effect it to a mechanic to replace the rear tiere and I asked if he found anything wrong I the night after he road tested, he said there was nothing wrong with the bike.
Also I had some pictures of the motorcycle prior to the pot hole incident and compared to what it is now and I don' see any difference, I know the difference is not much if there is a difference and hard to see by eye, I also checked the preload spring I case it was broken but it's fine.
Someone told me there is a a Honda dealer in Sarasota I will go there to com pair to others bike.
Once a again thanks
Aldo

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:21 am

huggiebear wrote:Yesterday I took effect it to a mechanic to replace the rear tiere and I asked if he found anything wrong I the night after he road tested, he said there was nothing wrong with the bike.

Did you think to tell the mechanic of your concerns and what you suspected may be wrong with the frame and or rear suspension so they could at least make an inspection of the underside of the bike?

MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”