handle bars weights

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
leein
Motorcycle: "2011 Honda Goldwing GL1800"

handle bars weights

Postby leein » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:24 am

New to the wing family and still exploring , like what are the weights on the end of the handle bars for and are they really necessary , the reason I ask living in Ga. I was going to try some hand covers and they fit well without the weights , but if they are needed and I need to re-install them I would need to modify the hole on the covers just a little , or leave them off until warm weather comes back around.

I like riding all year long , rain, cold, warm or hot weather , but when it gets below 20 degrees going around 80 or 85mph the old fingers still remind me that they are there, if you know what I mean, lol...

Would someone have a good answer for this dilemma.......Thanks.

By the way this is 2011 GL1800 Comfort , one owner (me) only 22,000 miles , I know low milage,,have to work still, lol

g2loq
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800

Re: handle bars weights

Postby g2loq » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:16 pm

Hello,

The leverage effect of these 100gr weights at each end of the handle bar, is quite significant for preventing vibrations

On the SC47 / SC68 please also consider that should the bike fall down, they shall be the first (from the upper part of the bike) to hit the ground; If not, it shall be the mirrors...

Cheers,

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:24 pm

They are there to add mass to the steering system (at a considerable distance from the steering pivot, multiplying static mass) in order to help prevent shimmy. The idea is to lower the resonant frequency of the steering system below what would be normally induced when the wheel is displaced while riding at various speeds. Removing those weights raises the resonant frequency due to the fact that mass is removed, which means the steering system is far more susceptible to shimmy - or a "tank slapper."

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:05 am

WingAdmin wrote:They are there to add mass to the steering system (at a considerable distance from the steering pivot, multiplying static mass) in order to help prevent shimmy. The idea is to lower the resonant frequency of the steering system below what would be normally induced when the wheel is displaced while riding at various speeds. Removing those weights raises the resonant frequency due to the fact that mass is removed, which means the steering system is far more susceptible to shimmy - or a "tank slapper."

All this and more, however, previous models of GL1800 did not come with the weights. My 2009, for instance, did not. I bought it brand new, and the first time I saw it, it was still in a crate. No weights at the end of the grips. I had not noticed nor even thought of this before, but that is how it was. I put heavier Kuryakyn grips "over" the original rubber, to fit my hands, so maybe that is why I have had no shimmy. I did ride it for over a year before I did that tho, through two sets of tires. So, perhaps on a GL1800 they are moot.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

eklimek
Motorcycle: 81 GL1100 (Widowmaker not in service), 83GL1100, CB350f x 6, CB400f x2, CB550f sold, CL350 (seized engine), plus enough donors to take me through retirement.

Postby eklimek » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:22 pm

In addition to adding mass to the steering column it affects the perception of vibration in the grip. In other bikes this is a much more significant issue. Think paint shaker and imagine how a resonant frequency in the bar will become an irritant. Many other dedicated bike fora, such as the bmw s1000xr for example, have lengthy handle bar vibration reduction threads. There are numerous after market products designed to reduce this. That this site has no equivalent thread complaint is noteworthy.

joeincalif
Motorcycle: 1997 Gold Wing SE

Postby joeincalif » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:21 pm

My 2009, for instance, did not.
then the dealer left them off. All 1800's come with the bar end weights. Just about every after market grip does not allow for them. I have never noticed a difference with or without them and you probably will not either.

WEIGHT, HANDLEBAR
53105-MK4-620

IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”