Seat options for taller guys??

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Rick's Ride
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800 Titanium Gold Wing
1996 Royal Star Tour Classic

Seat options for taller guys??

Postby Rick's Ride » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:13 pm

Hello! I'm looking forward to getting some great feedback from other Wing Riders. I have a 2006 GL-1800 in Titanium and I love this damn bike! I rode my buddy's wing back in 1979 and it took me until 2 years ago before I could afford my own, and I wish I would have taken the plunge years ago.

Anyway, my issue is that I'm a bigger fella (6'3", 275 lbs) and I find that I don't have enough leg room, in that my knees seem to be too much above my hip level and I'm finding it harder to quickly move my feet around for shifting and braking. I've resorted to using a pillow to lift my butt a bit and this helps, but I wondered what other options others have tried with some success. I live in Alberta and I'm not sure who is available for custom seats and I hesitate to order online. I prefer to go to a custom seat if available rather than using pads, but if pads are what I have to use, then I will.

I do have highway pegs that help with comfort on longer trips, but around town when I am forced to do lots of braking and shifting I find it cumbersome, especially when riding in colder weather. I'm getting up in years now and arthritis is popping up in just about everything and I need to do whatever I can to avoid having to stop riding so I appreciate any suggestions that you guys/gals can provide.

Thanks in advance!

nsjoe
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800A

Re: Seat options for taller guys??

Postby nsjoe » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:02 am

Hi Rick. Wing Admin sent me an email suggesting that I might be able to answer your question, and as usual, he is correct. I have a 2002 GL1800A, and I am 6'10" tall. I have tackled this very issue, and I believe I have made my bike very well suited for someone of my size. I previously modified the stock seat of my 1986 GL1200I, raising the platform and adding different foams. It worked, but with the stock seatpan you can only go so far. With the 1800, I went aftermarket. There are several companies that specialize in exactly what you want. Most aren't cheap. Here is a list of options that I looked at. I have heard good things about most, but I have no experience with any of these:

http://www.meancitycycles.com/
http://www.diymotorcycleseat.com/index.php
http://www.mustangseats.com/custom
http://corbin.com/california.shtml
http://www.saddlemen.com/harley-davidson
https://www.ultimateseats.ca/

I ended up buying a seat off ebay during the winter. The seat is made by Hartco, and was a custom made seat that was ordered and never picked up. It was made for someone over 6'6" tall, and the seating area was moved 2" up and 3" back. This is accomplished by using a new, custom seatpan, and reducing the thickness of the passenger backrest to allow moving the seating area back. Here is their site:

http://www.hartcoseats.com/HomePage.html

Now, I have to warn you, they are pricey. My seat has built in heaters, and retails for $1800 plus. I paid about a third of that. They are cheaper without the heaters. Hartco will make a seat to your dimensions....height/weight/bike. Hartco sells on ebay under the name porkydogg. You can see several of their listings below, but if you search for that seller, you should see them all. You might find one to fit your size, or you might need to have them custom make one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-GL1800-Go ... 6N&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-GL1800-Go ... Sx&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-2016-Honda ... bW&vxp=mtr

One more note: After I replaced the seat, I also added bar risers and a taller windshield to make the package complete.

Good luck,

Joe
Joe
Darksider #493

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:08 pm

Strongly suggest you look at and contact the folks at Ultimate Seats at: https://www.ultimateseats.ca/

I suspect their King is what you need and they even have a phone number for Canadians: 800-818-6868

My wife has the opposite problem and rides a VTX. We got her the seat they offer for that bike for short folks and it works great for her. I am a fan of them.

You might also contact Russell Day Long Seats at: http://www.day-long.com/

Neither suggestion is cheap, in fact both lean toward the more expensive side of what is available but their products do work.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD, 2008 GL1800

Postby Rednaxs60 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:33 pm

Rick - had the same issues as you on my '08 GW. My riding position was such that I was getting "pinched" between the shoulder blades which was a nuisance, and my knees were less than an inch from the fairing. I had my seat adjusted for me at Rich's Custom Seats in Kingston WA that is just across the water from Victoria. He moved me back and up 2 inches, a major difference. No more pinching between the shoulder blades, actually went away immediately after the seat mod was done.

I have seen advertised in the Wing magazine that Corbin has a seat that does exactly this, back and up 2 inches. Having your seat adjusted/changed for you will make a difference in your riding pleasure. I did not have to change the bars, or install a different windshield, but did think about a taller windshield.

I think having the seat adjusted for you and/or your partner is one of the best mods you can do on your bike, next to a suspension upgrade that I did as well.

Cheers

Ernest
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

Rick's Ride

Postby Rick's Ride » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:55 pm

Hey, thanks for all the replies today guys! I had sent off a request for info on the Ultimate King seat and they replied to me yesterday morning and we've been exchanging some e-mails. It sounds like a viable option and it also sounds like their return policy takes the risk out of trying their seat. And it helps that they do have a Canadian outlet that ships out of Toronto. I'm likely going to give them a call early this week for pricing.

I thought it would be a bigger job to replace the seat but I googled it and it looks pretty simple so this is something I can do myself without spending a bundle on labour costs, which makes it easier to spend a little more on the actual product.

Thanks again for suggestions, I will look into some of the other links as well.

Ride safe! :)

Solidbob
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 w/ 2012 Roadsmith Trike Kit

Postby Solidbob » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:45 pm

Rick,
As all these seats suggested get up there in price pretty fast, why not have your just rebuilt the way you want it for about the same money. That's what I did as the seat on my trike was a stock GL1800 seat that I had Tom Simmons http://www.tscustomseats.com/gpage.html Custom build mine three times now.... He does and excellent job, first class..... call him up and talk it over with him and he'll tell you what you need to send him / 6' 3" sounds like you need to move back and up and he can also move the passenger the same to match.... If you get a trike later in life but want to keep the seat he'll make it wider. He can add a backrest or a removable one..... just look his website over... lots of colors to choose from as I tryed to keep mine lighter to avoid the hot summer butt... Call him and you may need to leave name and number as this is getting to be his time of year.... spring is coming!!!

Email for Seat Images... solidbob@hughes.net

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Postby Wingsconsin » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:30 pm

http://diamondseats.com/

I have 3 seats built by Diamond and loved them all.
I am sending them a seat pan tomorrow to build a new seat for me on my restoration project (1983 Suzuki GS850)
These seats are not cheap -- but they work...
Last year I got a new seat for my GL1800 - I put it on the bike and went for a ride of close to 3500 miles.
Then later in the year I did a ride of 6500 miles...
Nearly 10K miles on the seat now and never once did I have any discomfort -- and many of those days were in excess of 600 miles.
Worth a phone call ...
Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

Solidbob
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 w/ 2012 Roadsmith Trike Kit

Postby Solidbob » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:36 am

Rick,

Here's a closer look at my seat....
Attachments
2003 Goldwing / Roadsmith Trike Seat
2003 Goldwing / Roadsmith Trike Seat

Rick's Ride

Postby Rick's Ride » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:33 am

Solidbob wrote:Rick,

Here's a closer look at my seat....

Gorgeous looking seat, Solidbob!! Looks super comfortable as well.

Thanks for your suggestions as well Wingsconsin.

I couldn't find an upholstery shop near where I live that was willing to tackle the Wing seat, so I've pretty much decided to give the Ultimate seat a try once it warms up enough that I will be able to install it and ride it for a week to evaluate. Their reputation seems solid and if it doesn't fit the bill for me it sounds hassle free to return it. At least that way I will still have the stock seat to fall back on if it doesn't work out.

Thanks for the replies!
Rick

joeincalif
Motorcycle: 1997 Gold Wing SE

Postby joeincalif » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:55 am

This will give you more leg room also
http://trikeshop.com/news/4192012/
IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE

zeke1883
Motorcycle: 2014 GL1800 Goldwing

Postby zeke1883 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:48 pm

I am kind of surprised Mother Honda doesn't void the warranty on the tranny with that $700 setup where you alter the peg positions. You can't use a heel toe shift arrangement without voiding the warranty I am surprised they don't do the same with this.

I find it hard to believe anyone over about 6' 1 can get comfortable on one of these bikes. I changed to an ultimate seat, got road pegs, got handle bar risers and while it helps tremendously from stock, it is still far from being what I would call "comfortable" to ride. Having your knees bent at the angle you do and having your feet directly under you is just not a comfortable seating position IMHO. I wanted to switch to the footboard heel toe arrangement, but with the warranty issue on the tranny plus the $300 price tag if it doesn't make things better, I haven't made that jump yet. (If you are 6'10 I don't see how in the world you would EVER get comfortable on one of these bikes.

I have had mine now for a little over a year, yeah it is fast and smooth, but I just can't get comfortable on it. 2 hours is about all the longer I seem to be able to ride it without having knee/leg issues. I have decided I just need to get out from under this thing and go back to either a Harley or an Indian... just not having fun on this thing. Never had seating issues on the Harley that I traded for the wing, yeah it was terribly underpowered which was the main reason I let it go. But the tradeoff just has not been what I thought it would be. Trying to use road pegs around that damn fairing and having your feet and legs splayed out to the side doesn't help either. Anyone interested in a candy prominence red 2014 with low (7700) miles?

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Postby Wingsconsin » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:53 pm

A GOOD Custom seat can be built to your specifications.
It can take you back and up if you need more room.
Look into Mick-o-pegs for additional places to put your feet -
They are worlds better than the highway boards/pegs where you wrap you legs around the exit vents from the HOT radiator
Mick-o-pegs allow for your feet to hang DOWN ... one of the next investments for me someday soon... ;)

A picture of my old Diamond Custom Seat on the GL1500
Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

nsjoe

Postby nsjoe » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:15 am

zeke1883 wrote: (If you are 6'10 I don't see how in the world you would EVER get comfortable on one of these bikes.

The world was not made for people over about 6 feet tall. Those of us above that height just deal with it (and bang our heads onto a lot of stuff).
Joe
Darksider #493

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:44 pm

nsjoe wrote:
zeke1883 wrote: (If you are 6'10 I don't see how in the world you would EVER get comfortable on one of these bikes.

The world was not made for people over about 6 feet tall. Those of us above that height just deal with it (and bang our heads onto a lot of stuff).

You should try walking around England, where stone doorways were made for people hundreds of years ago! I have ducked through some over there that were no more than 5'9" tall.

Up&Downer
Motorcycle: 1992 Interstate

Postby Up&Downer » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:06 am

Check out Powersport Seats in Calgary, I have heard good things about her
403-813-2316
If you can't afford the gear you can't afford the bike!

oldwing1100
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade
2004 Gl1800A

Postby oldwing1100 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:33 pm

I am 6' tall but that's not the end of it, my circumference has increased greatly since the 80's and my knees don't like to be doubled up like a jockey.
I took my stock '04 1800 seat to an upholsterer Guy Anthony Design http://www.guyanthony.ca/home-1.html
and had him remove 2" of foam from the back of the drivers seat and add a gel pad.
He did a great job, charged me $300 and you can't tell it's modified unless you have an original to compare.
I also installed Kuryakyn mini boards with comfort drop, allows for a 3/4" drop of peg.
I still look like a bear riding a bicycle but my knees aren't up by my ears anymore. :D

nsjoe

Postby nsjoe » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:54 pm

oldwing1100 wrote:I am 6' tall but that's not the end of it, my circumference has increased greatly since the 80's....

Is that like my forehead keeps getting taller?
Joe
Darksider #493

patzdoc
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800

Postby patzdoc » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:12 pm

I'm 6'2" and have had the same problem with my 2005 1800 Wing. I sent my stock seat to Russell Cycle Products and they did a great job of moving the seat back about 2 inches and up an inch. They use measurements and review your position on bike. Fits perfectly- no more cramps and problems with brake and clutch. Also added leather seat inserts and built in back support. They can also add heat for a little more. Can't comment on long term use as yet but looks and feels like a high quality product. I am looking forward to some comfortable riding. Contact # is (800) 432-9566 for "Day -Long Touring Saddles".

280slbuff
Motorcycle: 2007 Honda Goldwing 1800

Postby 280slbuff » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:01 pm

"Ultimate" custom seats are my answer for comfort. I purchased a rider and passenger seat for my 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner. I still use the Goldwing 1800 stock seats because they provide adequate comfort but would swap them for Ultimates anyday. They make the best IMHO - check out the website. http://ultimateseats.ca/honda-motorcycle-accessories.

treasland
Motorcycle: 2004 gl1800

Postby treasland » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:02 pm

I have installed Comfort Controls from Roadsmith.
CC from their store.
Comfort ControlsTM for Gold Wing motorcycles built from 2001 to 2012. Although nearly unnoticeable when installed, the new controls actually move both foot pegs and the brake and shift levers forward 3 inches and down 1 inch using a collection of machined parts and linkages that bolt on to the bike. The result is one that must be felt to believe, and provides an incredibly improved riding position that will now allow Gold Wing riders to realize the long-distance cruising potential of their machines without the aches and pains of cramped legs and knees.

http://trikeshop.com/shop/product/726/comfort-controls/

Rick's Ride

Re: Seat options for taller guys?? UPDATE!

Postby Rick's Ride » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:25 pm

Rick's Ride wrote:Hey, thanks for all the replies today guys! I had sent off a request for info on the Ultimate King seat and they replied to me yesterday morning and we've been exchanging some e-mails. It sounds like a viable option and it also sounds like their return policy takes the risk out of trying their seat. And it helps that they do have a Canadian outlet that ships out of Toronto. I'm likely going to give them a call early this week for pricing.

I thought it would be a bigger job to replace the seat but I googled it and it looks pretty simple so this is something I can do myself without spending a bundle on labour costs, which makes it easier to spend a little more on the actual product.

Thanks again for suggestions, I will look into some of the other links as well.

Ride safe! :)

Figured since I posted the question and got lots of great feedback that I should let you guys know what I've ended up doing. I ordered the Ultimate King seat and installed it and I'm loving it so far. As far as appearance, it pretty much just looks like the stock seat, but the added few inches really make a difference for my old joints.

Thanks to everyone for providing info on this subject!

Ride safe!

salty1
Motorcycle: 98 GL1500 C, 00 GL1500CF, 06 GL1800 3A

Postby salty1 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:49 pm

Your going to enjoy the Ultimate seat system. Might be a little on the hard side at first but they break into lots of comfort. :D

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:46 pm

Thanks for following up with the result. I hope you have many miles of fun and a comfortable butt!
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

280slbuff
Motorcycle: 2007 Honda Goldwing 1800

Postby 280slbuff » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:44 am

Great to hear the Ultimate seat is keeping you comfortable - most riders want to talk about Mustang and other brands without ever having heard or considering the Ultimate solution. I love this GW forum for that reason - you never know who will come up with a solution to your biking concern. Enjoy and ride safely!

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”