l just changed my oil

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Fred Blind
Motorcycle: 2005 Honda Godlwing 1800

l just changed my oil

Postby Fred Blind » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:26 pm

I just changed the oil on my 2005 Goldwing, put in synthetic blend, does anyone use a straight synthetic?

Also what type of air filter would anyone recommend.

Fred

FlyBoy2121
Motorcycle: Honda GoldWing
Gl 1800 2003

Re: l just changed my oil

Postby FlyBoy2121 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:06 pm

I Fred !!!!

You are in Florida, for your oil full synthetic it better, his verry hot.
Me in Quebec Canada, I puts the Shell Rotella Diésel full synthétic 5 w 40. We have temperatures cold in spring and in autumn, and very warm in summer.

For the air filter, installe original Honda, is good. the best Kn&N his excellent.

For me is the honda original, he is a little bit oily.

FlyBoy2121 :D

gareva1
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 Prem Audio

Postby gareva1 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:06 am

Mobil 1 4T motorcycle synth, amsoil, and honda all sell full synths in the viscosity and JASO ratings that your owner's manual and manufacturer require (10-40 or 10-30, with JASO MA)

The rotella 5-40 is slightly out of spec on the viscosity, and shell has come out openly and said that the T5 5-40 formulation didn't meet JASO MA spec because it had a higher ash content than the spec allows, but the T5 15-40 did meet the JASO MA---I understand that the newer T6 version meets JASO MA in both viscosities...just make sure you dont get an old bottle of T5 if you go to rotella...I've seen it on some shelves at wal-mart even recently. The other rotella viscosity you see on walmart shelves is 15-40, which also falls outside of the spec on the low end, and it is a synth blend---from what I understand, walmart (supertech) makes a full synth that falls within the viscosity spec and doesn't have energy conserving qualities and is safe for wet clutch, but I haven't checked this myself.

Saying that about Rotella 5-40, I know many people who have run it with no problems, but it is worth noting in case you are concerned about compliance with the book specs. All the variable viscosity oils (x-x) mean is at cold temp they are equivalent to the low weight, and at operating higher temps they are equivalent to the upper weight---the 5-40 will be thinner than spec at cold start, then it will work out fine at high temp (not a bad idea in really cold temps, and why diesel trucks use it)---15-40 will be thicker than spec at cold start for what thats worth.

Synth, no synth, it really doesn't matter, just make sure you stay close to the spec and change it at the proper interval....I run synth in mine, but I'm pretty sure I'm wasting my money.

I agree on using the honda filter---the K&N is just more expensive, and has to be serviced (cleaned and oiled) more often, which means you are spending more time pulling that shelter...I have heard of no person who has given verifyable proof that the K&N filter creates any performance gain if you are worried about that.

Fred Blind
Motorcycle: 2005 Honda Godlwing 1800

Postby Fred Blind » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:58 am

I really appreciate all the interaction and information, one more question on oil

Normal oil you change about every 3000 miles, how about synthetic oil how often should it be changed?

thanks Fred

gareva1

Postby gareva1 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:39 am

The gl1800 owner's manual and service schedule calls for oil changes at 8,000 mile intervals; you can change it more often if you wish (I do), but it doesn't require that---amsoil claims you can run up to 16,000 mile intervals with their full synth, but I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that. I know we supposedly can't feel a difference from fresh oil and used oil, but call it superstition, I feel like when I'm more than about 5,000 miles into an oil, shifts aren't as smooth as they are with fresh oil. I typically don't let it go more than 5000 miles, but I like knowing that if I am in the middle of a trip I don't have to run to the store to buy oil and a filter if I do go over that before 8000. In my own practices, that's with any oil, full-synth, blend, or dino oil.

As easy as it is to change, I don't fret or worry about it, I just do it when I feel like it. If your bike feels fine up to 8000 miles, go ahead and wait the interval...some people I know don't ride that much in a year, so they just change it once a year, right before they get ready for the riding season.

gareva1

Postby gareva1 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:40 am

By the way, amsoil's claim also involves using their branded oil filter for what it's worth...

chrisgl1800
Motorcycle: 2009 gl1800

Postby chrisgl1800 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:28 am

To get your Amsoil, look at http://www.lubedealer.com/crawford, join as a "preferred Member", and you can get it at dealer pricing! Great oil!

chrisgl1800
Previous rides: 2004 HD Softail; 2006 HD Streetglide; 2009 GL1800
Authorized Amsoil Dealer
Patriot Guard Rider
http://www.lubedealer.com/crawford

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”