GL1800 cruise control problem

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
mclaring
Motorcycle: GL1800 2004

GL1800 cruise control problem

Postby mclaring » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:34 pm

Greetings from Australia,

A few weeks ago my cruise control became intermittent when I applied the "set/ resume' switch (flickering green message light on dash). Now it won't engage at all.

I have checked the three cruise control switches on the RH handlebar (fine) and the three micro switches check out fine as well (both brakes and throttle). I pulled the bike apart and went through the service manual check list and can't find anything else wrong.

I think the clue must lie behind the intermittent phase and then a total cut-out but I can't find it. Anyone with any ideas?

MC

PastoT
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (107k)

Re: GL1800 cruise control problem

Postby PastoT » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:32 pm

Just a reminder, the micro switches on the brakes and clutch levers may function fine but if the lever bushings are worn the levers won't depress the switches. If you haven't tried yet, push the levers forward and see if the cruise sets and holds. Clutch lever is most likely culprit, it wears faster. There are mail order lever bushing replacements available for your levers. I've also had the wires pull loose from the switches and needed to be pushed back in place.
Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 108k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"

bob-c
Motorcycle: 2007 GL 1800

Postby bob-c » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:38 pm

Similar Problem: Slowly pull in the brake lever. Very closely listen for two distinct clicks as both microswitches activate. If only one click, change the switch. They're only $20. The second click can be difficult to hear and may be intermittent. The foot pedal has the same switch. Listen for it too. The switches are two within the same housing but perform separate functions, brake light and cruise dis-engage. The clutch switch is a single and may not even be on-line.
I don't know of anyone who has found the problem using the Honda 54 step troubleshooting guide.
Good luck.

Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Postby Big Blue UK » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:37 pm

RVS relays are ok then,
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

bob-c
Motorcycle: 2007 GL 1800

Postby bob-c » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:02 am

Not the RVS relays...the double microswitches themselves at the levers and pedal.

Big Blue UK

Postby Big Blue UK » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:48 am

bob-c wrote:Not the RVS relays...the double microswitches themselves at the levers and pedal.

Pay no attention, I was helping someone with RVS trouble and got my wires crossed. Wondered why I was asked what cruise control has to do with RVS :D

Big Blue UK

Postby Big Blue UK » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:27 am

The cruise actuator is sort of cared for by the module. If the cruise actuator has a fault or problem when the cruise is set, the system goes into fail safe mode, and the set indicator blinks. It is my guess the cruise actuator is the probem.
Did you ever get a lag between the time you pushed the set button, an the cruise actually took control of the speed.

Well this is what I told the other guy to do to fix his RVS problem, and I got asked if I had stopped taking any medication :D

mclaring
Motorcycle: GL1800 2004

Postby mclaring » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:15 pm

Hey guys,

I really appreciate all this advice. Like the comment about the Honda 54 step troubleshooting guide. I went right through it and found, for a start, that my plug for the RH switches is wired differently to the manual. Other than that, everything checks out. I did not realize that the brake microswitch should have two clicks. Mine only has one so I will replace that and see what I can do. I much value your ongoing opinions, and will report and outcome - if I can fix it,

An Aussie a long way away,

MC

Big Blue UK

Postby Big Blue UK » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:12 pm

The brake lever operates two micro switches, one for the brake light, one for the cruise cancel. You should hear two clicks when you SLOWLY pull on the lever, and two as you release it. Do not rush out to buy a new switch before you have investigated, it may be the brake light switch you cannot hear, was you looking at the brake light with the ignition on when you performed the check. The rear brake pedal switches work the same way, so perform the same check on the brake pedal. I have known the handlebar harness to be pulling on the micro switch spade connectors stopping the micro switch from clicking open. A micro switch fault can prevent the cruise from setting, but it cannot not cause the set indicator to flash. This signal comes from the module to report a fault when the cruise is set. If a faulty cancel switch prevents the cruise from setting, then the module would not be able to flash telling you there is a fault, because the cruise has to be set for it to flash.

Well that makes sense to me.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”