Has anyone changes to LED Bulbs on Factory Lights?


Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
User avatar
Tepcro
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:56 pm
Location: White Mountains AZ.
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1800

Has anyone changes to LED Bulbs on Factory Lights?

Post by Tepcro » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:55 pm



My Question is: Has anyone changes to LED Bulbs on their Honda Factory Lights?.
I have a 2001 GL1800, can you recommend where to buy those bulbs at a decent price online?
I also recently acquired an 88 aspencade trailer and am going to change out the bulbs on it too.



User avatar
MikeB
Posts: 1882
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:54 pm
Location: Tacoma, WA
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Re: Has anyone changes to LED Bulbs on Factory Lights?

Post by MikeB » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:14 am

I recommend this site for all things LED: http://www.superbrightleds.com
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

User avatar
Ghostman
Posts: 283
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:52 am
Location: Midwest
Motorcycle: gl1800

Re: Has anyone changes to LED Bulbs on Factory Lights?

Post by Ghostman » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:57 am

One of the things youll also have to do if youre doing turn signals also is that youre going to have to get a electronic flasher. LEDs dont pull as much of a load as regular bulbs. So when you put an LED in it flashes a lot faster than a stock bulb. On mine I just replaced the brake light/running light bulbs with LEDs. I didnt feel light digging in the front fairing under the windshield to replace the flashing unit.

User avatar
Tepcro
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:56 pm
Location: White Mountains AZ.
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1800

Re: Has anyone changes to LED Bulbs on Factory Lights?

Post by Tepcro » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:00 pm

Thank You to MikeB and Ghostman
The link for bulbs is great and the advise on turn signals is invaluable!!!

User avatar
PastoT
Posts: 371
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:20 pm
Location: Mt Home, Idaho
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (107k)

Re: Has anyone changes to LED Bulbs on Factory Lights?

Post by PastoT » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:40 pm

LED with ballasts ok for turn signals, brake and running lights but not for our head lights or stock running lights. I've tried 3 different LED designs in the headlights and they won't focus and are unusable and night. They maybe bright but you run blind. Our headlight and fog light reflectors are designed around use of a filament type bulb. Some will opt for the HID if they upgrade the headlights, I just use Sylvania Silver Stars and make sure I wipe the bugs off the lenses once a year or so! LOL
Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 108k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"
Image

Flyn Tiger
Posts: 145
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:12 pm
Location: Monroe, Louisiana
Motorcycle: Black 2002 GL1800 w/ABS

Re: Has anyone changes to LED Bulbs on Factory Lights?

Post by Flyn Tiger » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:59 am

I was using the blue type bulbs and was really happy with the light but was switching to LEDs. I have done the low beams and I honestly think the blues are brignter at night and yes it seems I am am running blind even though the LED's look brighter. That would explain what I was thinking.

My other problem is I just blew a high beam bulb last nignt. I had a left over bulb from the lowers and worked last night and about 30 mins so far this am on replacing it. Come apart easily but I cannot get the retaining wire to latch to hold the bulb in place. Cannot for the life of me figure out why that wire wont latch. Take the bulb out and it latches fine. Put it in and there is only one way for it to go in, and it will not latch. About to make me lose my religion! Lol

Any suggestions?

User avatar
PastoT
Posts: 371
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:20 pm
Location: Mt Home, Idaho
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (107k)

Re: Has anyone changes to LED Bulbs on Factory Lights?

Post by PastoT » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:39 am

I hate the springy wires that hold our bulbs in place. Once you latch one just right, its easy, but how is forgotten in 45 seconds! I too hoped LED bulbs would last longer than the filament based, but I agree you're riding blind because they won't focus. Still if one is mounting lower fog lights they are available with an LED based source and their reflectors are designed to work with LED bulbs, so you can get higher lumens and longer life for less current draw.
Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 108k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"
Image

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 18226
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Has anyone changes to LED Bulbs on Factory Lights?

Post by WingAdmin » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:02 pm

PastoT wrote:LED with ballasts ok for turn signals, brake and running lights but not for our head lights or stock running lights. I've tried 3 different LED designs in the headlights and they won't focus and are unusable and night. They maybe bright but you run blind. Our headlight and fog light reflectors are designed around use of a filament type bulb. Some will opt for the HID if they upgrade the headlights, I just use Sylvania Silver Stars and make sure I wipe the bugs off the lenses once a year or so! LOL
LED's don't need ballasts...for high powered LEDs they have internal regulators/drivers, but only HIDs and fluorescent bulbs (i.e. bulbs that generate light by sending high voltage electricity through a gas) require ballasts.

That said...there has not been a decent aftermarket LED headlight system for the GL1800 that both focuses well, and puts out at least as much light as the OEM halogen bulbs.

However...I have seen a demonstration of a new product - replacement LED headlight bulbs for the GL1800, that both focuses perfectly, and puts out far more light than stock. I've been asked to not say more about it until it is available, but expect to see it on the market soon - i.e. if you're thinking of upgrading, you might want to hold off.

Flyn Tiger
Posts: 145
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:12 pm
Location: Monroe, Louisiana
Motorcycle: Black 2002 GL1800 w/ABS

Re: Has anyone changes to LED Bulbs on Factory Lights?

Post by Flyn Tiger » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:45 pm

So are you saying that the LED's I just bought are not as good as the ones I just took off? Granted they look brignter but my low beams that I just replaced seem to be dimmer......I just dont see as well with them. Let me put it this way, would you put them on your bike?

Thanks,
Flyn Tiger

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 18226
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Has anyone changes to LED Bulbs on Factory Lights?

Post by WingAdmin » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:42 am

Flyn Tiger wrote:So are you saying that the LED's I just bought are not as good as the ones I just took off? Granted they look brignter but my low beams that I just replaced seem to be dimmer......I just dont see as well with them. Let me put it this way, would you put them on your bike?

Thanks,
Flyn Tiger
The new ones I have seen demonstrated, I would definitely put on my bike. They are the first aftermarket LED headlights I would consider putting on my bike, as all the ones up until now I have seen are lacking in terms of light output and beam spread.

User avatar
MikeB
Posts: 1882
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:54 pm
Location: Tacoma, WA
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Re: Has anyone changes to LED Bulbs on Factory Lights?

Post by MikeB » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:53 am

MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 18226
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Has anyone changes to LED Bulbs on Factory Lights?

Post by WingAdmin » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:41 am

No, those are not them.

Flyn Tiger
Posts: 145
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:12 pm
Location: Monroe, Louisiana
Motorcycle: Black 2002 GL1800 w/ABS

Re: Has anyone changes to LED Bulbs on Factory Lights?

Post by Flyn Tiger » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:32 pm

Seriously considering changing mine back to my old bulb. The leds are on the low beam right now and I really dont like them.

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 18226
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Has anyone changes to LED Bulbs on Factory Lights?

Post by WingAdmin » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:46 am

I asked this morning, and the new LED GL1800 headlight product that I saw demonstrated are expected to be released in mid April, at which time I can say more about them.

They are apparently creating an H4 version of it as well for the GL1500, and if it works anywhere near as well as the H7 version I saw demonstrated, I might seriously consider putting them on my bike.

User avatar
MikeB
Posts: 1882
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:54 pm
Location: Tacoma, WA
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Re: Has anyone changes to LED Bulbs on Factory Lights?

Post by MikeB » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:52 pm

WingAdmin wrote:I asked this morning, and the new LED GL1800 headlight product that I saw demonstrated are expected to be released in mid April, at which time I can say more about them.

They are apparently creating an H4 version of it as well for the GL1500, and if it works anywhere near as well as the H7 version I saw demonstrated, I might seriously consider putting them on my bike.
Anxiously awaiting the debut.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

Flyn Tiger
Posts: 145
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:12 pm
Location: Monroe, Louisiana
Motorcycle: Black 2002 GL1800 w/ABS

Re: Has anyone changes to LED Bulbs on Factory Lights?

Post by Flyn Tiger » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:30 pm

Can you speculate a price on these, warranty?

Fee34610
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:04 pm
Location: Fort Worth, Tx
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800

Re: Has anyone changes to LED Bulbs on Factory Lights?

Post by Fee34610 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:56 pm

Yes -changed my low beam and high beam lights to LED. They are super bright white and they are awesome. Got them from SOCALMOTOGEAR for $300 total. Some installation issues ... my hands and arms scraped and bruised and took about 3 hrs to do it. Thank goodness my wife had small hands to help with the installation!
Attachments



User avatar
dragon2000
Posts: 192
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:30 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada
Motorcycle: 2009 Gold Wing
2000 Honda Valkyrie

Re: Has anyone changes to LED Bulbs on Factory Lights?

Post by dragon2000 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:52 pm

I too just changed the Headlights & all the LED Bulbs (running/turn signals front & rear, flasher unit) and admit it is not cheap.

The thread below on Head Light Bulbs along with info on the SOCALGEAR website which also sells LED Bulbs convinced me to convert. While my main goal was to gain more light (noticeable difference) the conversion also reduced the power draw on the electrical system.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=32942&start=50

http://www.socalmotogear.com/category-s/65.htm

http://www.socalmotogear.com/GL1800-REA ... g18rpk.htm

These are also available thru Cycle Max: http://cyclemax.com/gl1800
Steve

Dragon2000

Remember - You Meet the Nicest People Riding a Honda!

Image

Ontario, Canada

Franchise2k
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:01 am
Location: phoenix. az
Motorcycle: 1976 Goldwing Cafe Bike

Re: Has anyone changes to LED Bulbs on Factory Lights?

Post by Franchise2k » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:20 am

Ghostman wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:57 am
One of the things youll also have to do if youre doing turn signals also is that youre going to have to get a electronic flasher. LEDs dont pull as much of a load as regular bulbs. So when you put an LED in it flashes a lot faster than a stock bulb. On mine I just replaced the brake light/running light bulbs with LEDs. I didnt feel light digging in the front fairing under the windshield to replace the flashing unit.
Just an FYI on your comment about getting to your flasher. LED lights have a lower resistance. That has nothing to do with flasher. You have to put a resistor in the taillight circuit. Leave the flasher alone. You can buy premade resistor. I made my own.

User avatar
wingpilot08
Posts: 529
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:43 pm
Location: Coatesville, PA
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800-HPNA - 27,000+ miles
1988 Bunkhouse camping trailer
Darkside #1720
bikes owned:
1975 CB550-4 final mileage unknown
1982 Yamaha 650 Maximum 30,000 miles
1987 Yamaha XVZ-1300 Venture 109,000 miles
1996 Honda GL1500-SE 210,000 miles

Re: Has anyone changes to LED Bulbs on Factory Lights?

Post by wingpilot08 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:24 pm

On another Goldwing site, one of the members posted changing the radio light with LED and then also change out all the handlebar control lights with LEDs. BIG change in how the it all looks. Wing Admin, if you do't prefer to have other sites linked..I will delete this post.

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/5-gl1800 ... grade.html
08' GL1800-HPNA - Red 32,000+ miles
1988 Bunkhouse Trailer/Camper
Darkside #1720
bikes owned:
1975 CB550-4 final mileage unknown
1982 Yamaha 650 Maximum 30,000 miles
1987 Yamaha XVZ-1300 Venture 109,000 miles
1996 Honda GL1500-SE 210,000 miles

User avatar
dragon2000
Posts: 192
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:30 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada
Motorcycle: 2009 Gold Wing
2000 Honda Valkyrie

Re: Has anyone changes to LED Bulbs on Factory Lights?

Post by dragon2000 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:14 pm

Wing Pilot08: I love the idea of changing the main console lights to the LED's available from Superbright shown at the link. From the picture there definitely is a difference in brightness. Agree with the comments regarding changing to RED maybe the better option.

Am curious, has anyone here changed their bulbs to RED and will these Bulbs also replace/fit those in the Handlebar Controls?

Thanks,

Steve
Steve

Dragon2000

Remember - You Meet the Nicest People Riding a Honda!

Image

Ontario, Canada

User avatar
wingpilot08
Posts: 529
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:43 pm
Location: Coatesville, PA
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800-HPNA - 27,000+ miles
1988 Bunkhouse camping trailer
Darkside #1720
bikes owned:
1975 CB550-4 final mileage unknown
1982 Yamaha 650 Maximum 30,000 miles
1987 Yamaha XVZ-1300 Venture 109,000 miles
1996 Honda GL1500-SE 210,000 miles

Re: Has anyone changes to LED Bulbs on Factory Lights?

Post by wingpilot08 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:59 am

dragon2000 wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:14 pm
Wing Pilot08: I love the idea of changing the main console lights to the LED's available from Superbright shown at the link. From the picture there definitely is a difference in brightness. Agree with the comments regarding changing to RED maybe the better option.

Am curious, has anyone here changed their bulbs to RED and will these Bulbs also replace/fit those in the Handlebar Controls?

Thanks,

Steve
I believe that the handlebar control LED are individual component 3mm LED with resistors. Not the easily plug and play.
08' GL1800-HPNA - Red 32,000+ miles
1988 Bunkhouse Trailer/Camper
Darkside #1720
bikes owned:
1975 CB550-4 final mileage unknown
1982 Yamaha 650 Maximum 30,000 miles
1987 Yamaha XVZ-1300 Venture 109,000 miles
1996 Honda GL1500-SE 210,000 miles

User avatar
Ghostman
Posts: 283
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:52 am
Location: Midwest
Motorcycle: gl1800

Re: Has anyone changes to LED Bulbs on Factory Lights?

Post by Ghostman » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:09 am

Franchise2k wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:20 am
Ghostman wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:57 am
One of the things youll also have to do if youre doing turn signals also is that youre going to have to get a electronic flasher. LEDs dont pull as much of a load as regular bulbs. So when you put an LED in it flashes a lot faster than a stock bulb. On mine I just replaced the brake light/running light bulbs with LEDs. I didnt feel light digging in the front fairing under the windshield to replace the flashing unit.
Just an FYI on your comment about getting to your flasher. LED lights have a lower resistance. That has nothing to do with flasher. You have to put a resistor in the taillight circuit. Leave the flasher alone. You can buy premade resistor. I made my own.
By putting a resistor in the system your negating the savings of voltage using LEDs. I have EC LED foglights,HID headlights ,LED upper trunk brake and running lights. When I park the bike and put it on the battery tender after a ride,by the time I clean the windshield and put the lock on the wheel the tender shows a green light. My idea is to use the lights so I put less strain on the alternator. I also run about 6 or 7 sets of LED running lights at night to be seen.

User avatar
wingpilot08
Posts: 529
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:43 pm
Location: Coatesville, PA
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800-HPNA - 27,000+ miles
1988 Bunkhouse camping trailer
Darkside #1720
bikes owned:
1975 CB550-4 final mileage unknown
1982 Yamaha 650 Maximum 30,000 miles
1987 Yamaha XVZ-1300 Venture 109,000 miles
1996 Honda GL1500-SE 210,000 miles

Re: Has anyone changes to LED Bulbs on Factory Lights?

Post by wingpilot08 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:39 pm

Ghostman wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:09 am
Franchise2k wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:20 am
Ghostman wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:57 am
One of the things youll also have to do if youre doing turn signals also is that youre going to have to get a electronic flasher. LEDs dont pull as much of a load as regular bulbs. So when you put an LED in it flashes a lot faster than a stock bulb. On mine I just replaced the brake light/running light bulbs with LEDs. I didnt feel light digging in the front fairing under the windshield to replace the flashing unit.
Just an FYI on your comment about getting to your flasher. LED lights have a lower resistance. That has nothing to do with flasher. You have to put a resistor in the taillight circuit. Leave the flasher alone. You can buy premade resistor. I made my own.
By putting a resistor in the system your negating the savings of voltage using LEDs. I have EC LED foglights,HID headlights ,LED upper trunk brake and running lights. When I park the bike and put it on the battery tender after a ride,by the time I clean the windshield and put the lock on the wheel the tender shows a green light. My idea is to use the lights so I put less strain on the alternator. I also run about 6 or 7 sets of LED running lights at night to be seen.
The stock flasher is built to be used with incandescent bulbs that draw a heavier load...therefore it does have something to do with the flasher. Since the LEDs are not drawing the higher load, the flasher thinks that a bulb is burned out and does it fast flash dance. It would be better as Ghostmas says to replace the stock flasher with and LED flasher...the possible problem with adding a resistor is heat that the resistor is going to dissipate, if not properly located..it could potentially melt things..
08' GL1800-HPNA - Red 32,000+ miles
1988 Bunkhouse Trailer/Camper
Darkside #1720
bikes owned:
1975 CB550-4 final mileage unknown
1982 Yamaha 650 Maximum 30,000 miles
1987 Yamaha XVZ-1300 Venture 109,000 miles
1996 Honda GL1500-SE 210,000 miles

User avatar
oilboy1162
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:37 am
Location: Nashua,New Hampshire
Motorcycle: '72 cb750k
500 interceptor (fun!)
600 hurricane(funner!)
'82 gs850g
93 gl1500se(trade,sigh)
2013 gl1800(yeah baby!)

Re: Has anyone changes to LED Bulbs on Factory Lights?

Post by oilboy1162 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:26 pm

did SCA led low beam replace and WW!! what a difference.clean white light across my path. two thumbs up!! :D


:lol: I know people say we spend too much money on our rides, but I can't hear them when I'm 1000 miles away! :roll:

Post Reply