How can I keep my windshield from fogging in the rain?

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Fred Blind
Motorcycle: 2005 Honda Godlwing 1800

How can I keep my windshield from fogging in the rain?

Postby Fred Blind » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:55 pm

I have a 05 wing and live in Florida the problem is when I get caught in a rainstorm my windsheld fogs so bad I cant see through it.
What can I put on it that will keep it from fogging and help the water to bead off of it. On my car I have used Rain X but they dont recommend that it be used on plastic.

Thanks for your input on this.
Fred

gareva1
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 Prem Audio

Re: How can I keep my windshield from fogging in the rain?

Postby gareva1 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:35 pm

There are a few things you can put on it---bugslide, the old honda polish (it's made by another manufacturer now---it's call original bike polish or something like that), I think greased lightning works on plastic...

There's also a polish called plexus that is made for plastic/plexi windshields---my father in law uses it on helicopter windshields, and it seems to work great---I've used it on my wing a few times, and I don't think its any better than the others, but it may be attainable at a wal-mart, where the other polishes are mostly available at bike shops or rallies.

Mooskee
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800 Goldwing

Postby Mooskee » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:36 pm

I use the Honda Spray Cleaner & Polish. The water beads and runs off pretty well. I however prefer to see over the top of my shield, so in the rain I use a full face helmet and look over the shield. I use the polish on my helmet shield also. Actually I use it on everything! I think you could polish your shoes with it. ;-)

Fred Blind

Postby Fred Blind » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:50 pm

Hey thanks everyone who replied, yes I have tried plexus and it still seems to fog. In fact I noticed a slight rainbow hue on the windshield in direct sun light. (How can I get rid of that?)

I also used polish that seems to do a good job. I agree in rain specially heavy it does work better looking over the top of the shield.
Thanks again for the interaction, happy trails!

Fred

augie47au
Motorcycle: 2007 GL1800A

Postby augie47au » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:48 pm

Hi Fred,

I worked as a police office in the snow country of Australia and bus drivers used a bit of blue clinic hair shampoo on a rag. Rub inside of all windows and this prevented fogging. I suppose and shanpoo would do the trick but blue clinic was thin in texture.
I use Mr. Sheen furniture polish in a spray can. Does not fog and water beads very well.
regards Ken (Augie47au)

Fred Blind

Postby Fred Blind » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:06 pm

I wanted to take a moment to thank everyone for their input, windshield is good now.
We are on a 2000 mile treck a little over 800 miles into it and thank God all is well.
Again thank you all this is great!

Fred

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”