HIDS for 2005 GL1800

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Big Red 94
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

HIDS for 2005 GL1800

Postby Big Red 94 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:41 pm

I recently purchased a complete set of HIDS for my 2005 1800, all the hype on how good they are. The ones I ordered came from ShowChrome an 80 Watt LED H7.
I did High and Low beams. Upon taking it out 2 nights ago, into the dark country side, I found that I was really disappointed with them. I could barely make out the road surface on high beam, but nothing on low beam. My Biker Pro only showed the reflective road signs and nothing else until I came back to street lighting.
Has anyone else had this problem, such an expensive thing only to be a dismal failure. All the stuff I see on the HIDS on the web showed great results. Why is it that I have had complete failure to get the so called great LED experience. Is there something else I need to do. After all they are a plug and play globe. So I have put back the original halogens and I wondered why I even bothered.

Any offers why so poor, if not I recommend you stay well away from them.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: HIDS for 2005 GL1800

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:14 pm

LEDs are not HID. HID is a completely different system, using an electric arc through a gas envelope. LED uses a completely different technology to produce light, and (at this point) does not produce the amount of light of an equivalent HID system.

Most aftermarket LED headlights struggle to put out even the same amount of light as the stock halogen bulbs.

I have seen a demonstration of a new aftermarket LED headlight bulb for the GL1800 that is pretty close to the quality and power of HID bulbs, and far exceeds the stock halogen bulbs. However they are not yet on the market, and I have been asked not to talk about them until they are.

Steve F
Motorcycle: 1976 Honda CB750F Cafe' (sold :>( )
'03 GL1800

Postby Steve F » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:42 pm

I have HID's and I'm very pleased with them. I would not put HID's in the HIGH beams since they require a "warm-up" before they come on to full intensity, thereby making them less than ideal for high beam service. High beams need to be instant on.
There are a lot of people out there that say we're not supposed to put HID's in so-called "stock" reflector housing, but I say go for it. These same people are advocating the replacement or fitment of the projector type HID's to be legal. :lol: :lol:
I can't afford them, not sure where your financial standing is.......
"To ride is the reason, the destination the excuse."

Big Red 94
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby Big Red 94 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:05 am

Thanks, due to the nature of the question I wrote to many of the places that were selling these HIDs which is what I thought I was getting. Yes they are LEDS, but was assured by the supplier which I will not name, perhaps he didnt know either. But will correct him about it. Getting a refund is what I am after now, but not sure if that will happen. Expensive mistake. Converted to Australian dollars Thats about $400. However when replacing the originals, 2 would not work. So I had to buy 2 more, adding another $50. The guy siad these globes can stop working as something in the base of them stuff up. Anyway the 2 new ones are even brighter by far. Not as yellowish but its just the standard 55watt globe. I guess since 2005 they got a little better. So I am going back to get another 2 and put in the high beam to make them the same. (as the high beam is now yellowish in comparison. So I think I will give the others a miss for now. So thanks guys for your comments and stay upright.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”