Head Sets on Goldwing

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Auggie
Motorcycle: 2013 Goldwing Honda

Head Sets on Goldwing

Postby Auggie » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:07 pm

I have a 2013 Goldwing. I bought what I thought was a top notch brand of intercoms. The mike boom is very sensite that any little movement or touch will crack in your ears. I have sent them back to the manufacture and they say there is nothing wrong. I have tried to insulate the boom with some material and another plastic cover over that and they are still very sensitive. Is there a fix for this noise or what brand would you suggest to have a better system. I have used this brand other years and haven't had this issue. I thought new bike, new intercom. Not a good move.

baumedagn
Motorcycle: 2012
GL1800HPNM

Re: Head Sets on Goldwing

Postby baumedagn » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:25 pm

I've just upgraded to the J&M Elite 767 series and I'm very happy with them. I had a J&M set that they don't even make anymore. Some universal type and they worked pretty good, but nowhere near the quality of the 767's.

Auggie
Motorcycle: 2013 Goldwing Honda

Postby Auggie » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:15 pm

I also have the J&M sets. Mine are on open faced helmets. I don't remember off hand what model they were. Are your new sets sensitive when you tap on the boom for the mike? Maybe a different brand.

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:13 pm

Auggie wrote:I have a 2013 Goldwing. I bought what I thought was a top notch brand of intercoms. The mike boom is very sensite that any little movement or touch will crack in your ears. I have sent them back to the manufacture and they say there is nothing wrong. I have tried to insulate the boom with some material and another plastic cover over that and they are still very sensitive. Is there a fix for this noise or what brand would you suggest to have a better system. I have used this brand other years and haven't had this issue. I thought new bike, new intercom. Not a good move.

Auggie, It is hard to recommend anything without knowing what top notch brand headsets you bought? I have used the J&M headsets since about 1990 with great results. If I were to go looking for another product I would try Edsets. After that I really would not get into ranking them as I have only had experience with a buddy's Air Rider unit. He had similar problems with his boom mike.

Since you do mention the boom mike I am assuming you have some form of open face helmet. I wear full face so this does solve some of the other noise problems--wind.

Have you contacted the manufacturer for assistance and was the headsets installed by a professional or did you do it. I know Sierra Electronics, Overbys, Wingstuff and others will do the install for you! It can make a real difference in sound when the speakers are off versus in the correct location.

Of course I suspect some others will jump in and recommend Bluetooth systems that will eliminate the cords. While this is the future, I personally don't think that equipment is up to snuff yet!
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

joyridinglady
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800

Postby joyridinglady » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:23 pm

I'm not sure what brand you had problems with but I can recommend a EdSets headset.

I have their 3G Headset with their Thunderclap speakers installed in my helmet and love it. They come with a 3 year warranty. Both the microphone and speaker sound is clear and crisp and works well with all the built in Goldwing components. They are high quality and completely modular. All of the parts you need are included in the price.

I also just bought and installed their Bluestreak Cell Phone Integration Kit last month. It works great! I now have hands free calling with clear sound and callers can’t even tell I’m riding a motorcycle. I also use it to access other applications on my phone. Installation wasn’t too bad either.

Wayne
Motorcycle: 2000 Valkyrie Tourer
2008 GL1800 Level 3 White
2015 GL1800 Level 3 Red/Black Anniversary

Postby Wayne » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:48 pm

It sounds like you have the intercom set really high, anything over a setting 9 will give you the snap, crackle, pop, from the movement of the mic boom. Since the Honda still uses a dynamic mic it is very critical that the mic cartridge is directly in front of mouth. 1/2 inch from center gives a loss of 50% of modulation.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”