GL1800 camshaft installation - confused

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Ocoinji
Motorcycle: 2006 Gl1800

GL1800 camshaft installation - confused

Postby Ocoinji » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:14 am

I have the honda shop manual for the 1800. On page 9-30 it says to install the camshafts with the "M" mark facing outwards and on the next page says to install the camshafts with the " M" mark facing inwards. I'm guessing the information on page 9-31 is the correct information. I will study it before i take anything apart just to make sure though. Any clarification you could provide would be appreciated.

Also, are the exhaust valves the ones closest to the cam sprockets for each cylinder?

Thanks in advance.

Jim O'Coin

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: GL1800 camshaft installation - confused

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:18 pm

Ocoinji wrote:I have the honda shop manual for the 1800. On page 9-30 it says to install the camshafts with the "M" mark facing outwards and on the next page says to install the camshafts with the " M" mark facing inwards. I'm guessing the information on page 9-31 is the correct information. I will study it before i take anything apart just to make sure though. Any clarification you could provide would be appreciated.

Also, are the exhaust valves the ones closest to the cam sprockets for each cylinder?

Thanks in advance.

Jim O'Coin

You have to read the paragraph before it:

If the other camshaft has not been serviced, remove its cylinder head cover and check the camshaft position as shown in the next step.

So the idea is that assuming you are servicing only one camshaft, they want you to remove the other cover (the non-serviced one) and check that the "M" mark is visible and the rearmost cam lobe is facing inwards, when the engine is at TDC. If it is not visible, rotate the engine 360 degrees, so that the "M" mark becomes visible, and the rearmost cam lobe faces inward.

Once you have got the existing cam configured this way, you then install the camshaft that you are servicing. When installing THAT cam, you want the "M" mark facing INWARD, and the rear cam lobe facing OUTWARD - opposite to the other cam.

Make sense?

The exhaust valve is the one closest to the cam sprocket.

Ocoinji
Motorcycle: 2006 Gl1800

Re: GL1800 camshaft installation - confused

Postby Ocoinji » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:19 pm

Thank you for that explanation.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”