Intercom problem

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
pshotch2
Motorcycle: 2006 Goldwing

Intercom problem

Postby pshotch2 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:49 am

I recently bought some headsets for the Goldwing onboard system. The radio works fine as does the CB. When I try to set it to hot mike with either the front or rear switch it works sometimes and sometimes not. It will drop intermittently also. Not sure if switch or relay is going bad. Anybody experienced this?

PastoT
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (107k)

Re: Intercom problem

Postby PastoT » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:11 pm

I have no switches on either front or rear on my 02, so I'm guessing you have a PTT for the rear for keying up the CB but neither PTT switches should impact the intercom. The radio controls the intercom level and mute level (to hush the wind noise when nobody is talking). I'm guessing you have some added circuitry to control your mics like mic-mutes or something similar. Intermittent to me indicates loose or dirty contacts either within the switches or connectors. My approach would be to clean and check all the connections on this circuitry ( under the seat and probably in/under the left glove box). A healthy dose of contact cleaner sprayed in the switches may do the trick. With the intercom on and the mute set to 0 the mics should be open and not require any switch be used to talk between the front and rear helmets, unless something has been added (AKA switches). You could bypass whatever was added to test the helmets and bike's stock connections to narrow your troubleshooting to bike, helmets or add-ons. Certainly make sure your helmet intercom cords and connections are clean and secure, and that the wires from the bike aren't worn out, pinched, kinked up.
Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 108k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"

pshotch2
Motorcycle: 2006 Goldwing

Postby pshotch2 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:34 pm

I also have a 1994 Goldwing Aspencade. I hooked the helmets up to its system and all seemed to work fine. What I meant by the switch was when I first hooked it into the system (on the 2006 Wing) I had to push the CB push to talk button to get the intercom to work. It also worked when you pushed the button on the rear controller. After awhile they started to become intermittent. I would push the CB talk button and they would work for awhile then quit. This is done with the CB off by the way. I will try to clean all the switch contacts as you suggested. I also have a problem with my reverse switch not staying engaged. Have to hold it in to use reverse. It engages like the cruise on/off switch on my 1994 Wing and when I cleaned that switch all was fine. Thanks for the input.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:56 am

pshotch2 wrote:I also have a 1994 Goldwing Aspencade. I hooked the helmets up to its system and all seemed to work fine. What I meant by the switch was when I first hooked it into the system (on the 2006 Wing) I had to push the CB push to talk button to get the intercom to work. It also worked when you pushed the button on the rear controller. After awhile they started to become intermittent. I would push the CB talk button and they would work for awhile then quit. This is done with the CB off by the way. I will try to clean all the switch contacts as you suggested. I also have a problem with my reverse switch not staying engaged. Have to hold it in to use reverse. It engages like the cruise on/off switch on my 1994 Wing and when I cleaned that switch all was fine. Thanks for the input.

That definitely sounds like you have Mic-Mutes installed. Normally you do not have to press the PTT button in order to make the intercom work.

PastoT
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (107k)

Postby PastoT » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:07 pm

Ahhh... the bain of our GL1800 lifestyle - switches. I don't personally believe Mother Honda thought we'd run these bikes as long as we have because the switches are often the only issues an owner deals with. you're not alone with the occasionally gummed up dirty stuck switch. Most can be disassembled and cleaned out but I'd suggest getting some tuner or contact spray cleaner and hose them as best you can before trying to open up a POD and access them internally. I have used WD-40 in a pinch but it can collect dust and grime in the switch, so I follow it with tuner spray. Reverse, Mute, Cruise Start and the turn signal switches often join the ranks of the hazard switch in making things difficult. I've had reverse, cruise and mute stuck partially requiring repeated toggling to regain functionality - having no headlights was a surprise twice to me after backing out of the garage. Hazards got stuck at least one time. Many advise riders to work those switches every time you ride and maybe 10 or so times at least monthly to hold the issues at bay. In the winter the switch lube freezes up and in the dusty regions the goo collects dust and becomes too thick to function reliably, thus aerosol tuner/contact spray and some finger exercises. I don't understand the PTT switch issue but cleaning and securing the connections and switches is a good next step.

Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 108k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”