Rear suspension load

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
salty1
Motorcycle: 98 GL1500 C, 00 GL1500CF, 06 GL1800 3A

Rear suspension load

Postby salty1 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:00 am

I'm a relatively new "winger" and I'm curious what folks are setting their rear suspension load at. I'm 200 lbs and usually ride 1up. The bike is a 2006 GL 1800. Your responses are appreciated. :)

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Re: Rear suspension load

Postby Fatwing Chris » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:28 am

That depends on a lot of things.The suspension is weak from the factory so they really all need an upgrade of some sort.There are lots of different one running anywhere from a few hundred(if you do it yourself)to a few thousand.If nothing else you need to determine if the hydraulic spring preload assembly is full of oil.Lots came from the factory low on oil.Put the bike on the centerstand and run the adjuster down to zero setting,now hit the up button and listen for the change in sound of the pump.When it actually starts to sound different that's when it's starting to work(note the number on the gauge).It should start when you hit the button and not somewhere between the 0 and the 15.With a stock suspension I would suspect your best ride and handling would be to set it on 15 and leave it even if the pump is full.In the case of these bikes a stiffer suspension actually gives you a better ride.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:12 am

The man that really knows about all this is the owner of tail wind trailers. He is a man much wiser than most!
1st, one should make sure the pump is full!
2nd. Since you most likely will be adding fluid to the pump, it would be a good time to replace the spring. Suspension parts do wear out, ya know!
3rd. When all this is done, set it on 25 and leave it there(this is the part Tom Finch suggested!!!!)
http://tailwindtrailers.com/tom.htm
I did all this while still on 2 wheels. My wife wanted to know what I did to the bike as (in her words) it is riding much better back here!
Prior to that I had tried every thing from zero to 20 thinking the max would be like a "hard tail".
The thing to remember is this is a preload adjustment, it does not change the dampening provided by the shock.

Easy rider
Motorcycle: GL 1800 / 2013

Postby Easy rider » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:06 pm

tfdeputydawg wrote:3rd. When all this is done, set it on 25 and leave it there(this is the part Tom Finch suggested!!!!)
http://tailwindtrailers.com/tom.htm

I agree and I use all the time max preload as well

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD, 2008 GL1800

Postby Rednaxs60 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:00 pm

The owner's manual also mentions that the rear preload should be done on the centre stand.
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Postby Fatwing Chris » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:57 am

Fatwing Chris wrote:That depends on a lot of things.The suspension is weak from the factory so they really all need an upgrade of some sort.There are lots of different one running anywhere from a few hundred(if you do it yourself)to a few thousand.If nothing else you need to determine if the hydraulic spring preload assembly is full of oil.Lots came from the factory low on oil.Put the bike on the centerstand and run the adjuster down to zero setting,now hit the up button and listen for the change in sound of the pump.When it actually starts to sound different that's when it's starting to work(note the number on the gauge).It should start when you hit the button and not somewhere between the 0 and the 15.With a stock suspension I would suspect your best ride and handling would be to set it on 15 and leave it even if the pump is full.In the case of these bikes a stiffer suspension actually gives you a better ride.

Sorry folks.Meant to say 0-25 and leave it on 25.Got CRS(Can't remember ****) bad.Been awhile since I've touched the adjuster.

If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”