911 Help! GL1800 front fork drain plug issue!

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Paulcf
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 Massively Heavy Luxury Touring

911 Help! GL1800 front fork drain plug issue!

Postby Paulcf » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:50 pm

The background: hi everyone! I need "911" help! I had to replace my tires. The front wheel is off and the new tire is mounted on the rim, check!
The brake pads were worn, so I got new ones, cleaned the calipers and applied grease inside the slider shaft boots, check! (dealer NEVER put grease inside the boots!).

The SITUATION: I want to change the fork oil. Removed the top shelter, etc. Removed the top cap on left side (as when sitting on the bike)...wow, NO oil visible (I believe, from Fred Harmon, that the oil should be 5" from the top of the tube). No oil! Other side (right), removed the drain plug, then the damper, old black oil draining out, yuck, is at least 5 years old.

The PROBLEM: I am turning/unscrewing the oil drain bolt (allen head) on the left fork and it is unscrewing and unscrewing and not coming out! It just turns and turns. What can I do? I am fearful that some moron before me cross threaded it and it no longer has the ability to catch a thread and unscrew/come out.

How can I get the bolt out? Or do I have to remove the entire fork tube and bring to a machine shop and get it drilled out/reamed and a larger diameter bolt installed so it can be removed in future to drain/replace the fork oil?

I do NOT want to simply add fork oil and seal it up...there may be some very old gunky oil and I really want to purge the fork of that old stuff before putting new oil in.

If you have come across this, and have a suggestion to help me, it would be most sincerely appreciated!

Thank you.

MOBILIS IN MOBILI

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Re: 911 Help! GL1800 front fork drain plug issue!

Postby Dusty Boots » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:24 pm

Try reinstalling the fork cap and then loosen the allen bolt

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:40 am

Once you have the fork cap back on, which will apply tension to the insides of the tube, use an air impact wrench to remove the bolt. Make sure you use the correct metric size hex wrench in the bolt so that you do not damage the bolt head socket.

It is advisable to have a new fork bolt and washers on hand. Keep in mind that the left and right bolts are different lengths.

Let us know how it works out for you.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

Paulcf
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 Massively Heavy Luxury Touring

Postby Paulcf » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:03 pm

Thanks both of you. I didn't realize that the left fork has something else that the bolt screws into...I went back and tightened it and then loosened it and it came out! Voila! Ugh the black dirty oil. First time doing this and it hasn't been done in 6+years!

MOBILIS IN MOBILI

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”