None heated seats to heated seats

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
rl graphics
Motorcycle: honda goldwing 1800

None heated seats to heated seats

Postby rl graphics » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:19 pm

Hello I have a 2006 goldwing with non heated seats and hand grips...I was able to win a bid on ebay for a Mustang heated seat that I would like to install...I was told that Honda had already installed the wiring on the 2006 and up on the bike..how true is that if so is their a kit I need to buy to install this ....I see they have heated hand grip kits...Can someone let me know!

pgfireman
Motorcycle: 2007 GL 1800 Navi, 2004 Suzuki V Strom

Re: None heated seats to heated seats

Postby pgfireman » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:27 am

Hello: cant help you with the seat, (my 07 has one equipped) but I did change the grips. Google OEM compatible grips for your bike and there will be a set with plugs that fit the sockets. Cost me about $ 160.00 and an hour to install. They work well. NOTE: the systems are linked (seats and grips) and it would seem heat will only work if all four parts -front and rear seat, left and right grip - are working. The grips are the most sensitive part of the set and the left one most liable to fail. As per former blogs I believe its connected to holding the grip when putting the bike on the centre stand , your hand tends to twist a bit and the filaments can break in the grip. Once this contact is lost it seems that all the heated accessories are kaput. Good luck, living in Ontario the grips and seats with my heated jacket and chaps give me at least a month on each end of the season.

mcbrown
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800CADA
1978 GL1000 K3 sold
1975 Gl1000 K1 sold
Honda CB500/4 sold
Honda CB450 twin sold

Postby mcbrown » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:02 am

This document was given to me by one of the Honda dealers when I asked questions regarding the rear seat heater appearing to not work when riding with my wife. I still think its not right but this was their response. This is just for your information which may be off assistance when you do your heated upgrade. Apparently it was all Secret Squirrel stuff and customers were not supposed to get a copy. Go figure that one out???

Murray
Attachments

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:14 am

You can also get an aftermarket switch that will allow you to use your heated seats. Go onto Mustang's web site, and they likely have a setup you can use.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

crock4
Motorcycle: 2001 Goldwing
2007 VT 750 shadow Aero Sold
2001 harley softail deuce Sold
2003 harley road king sold
2010 Honda Stateline

Postby crock4 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:41 pm

themainviking wrote:You can also get an aftermarket switch that will allow you to use your heated seats. Go onto Mustang's web site, and they likely have a setup you can use.

I had to install one on my 2001 when I put a new heated Corbin seat on mine. No big deal just a pigtail that is connected right into the acc position of the fuse box. Corbin supplied it with the seat, and like themainviking said above I'm sure mustang has a similar pigtail available for theirs. Good luck, and enjoy your new seat.
Bob

Passion keeps your blood flowing and your heart beating. Motorcycles are my passion !

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”