Wing Nav update

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
bob-c
Motorcycle: 2007 GL 1800

Wing Nav update

Postby bob-c » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:00 pm

Garmin has an update for the Wing Nav. It is US $95 direct from Garmin. Apparently, Canadian bikes are Different??? , so Honda Canada is the sole distributor up here....at Ca $285 !!! How's that for price gouging ? Clones anyone ?

jinx
Motorcycle: 2006 gl1800

Re: Wing Nav update

Postby jinx » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:38 am

Go to one of the GPS sites and learn how to update the maps yourself.
FYI my 06 has 2017.10 maps installed.

bob-c

Postby bob-c » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:26 am

Thanx jinx: Any particular GPS site ?

jinx

Postby jinx » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:02 pm

Try GPS Underground. They have all the info you need.

ictghost
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 Goldwing

Postby ictghost » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:57 pm

bob-c, I've sent you a PM

BendItTwice
Motorcycle: Many

Postby BendItTwice » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:50 am

Free maps for Garmin brand GPS devices.

http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

huggiebear
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800 airbag
2005 GL1800 with side Car and Trailer

Postby huggiebear » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:36 pm

Hi everyone!
I've updated my nav, unfortunately for us Canadian we've got shafted without a kiss ,
Because our bikes Gps uses a 2GB CF card Handa had to split the NA maps in 2 one for USA one for Canada, this means every time we cross the boarder we have to change card.
Also means we have to keep it in the motorcycle trunk with a possibility of losing the card if that happens I have to buy a newone another 95$ US 130 Canadians .
I've tried to copy one map on my old cf card but when I try to use it in the GPS I get an error ( card locked)
Any one had any lock copying the original map to keep it as a backup? I don't really want to spend 130$ twice.
Any input it's greatly appreciate.

ictghost

Postby ictghost » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:32 pm

Huggiebear...PM sent

jinx

Postby jinx » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:54 pm

You can download the maps from one of the gps forum site and use mapsource to create custom mapsets. I use a 4gb cf card to load custom mapset of about 2.1gb.
That size map would allow you to load a mapset of Canada and a good part of the USA. If you do this you will lose the POI option.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:56 pm

huggiebear wrote:Hi everyone!
I've updated my nav, unfortunately for us Canadian we've got shafted without a kiss ,
Because our bikes Gps uses a 2GB CF card Handa had to split the NA maps in 2 one for USA one for Canada, this means every time we cross the boarder we have to change card.
Also means we have to keep it in the motorcycle trunk with a possibility of losing the card if that happens I have to buy a newone another 95$ US 130 Canadians .
I've tried to copy one map on my old cf card but when I try to use it in the GPS I get an error ( card locked)
Any one had any lock copying the original map to keep it as a backup? I don't really want to spend 130$ twice.
Any input it's greatly appreciate.

We have been making clone cards for quite some time. The hard part is finding 2GB CF cards, and CF card reader/writers for the computer. Searching will find them in a usb plug in format. You need the main mapping program that is on your purchased cards, and an unlocked map that you can make or download. It works well, and allows you to have more up to date maps and to divide them in the manner that you wish, rather that what Garmin or Honda think is proper. You will still have to carry two CF cards though to get all of Canada, US, and Mexico. Jinx has been able to use a 4GB card as he mentions, but I have not been able to get one to function in the NAV unit. I am not positive, but I think the POI option is lost with the Garmin/Honda updates also.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

huggiebear
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800 airbag
2005 GL1800 with side Car and Trailer

Postby huggiebear » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:32 pm

Thanks guys for the fast reply!
Viking, there is many 2 GB to choose from Amazon. I don't know how jinx managed to plug a 4GB CF card when the CPU can only read up to 2Gb, I haven't tried but if I come across a 4 GB cf card I will try to upload the one I downloaded of the net.
I thought buying from Garming it was the safest and better place, I guess I was wrong spending 130$ Canadian when I could have it for free.

UP TO 2GB

ictghost

Postby ictghost » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:45 pm

I'm using an 8GB card in mine, just have to make sure the maps are not larger than 2GB.

jinx

Postby jinx » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:56 pm

Nice to know the 8gb work as well. Any one have a 16 gb to try ? I also had some luck with a CF to SD adapter.
Now if Garmin would just update the firmware to except the larger maps.

jinx

Postby jinx » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:47 am

themainviking are you cloning unlocked mapsets of the Garmin/Honda maps or the latest maps from the internet ? If you are using the Garmin/Honda release unlocked are you able to keep the POI function working ?
My guess is that the clones lose the POI function but I wanted to confirm this.

If you would like you can PM your response.
And my offer to get together to research the 2gb limit on your nav still stands.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:17 am

jinx wrote:themainviking are you cloning unlocked mapsets of the Garmin/Honda maps or the latest maps from the internet ? If you are using the Garmin/Honda release unlocked are you able to keep the POI function working ?
My guess is that the clones lose the POI function but I wanted to confirm this.

If you would like you can PM your response.
And my offer to get together to research the 2gb limit on your nav still stands.

I originally, in September 2011, purchased an update from Garmin, and if I remember correctly, the POI function no longer worked on that version, which was 4.50. The following January, 2012, they sent me another card, because there had been something wrong with the one I had purchased the previous September, 2011 (according to Garmin, anyway). It was version 4.51 IIRC, and the POI feature was not there either, so I believe only the original installation has the POI functioning, although I could be wrong. I am only going by my experience. Anyway, for my maps at present, I get the newest CNANT version, and use MapSource to open and unlock it, and then I make my maps from that, and load them onto two CF cards (now)(used to be only one card). I have 2017.10, and have Canada and the northern half of the US on one card and all of the US and Mexico on the other. When I travel to the US, I have till about a line running with the Kansas/Oklahoma border to swap cards. Going home, anytime north of Oklahoma, I can change back. I cannot have it calculate really long trips, but I can do them in segments of about a days travel. Really long ones result in an error.

I appreciate the offer to get together to research the 2GB limit on my bike, but that would require that we be in the same place at the same time, LMAO, with at least my bike and your CF card and someones CF card reader and a computer. Almost like it would need to be planned :o
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

bob-c

Postby bob-c » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:54 am

The Garmin GPS I got off Ebay, came from Southern Florida and when I opened it on my computer, the map arrangement offered was for the US only with small fragmented maps. It wouldn't do me any good being in Canada. So, I haven't done anything more with it. Sorry I can't help you out.

jinx

Postby jinx » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:55 pm

For anyone interested 2017.20 mapset is out and the latest firmware is v4.9. As far I know only the unauthorized mapset , one not purchased from garmin/honda for the wing, lose the POI function. Themainviking you are the first one I have heard of that lost the POIs after upgrading with the authorized mapset.
Lastly my interest in this is purely curiosity as to why the POIs and larger CF card wont work.

Alois
Motorcycle: Gold Wing 2015

Re: Wing Nav update for EUROPE

Postby Alois » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:17 am

Dear GL Friends,

Last two months I tried BUY legal NAVI update for my new GL 1800 I bought it as new last year in Europe (I am living in The Czech Republic, CZ). I have GL 1800 40th anniversary, black colour.

In this time I would like to buy new maps and software for GL NAVI Europe. Yes, I know, I can buy maps at Garmin for about USD 99,- but only for North America.

The first my question about Navi update I sent to Honda CZ. Answer - we have no information about update. Then questions followed to GB, Austria, Nederland - they have no information about updating.
Next communication was with Garmin CZ, Garmin Europe, Garmin PL. No succesfull answer. All told me - ask Honda EU for help! Honda EU told me we have no information about NAVI update!!!!

Could anybody help me?

( I have loaded "not authorised" update from Garmin, but I do not know If I can believe it or not.)

E-mail: alois@star-riders.cz

motorhead1977
Motorcycle: 2009 GL 1800 ABS, 2015 Ducati Scrambler 800, 1986 VFR 700

Postby motorhead1977 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:42 am

jinx wrote:For anyone interested 2017.20 mapset is out and the latest firmware is v4.9. As far I know only the unauthorized mapset , one not purchased from garmin/honda for the wing, lose the POI function. Themainviking you are the first one I have heard of that lost the POIs after upgrading with the authorized mapset.
Lastly my interest in this is purely curiosity as to why the POIs and larger CF card wont work.

Hi all,

I am not so computer literate that I understand any of this file naming talk etc. but I would like to update the maps on my 2009 Navi (SD card). I was all set to buy from Garmin (the price seemed fair enough to keep all functionality) but then saw this post that 2017.20 mapset is out and what I'd get from Garmin is 2014.40. I'd rather not buy a mapset that is 3 years out of date but truly don't want to "muck about" in my GPS and end up with less than my old maps, or no maps. Any help here? Plug and play is my ideal but I'm willing to learn with some assist to walk me through doing this. Trying to just follow printed instructions scares the bejeezus out of me. You can PM me if you'd rather. Thanks in advance.
"When fascism comes to America it will be draped in the flag and carrying the cross." Sinclair Lewis

Boaz65
Motorcycle: 07 GL1800
Dark Metallic Orange

Postby Boaz65 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:44 am

Hi Everyone,
I'm newly registered on the site, lots of stuff to read and lots of knowledgeable folks here which is great! I've been really interested in this topic for updating to the most current maps for my bike without paying through the nose (pension $ only goes so far!). I have an 07 Gl1800, and since I've owned the bike, I've purchased 1 update CF card from Garmin, which has 2011 info on it. My bike currently has the 4.6 firmware and from what I've read so far in threads here, my unit should already be capable of reading the NT versions of maps, correct? I have DL'd the 2017.20 unlocked mapset already and simply backed up the gmapsupp file from the original 2GB card, copied the file that I downloaded to the 2GB CF card and got a message stating i need 125 MB more space to copy the file to the card. Can I simply buy a 4GB CF card, copy all of the original files from the original CF card, except for the gmapsupp file, to the new 4GB card and then copy the 2017.20 mapset to it and ride? Do I have to format the new 4GB card first?
Thanks for any and all help

jinx

Postby jinx » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:51 pm

A couple of us are using 4gb or greater cf cards. One person could not get the 4gb card to work. Also the most resent firmware is 4.9 as far as I know. If you do use a 4gb card and mapsets over 2gb check to see if the find by address function works. I have found that around 2.09gb mapset will load and display but the find by address wont work. Any mapsets not sold by Honda or Garmin for the wing will not have the POI function working.

Boaz65
Dark Metallic Orange

Postby Boaz65 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:22 pm

Thanks for your reply, does it matter what brand CF card I use? I'm going to give this a try, should I also update the firmware or is 4.6 okay?

jinx

Postby jinx » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:21 am

I used a Sandisk CF card . I believe it is the Extreme but not sure at the moment. If you do a search of this site I posted the one I was using.
I think FW 4.9 operates a little faster than 4.6 and may have a couple of other bug fixes. But if you install FW 4.9 and you don't like it you can go back to 4.6.

Boaz65
Dark Metallic Orange

Postby Boaz65 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:57 am

Thanks for your time and info!

jinx

Postby jinx » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:46 pm

For anyone looking for FW4.9 here is a link. This is not my download .

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_xAmV ... ef=2&pli=1

If you use this you can load the file as is on a CF card . Create a folder Called Garmin and copy this file to that folder. That must be the only file in that folder. Install the card into your Nav and turn the ignition to either ign or acc and wait until file is done loading. Put your original card back in and you are done.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”