broken hazard switch

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
rollsroyce1934
Motorcycle: 2006 GL 1800 Comfort/Navigation/ABS

broken hazard switch

Postby rollsroyce1934 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:00 pm

I have a 2006 Comfort/Navi/ABS with driving lights. I ordered 2 switches to replace the driving lights and the hazard switch thinking a quick replacement for the hazard. I am trying to figure out how to adapt the second driving light switch to the hazard switch. I have seen numerous posts for replacing the switch with one from Radio Shack or other places like it. Putting in a switch from Radio Shack would not be waterproof so getting stuck in the rain will short it out.The extra switch has 4 wires at the switch and the hazard switch also has 4. Is there a way to connect direct to existing wiring? The wires on the driving light switch has 2 brown, 1 green and 1 white/black stripe. The hazard has pink, gray, blue and green. Buying the entire panel for $250 is not an option.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: broken hazard switch

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:28 pm

rollsroyce1934 wrote:I have a 2006 Comfort/Navi/ABS with driving lights. I ordered 2 switches to replace the driving lights and the hazard switch thinking a quick replacement for the hazard. I am trying to figure out how to adapt the second driving light switch to the hazard switch. I have seen numerous posts for replacing the switch with one from Radio Shack or other places like it. Putting in a switch from Radio Shack would not be waterproof so getting stuck in the rain will short it out.The extra switch has 4 wires at the switch and the hazard switch also has 4. Is there a way to connect direct to existing wiring? The wires on the driving light switch has 2 brown, 1 green and 1 white/black stripe. The hazard has pink, gray, blue and green. Buying the entire panel for $250 is not an option.

I'd look at buying a used switch cluster from eBay, removing the hazard switch from it, and transplanting it into your bike. That way you keep the appearance and function, as well as the weatherproofing.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”