2001 GL1800 Speedometer issue

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
lusthawk
Motorcycle: 1986 VFR750 Interceptor

2001 GL1800 Speedometer issue

Postby lusthawk » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:10 pm

Hi all...I am a technician in a bike shop in Alberta Canada and I have been pulling my hair out trying to figure out a speedometer problem in 2001 GL1800's - we have 4-5 customers with the same problem.

The problem is the speedometer is erratic...meaning it tends to jump around. The problem seems worse as the machine warms up (it is not as bad when it is cold). There are no associated codes coming up (no F1 light). I have poured over wiring diagrams trying to understand how the systyem works - it seems simple enough...lol. I have disassembled the combination meter...swapped out speedometer heads...installed new VS sensor...all to no avail.
I have been up and down this forum - other forums - and the internet generally with no luck. Seems odd to me that we have customers having the problem - yet I cannot seem to find anyone else that does or has had in the past. And it only seem to be the 2001 models. I have gone through all the tests in the factory ETM - consulted other technicians - hell I would speak to the dog catcher if I thought it would help...lol

Anyone out there had this issue?

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Re: 2001 GL1800 Speedometer issue

Postby MikeB » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:59 pm

If memory serves me, thee was a Honda Bulletin concerning this very malfunction on the early GL1800's. Check the Bulletins in your shop.

A quick search (about a minute) got this for you -> Honda Service Bulletin 1800SB8. It was sent out in December of 2001.

this info came from this page -> http://www.gwrraiachapa.com/bulletins.php
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

lusthawk
Motorcycle: 1986 VFR750 Interceptor

Re: 2001 GL1800 Speedometer issue

Postby lusthawk » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:23 pm

Hi Mike...and thank you for your response.
We did look at the bulletin you speak of and that was for warpage of the speedo face plate in direct sunlight....this issue here is that the speedo will work fine...then slowly start to get more and more erratic (when holding speed). Some research I did indicated that certain models of Honda cars do the same thing (saw that on youtube). When I had the combo meter apart, I closely examined the faceplate for warpage and found none. It almost seems as though it is a poor connection issue...but I went through every inch of the line from the VSS to the speedo head...all was good.
Thanks again for your response.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”