GL1800 2005 led lights for brake and turn light

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
zsylvainz
Motorcycle: Goldwing 2005

GL1800 2005 led lights for brake and turn light

Postby zsylvainz » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:46 am

These are led lights I bought for my 2005 GL1800 and I am happy with the results. Since I was looking for the following info without success, I am posting it for others :

I bought these LED from superbrightleds.com each at 14.88$ in march 2016.

I bought 6 (7443-R45-T: Red) and 4 (7443-A45-T: Amber) to replace all my lights on my 2005 Golwing GL1800. These leds are brighter than OEM Bulbs during daylight and at night.

For (7443-R45-T: Red), the LED is brighter than OEM Bulbs in both "running lights" mode and "Brake" mode. Surprisingly, the contrast between "running light" and "Brake" mode is also a little better than with OEM Bulbs, wich is usually a weak point for led lights. Also : The color of the light is more PURE, more RED, wich is another +.

For (7443-A45-T: Amber), the LED is brighter than OEM Bulbs in both "running lights" mode and "TurnSignal" mode. Surprisingly, the contrast between "running light" and "TurnSignal" mode is also a little better than with OEM Bulbs, wich is usually a weak point for led lights. ALSO : THE ONLY BAD POINT I NOTICED IS : The color of the LED APPEARS A LITTLE YELLOWISH (Less orange) than OEM bulbs.

FRENCH :
En mars 2016, j'ai acheté en ligne chez superbrightleds.com 10 lumières LED au coût de 14.88$ l'unité.
J'ai acheté 6 (7443-R45-T: ROUGE) and 4 (7443-A45-T: Ambre) pour remblacer mes "lumières à filament original" sur mon Golwing 2005 model : GL1800. Ces DEL(Diodes électro-luminescentes) ou LED en anglais, émettent plus de lumière que les "lumières à filament original" que ce soit de jour ou de nuit.

Pour la lumière LED modèle : (7443-R45-T: Red) : Cette lumière DEL est plus lumineuse que les "lumières à filament original" pour le mode "Feu de position" et le mode "Freins appliqués". De plus et digne de mention, le CONTRASTE entre le mode "feu de position" et le mode "Freins appliqués" est aussi plus important qu'avec les "lumières à filament original", ordinairement une faiblesse pour les lumières DEL. La couleur ROUGE émise par la DEL semble aussi plus pure, plus rouge, comparée à la couleur émise par la "lumière à filament".

Pour la lumière LED modèle : (7443-A45-T: Ambre) : Cette lumière DEL est plus lumineuse que les "lumières à filament original" pour le mode "Feu de position" et le mode "Feu de direction / Feux clignotants". De plus et digne de mention, le CONTRASTE entre le mode "feu de position" et le mode "Feu de direction / Feux clignotants" est aussi plus important qu'avec les "lumières à filament original", ordinairement une faiblesse pour les lumières DEL. SEUL POINT NÉGATIF, la couleur émise par la DEL parait plus jaunâtre et moins orangée que la couleur émise par la "lumière à filament".

wingpilot08
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800-HPNA - 24,000+ miles
1988 Bunkhouse camping trailer
Darkside #1720

Re: GL1800 2005 led lights for brake and turn light

Postby wingpilot08 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:14 pm

zsylvainz wrote:For (7443-A45-T: Amber), the LED is brighter than OEM Bulbs in both "running lights" mode and "TurnSignal" mode. Surprisingly, the contrast between "running light" and "TurnSignal" mode is also a little better than with OEM Bulbs, wich is usually a weak point for led lights. ALSO : THE ONLY BAD POINT I NOTICED IS : The color of the LED APPEARS A LITTLE YELLOWISH (Less orange) than OEM bulbs.

FRENCH :

Just wondering if you are noticing a "fast flash" with the turn signals...normally replacing the incandescent bulbs with LEDs, there is not enough current draw and the system thinks the bulb is burned out ... and does a "fast flash"...secondly, do you still have the auto-cancel working on the turn signals?

FRENCH:
Je me demandais si vous remarquez un « clignotement rapide » avec les clignotants ... remplaçant normalement les ampoules à incandescence par des LED , il n'y a pas assez de tirage de courant et le système pense que l' ampoule est grillée ... et fait un " clignotement rapide " ... d'autre part , avez-vous encore l' auto- annulation de travail sur les clignotants ?
08' GL1800-HPNA - Red 20,000+ miles
1988 Bunkhouse Trailer/Camper
Darkside #1720

zsylvainz

Postby zsylvainz » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:07 am

Replacing the bulbs with leds will get the flasher to flash faster. Your existing flasher unit is sentive to current load and the flashing speed will change when the load changes. You have to change the mechanical flasher unit to a 3 pins electronic flasher relay available anywhere. I bought mine from CanadianTire Store at around 5$ (You can buy it from any car parts store). It can be a car flasher unit for any car model, just as long has it is an electronic unit and has 3 electrical connectores (some have 2 connectors). The existing flasher unit is hard to access. You just have to disconnect it and leave it in place and connect the connector to your new electronic module. You will have to work a little an create a little cable with connectors from your flasher unit to your existing connector. There is an excellent video made by Gary Rowe on YouTube showing you exactly how to do it. The title of his video : "Installing Turn Signal LED Flasher relay on 2003 Honda GL1800 Goldwing - Gen 1" and here is the link :

Après le remplacement des lumières à filament d'origine par les LED, le clignotement sera trop rapide. Votre module de clignotement est sensible au courant qui le traverse et changera de vitesse de clignotement en fonction de la charge. Il faut changer le module de clignotement de votre moto avec un module de clignotement électronique à 3 connecteurs (pins). J'ai acheté le mien au magasin Canadian Tire pour 5$ mais vous pouvez l'acheter à n'importe quel magasin de pièces d'auto. Le modèle de voiture pour lequel votre module de clignotement a été fabriqué n'importe pas. Cependant, vous devez choisir un module à 3 connectors (car il existe des modèles à 2 connectors) et ce module doit être de type electronique. Comme le module de clignotement existant de votre gl1800 est difficile d'accès, je recommande de le laisser en place, de le disconnecter, et de reconnecter le connecteur de la moto à votre nouveau module. Cependant, vous devrez fabriquer un petit cable reliant votre nouveau module de clignotement au connecteur de la moto anciennement connecté au module de la moto. Il y a un excellent vidéo (en anglais) fait par Gary Rowe sur YouTube qui montre exactement la marche à suivre. Le titre du vidéo est : "Installing Turn Signal LED Flasher relay on 2003 Honda GL1800 Goldwing - Gen 1" et voici le lien que vous pouvez copier et coller dans votre fureteur :

zsylvainz

Postby zsylvainz » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:52 am

do you still have the auto-cancel working on the turn signals?

auto-cancel operations are not affected from changing OEM Bulbs to LED or changing the flasher unit to an electronic one.
Attachments

dragon2000
Motorcycle: 2009 Gold Wing
2000 Honda Valkyrie

Postby dragon2000 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:15 pm

I resurrected this post as I'm really interested in replacing all of the OEM Bulbs on my 09 Wing with LED's. Recently I replaced the Front Amber/Turn Signal Bulbs (I have clear lens) and love the extra light/visibility.

For the rear lights, searching user comments on other Forums, I came across a post advising that one had to be aware that replacing Rear Running Lights and Brake Lights with LED's at the same time may pose problems. This being that the Running Lights were just as Bright as when the Rear Brake Lights when activated. I can relate to this as a friend of mine who rides a Harley, replaced his red turn signal/running light bulbs with LED's. Where they are definitely brighter in running light mode, one can get confused if you don't know that these are not Brake Lights. Also noticed on some vendors websites that where they show the comparison of OEM Bulbs to LED's, there is no doubt the LED's are brighter however there are no pictures with the Brake lights applied.

Zsylvainz: reading your post below really got my attention.

Quote:
For (7443-R45-T: Red), the LED is brighter than OEM Bulbs in both "running lights" mode and "Brake" mode. Surprisingly, the contrast between "running light" and "Brake" mode is also a little better than with OEM Bulbs, wich is usually a weak point for led lights. Also : The color of the light is more PURE, more RED, wich is another +.

For (7443-A45-T: Amber), the LED is brighter than OEM Bulbs in both "running lights" mode and "TurnSignal" mode. Surprisingly, the contrast between "running light" and "TurnSignal" mode is also a little better than with OEM Bulbs, wich is usually a weak point for led lights. ALSO : THE ONLY BAD POINT I NOTICED IS : The color of the LED APPEARS A LITTLE YELLOWISH (Less orange) than OEM bulbs.
Unquote:

Based on the above, to dispel my concerns can you post pictures with the Rear LED's in running light mode and also with the brakes LED's activated? I mentioned that I have already changed my Turn Signals and like you, noticed that were emit as much of an Amber color. That said, I'm happy that they make me more visible.

Thanks,

Steve

Steve

Dragon2000

Remember - You Meet the Nicest People Riding a Honda!

Ontario, Canada

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”