Beyond pathetic paint, must be defective.

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Dark Angel
Motorcycle: 2015 GL1800

Beyond pathetic paint, must be defective.

Postby Dark Angel » Sun May 01, 2016 9:10 pm

I have 2015 Black 40th Wing. Everyone by now knows how easily the paint scratches. But it also has started cracking on mine. Get a chip and it starts to crack. On my trunk rack I read the stories about the case cracking. I reinforced all the drill locations with ABS wafers (cut with a door knob hole saw). Used drilling tape, went in 4 steps, 1/16, 1/8, 1/4, then opened it up one more. The next day I was cleaning up and noticed several cracks from two of the holes. Took everything apart. No plastic cracks, just the paint. Just very irritating. Simply the worst paint ever on anything. Guess it will get completely stripped this winter and redone. Otherwise I absolutely love the bike.

The world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams it's heaven and hell. RJD

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Re: Beyond pathetic paint, must be defective.

Postby tfdeputydawg » Mon May 02, 2016 7:56 am

This is just one of the problems with the Wings since manufacture was taken to Japan.
Many posts on many forums about soft paint and some colors with no clear coat!!
Just one of the many reasons there will be no new Wings in my future!!!!

Dark Angel
Motorcycle: 2015 GL1800

Re: Beyond pathetic paint, must be defective.

Postby Dark Angel » Fri May 06, 2016 2:22 pm

Here was my fix. Cut some mat black crinkle abs to cover the scratches but also follow the lines of the rack and trunk. Used plastic paint from a rattle can in gloss black.
The world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams it's heaven and hell. RJD

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”