right side stereo speakers cut in and out

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
doctony
Motorcycle: 2007 Honda Goldwing

right side stereo speakers cut in and out

Postby doctony » Thu May 19, 2016 9:45 pm

I use a reliable 3" wide by 1" long RCA MP3 stereo player [holds up to 8 hours of pre-recorded music] which I secured to my 2007 GL1800 Goldwing trike with a snap-grip piece of 2 sided Velcro and it plays off an approximate 10" 3.5mm stereo plug-in cord which comes out from my left upper compartment box [all stock stuff] and the after-market RCA MP3 player plays off the AUX setting on the console on the Goldwing. It's worked perfectly in this 4 speaker system [2 speakers in the front and 2 more speakers in the rear] for some years but lately I'll be riding along and the ==RIGHT== side speakers [front and rear] will suddenly cut out and this happens periodically but lately it's getting worse. The left side [front and rear] will play but not the right side front and rear.

I know it's ==not== the fault of the portable stereo MP3 player because I have =3= of them and they work perfectly [left and right channel] with phones or played through my computer system. I don't have a clue what the "culprit" might be in the Goldwing audio system that causes the right side speakers [right front and right rear] to suddenly cut out and, surprisingly, it will sometimes come back to life again and the sound is fine and back to normal with all speakers playing the tunes and then, bang, the right side, which is to say the right front and right rear speaker, both cut out again and only the left side speakers [front and rear] play. Any suggestions what I could check and where any of this is located. Thank you. --- Doc Tony

firey1
Motorcycle: 2008 1800 abs model

Re: right side stereo speakers cut in and out

Postby firey1 » Thu May 19, 2016 10:53 pm

possibly the 3.5 cable
there could be a bad contact in the connector plug to the bike from the cable take out pocket and unplug from loom and use some contact cleaner on both ends and try out if that doesn't work it could be the cable itself they are cheap to replace

doctony

Postby doctony » Fri May 20, 2016 3:07 pm

Firey1 -- Thank you for your reply. Right now, the trike is at the Honda dealership having that Goldwing recall work done on those auxiliary master cylinders and the trike won't be ready until tomorrow so I can't look in there where that 3.5mm audio cable comes out of the upper left compartment. On the part I can see and actually grasp with my hand, I tried a new 3.5mm stereo 10" extension [which then plugs into my Velcro mounted RCA stereo MP3 player] and even used some reliable contact and oxidation cleaner but I notice that the stock 3.5mm audio wire that protrudes through a small hole wfrom the bottom of the left compartment goes "I don't know where" in the 'reverse' direction and into the Goldwing innards. Is the =source= of that audio wire something I can see and get to under there or do other items have to be removed? As I say, the trike is out for that recall work until tomorrow afternoon so I can't check it. Thanks again. If it =is= the internal amplifier, is that an expensive item? In any event, I much appreciated your input.

firey1

Postby firey1 » Fri May 20, 2016 3:26 pm

under the pocket the 3.5 cable plugs into the bikes wiring it is possible the small wire for the right side is broken or corroded

once you take out the left pocket you can follow the cable to the connection
(if the white connector looks clean and un corroded id try a new cable after that as for the amp not sure how much that would cost to replace)

doctony

Postby doctony » Mon May 23, 2016 8:42 pm

Thank you again for your response and that accompanying video was absolutely golden because when I first looked at that compartment searching for what the manual indicated to be 4 'screws', I came across those plastic 'whatever' compartment fasteners and I had no clue how they were removed until I watched the video you presented and the "press down" thing with the blade. I'll go ahead and follow the instructions and check that 3.5mm cord and if I'm really lucky, perhaps the "culprit" will be one of those tiny wires [as opposed to the amplifier!] because even today [83 degrees in the upstate NY Adirondack area! Nice!] my wife and I went for a ride into Vermont and the same in-out-in- out of the stereo MP3 player [and as checked with 2 other known good stereo MP3 players] as if it just could be a frayed wire at the other end of the 3.5mm cord because when it worked, it worked perfectly and then, even a small bump in the road, and out went the right channel and then back in again. So I'll check that 3.5mm wire and other end 3-wire white connector piece and now that I know where it goes and, more importantly, how to get there [thanks to you!] via removal of the left compartment, and replace it with a new one. I ==very much== appreciate your taking the time to help me with this and I'll let you know how it turns out especially now that I also know how those fasteners work on the compartment base thanks to your excellent input.

Just FYI, I have a 2007 GL1800 'Wing and the trike conversion was done in 2010 using the Champion kit with rear wheel independent suspension and it's own secondary trunk with duplicated lighting. My wife had developed some serious orthopedic issues [lumbar spine surgery, etc.] and so my or should I say "our" long-term '2' wheel motorcycle days were over so I moved to a ==trike== so she can "move around" much more freely in the passenger seat and I have the premium seating thing with thick leather and hand rails so she can enjoy a comfortable ride and we absolutely love it Believe it or not, it took some getting used to [at least myself and I've been riding motorcycles since my youth] but the ==absence== of any leaning on a trike AND no "at speed" counter-steering actually took some getting used to. On the other hand, with 1832cc and that hydraulic clutch and a toe/heel shifter which I now would not be without, I was quickly "spoiled" by the trike and we take the trike everywhere when the weather permits. If really lucky and even in the Adirondacks, we can manage an extended riding season of late March [IF March cooperates, this year it did!] right into early November before the trike reposes in the garage for the Adirondack winter. Ahhh, I'm drifting here and probably putting any other readers into Zzzzzz land ... thanks again, Firey1, for your help and input! I'll let you know how it all works out.

firey1

Postby firey1 » Mon May 23, 2016 9:54 pm

No worries at all glad to help

Mike

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”