preload adjust error

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

preload adjust error

Postby dlb1800 » Sun May 22, 2016 9:24 pm

I have had my bike apart for awhile doing maintenance/upgrades. Installed Progressive springs front and rear, cleaned and repacked steering head bearings and changing/topping off the rear shock actuator fluid, along with air filter, spark plugs etc. After getting everything back together and turning on the ignition the "Error Preload Adjust displayed. No reading of the actual number the preload is reading is displayed-nothing happens when using any button. I did not have the suspension at zero when I took the actuator apart to clean. I guess I forgot to run it to zero before I disconnected the battery. I rechecked the 3 connections on back of the instrument panel-all seemed tight, verified connectors at actuator clean and tight. The motor will run with the actuator disassembled and jumping power to the harness, verified the plunger spins but when reassembled it seems to jam. Have tried disconnecting the battery multiples to try to reset. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. 2008 Navi/ABS model.

Motorcycle: 2000 Gl1500 Se
2012 GL1800 Level 3

Re: preload adjust error

Postby peppilepew » Tue May 31, 2016 10:15 am

Older post but my guess is that you didn't have the piston past the step in the well. There may not be enough force to seat it past the bevel. You don not have to have the system set to zero when dismantling. Just adjust the sensor to start when reassembling. Just did mine last year.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”