How to run SAE line to left handlebar from battery

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
theback80
Motorcycle: 1999 Goldwing SE

How to run SAE line to left handlebar from battery

Postby theback80 » Tue May 24, 2016 7:45 pm

Sorry for adding a new topic. I've tried searching this subject and I can't seem to find a thread (even though I'm sure there must be one out there).

I want to run an SAE connector direct from the battery (not accessory power) to the left handle bar on my 2016 GW. The topics I found all connect to existing accessory wiring in the fairing. Is there existing wiring on the left side of the fairing that always has power? If not, what's the best way to run a wire from the battery to the handlebar?

I had a similar set up on my last bike and I liked it. I could use it for a battery tender during the winter and as a power source for my phone while riding. But I couldn't figure out a good way to string the wire through the bike.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

manutd
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Re: How to run SAE line to left handlebar from battery

Postby manutd » Wed May 25, 2016 7:19 am

I undid the bolts on the left side fairing (make sure you keep them in the right order to replace them as they are different sizes), then threaded the wire from the battery, through the frame, up the inside of the left side fairing into the left pocket.
1976 - C70
1977 - XL125
1979 - CB250
1980 - 400/4
2012 - XR650L
2015 - GL1800

joeincalif
Motorcycle: 1997 Gold Wing SE

Postby joeincalif » Wed May 25, 2016 9:08 am

There is power under the left pocket but it is only on with the key. If you want to run straight from the battery you can run it along the frame behind the side cover and false tank and up by the triple tree. You might use a coat hanger to get it past the false tank, you do not have to remove much to do it this way. Why do you want it on all the time?
IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE

theback80
Motorcycle: 1999 Goldwing SE

Postby theback80 » Wed May 25, 2016 1:50 pm

Thanks for the suggestions.

I didn't see an easy way to string the wire under the false tank. But I'll take a closer look.
The reason I want power with the key off is to use it during the winter with a battery tender. I could have a separate SAE cable (one that's always powered and one off an Accessory source). But I thought it would be easier to just have one line that serves both purposes.
On my last bike, I wired it onto the left pocket, but then I had to have the pocket door open in order to power my handle bar mounted GPS. So with my new bike, I want to thread it right up the left handlebar. I see that all the factory wiring is inside the handlebar. There's a plate on the bottom of the handlebar that's held in place by 2 phillips screws. If there's room, I was thinking of running the SAE wire in the same channel. Is this a bad idea??

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”