Headlight modulator start to be NLA

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-Present)
  • Sponsored Links
luck
Motorcycle: 1993 aspencade gl 1500 ( for sale )sold
2002 gl 1800 trike

Headlight modulator start to be NLA

Postby luck » Mon May 30, 2016 10:06 am

I want to install headlight modulator on my goldwing trike 1800, but they are hard to get or NLA for some brand anyway.
My question: is it a reason why they are ( N,L,A ) ????

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Headlight modulator start to be NLA

Postby WingAdmin » Mon May 30, 2016 8:05 pm

Perhaps you could start by explaining what NLA means.

In any case, they are freely available, Cyclemax has one for the GL1800 right here: http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/h4_h7_p ... ator/19120

Steve F
Motorcycle: 1976 Honda CB750F Cafe' (sold :>( )
'03 GL1800

Postby Steve F » Mon May 30, 2016 8:42 pm

I think he was saying No Longer Available
"To ride is the reason, the destination the excuse."

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Postby Bluewaterhooker0 » Mon May 30, 2016 8:51 pm

This is the brand I put on my 1500, but the link is for your 1800. I love it. Has worked perfectly for about 2 years. No issues, and I swear it gets me noticed. You might want to check if there are restrictions for not being legal in your area. That may be why they aren't carried near you. Otherwise, order online.

http://www.signaldynamics.com/plug-play ... -japanese/

peppilepew
Motorcycle: 2000 Gl1500 Se
2012 GL1800 Level 3

Postby peppilepew » Tue May 31, 2016 10:09 am

Canada has the same laws governing modulating headlights as does the states. They are legal.

luck
2002 gl 1800 trike

Postby luck » Tue May 31, 2016 11:47 am

I know it is legal in Canada, i was just wondering why kisan was no longer available here is one of the page: http://wingstuff.com/products/745-kisan ... -gold-wing

peppilepew
2012 GL1800 Level 3

Postby peppilepew » Tue May 31, 2016 11:58 am

Cyclemax has them right in stock. Gary is the guy to deal with.

http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/h4_h7_p ... /120/19120

I would like to add that modulating bulbs burn out extremely quick. I would expect two sets of bulbs during a normal 8-10km riding year. We all know the pain involved in changing out high beams on an 1800. The lows are much easier. Most of us have Hid's for the lows which don't work with modulators. I don't use the modulators for that reason and a few others. People think your trying to get away with something using them and do not so nice things to ruin your day. Not my idea of a fun time!

luck
2002 gl 1800 trike

Postby luck » Tue May 31, 2016 12:12 pm

Sorry i was to fast on panic button, they still available on kisan site . I was afraid for some bad things recently discover about the kit.

luck
2002 gl 1800 trike

Postby luck » Tue May 31, 2016 12:16 pm

Thank you for your comments peppilepew .It is good to know for the bulbs.

luck
2002 gl 1800 trike

Postby luck » Tue May 31, 2016 2:04 pm

This is the law for Canada from government site i found about light modulation. it is on page 48 of the pdf document. Here it is :http://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/roadsafety/108_TSD_rev_5R.pdf
Hope it will help you. i got that from that internet page
http://search-recherche.tc.gc.ca/search ... +modulator

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue May 31, 2016 10:53 pm

peppilepew wrote:Cyclemax has them right in stock. Gary is the guy to deal with.

http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/h4_h7_p ... /120/19120

I would like to add that modulating bulbs burn out extremely quick. I would expect two sets of bulbs during a normal 8-10km riding year. We all know the pain involved in changing out high beams on an 1800. The lows are much easier. Most of us have Hid's for the lows which don't work with modulators. I don't use the modulators for that reason and a few others. People think your trying to get away with something using them and do not so nice things to ruin your day. Not my idea of a fun time!

I have never had a modulated bulb burn out, and I've had them on three separate bikes with halogen (filament) bulbs.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue May 31, 2016 10:54 pm

luck wrote:This is the law for Canada from government site i found about light modulation. it is on page 48 of the pdf document. Here it is :http://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/roadsafety/108_TSD_rev_5R.pdf
Hope it will help you. i got that from that internet page
http://search-recherche.tc.gc.ca/search ... +modulator

If you click on the "Manuals" link at the top of the page, you'll find a PDF you can print out that contains the applicable law (with statutes) for both US and Canada.

Bluewaterhooker0

Postby Bluewaterhooker0 » Tue May 31, 2016 11:25 pm

I was going to say, I've never had to replace my headlights either. Probably only been on for about 12K miles, but no issues. The filament never seems to go completely 'cold' during the modulation. I know bulb life can be shortened when turned completely off and on repeatedly, but mine only go from full brightness to very dim, not off. That's with the Signal Dynamics version. An added benefit on a 1500 with the under powered stock alternator, is that the 'apparent' amperage consumption while modulating is greatly reduced, as they are only on half the time. I keeps voltage readings on a 1500 much more stable. I always kind of thought the modulator might even extend bulb life, much like running any incandescent bulb at reduced voltage will greatly extend its life. But, even if I had to change the bulbs once a year, it would be worth it to me for the added visibility. In about 2.5 years of using mine, I think I have noticed only 2 guys that seemed annoyed at my headlights. From the looks of the drivers, I think they were more annoyed at life itself, than my lights.

peppilepew
2012 GL1800 Level 3

Postby peppilepew » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:27 am

You guys are making me feel wonderful. So my situation is the exception, and not the rule. I guess it depends on the bike and where you ride. I just purchased a set of led highs. Modulating them with the correct setup may work.

Bluewaterhooker0

Postby Bluewaterhooker0 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:16 pm

I had thought about modulating my LED auxiliary lights as well, but wasn't sure about exactly what you've experienced with the headlights. I'm pretty sure that LEDs, given their 'instant on, instant off' nature, will go completely off in the off cycle. Incandescent bulb filaments just can't cool off that quickly, and thus never really go completely dark when modulated. I wasn't sure if that would be too good for high powered LEDs to be switched like that, maybe causing them to burn out prematurely. So, I haven't done it. I'd be curious to find out the long term effect on LEDs being switched or modulated. If you do it, let us know how quickly you burn out those expensive puppies (insert devious smiley face here)

EDIT:
Peppi, the real enemy of incandescent bulbs is vibration. I wonder if the roads you ride, or the way your suspension is set, or operating, is causing vibration that shortens the life of your bulbs. I've hit some pretty nasty bumps on mine, and am actually surprised the filaments haven't broken in the process. They are actually some pretty impressive bulbs to handle the abuse a motorcycle can dish out. My front end is the OEM springs at 56K miles, with 10w oil, so mine is a pretty soft ride. But still, I'm impressed. When I replaced mine at about 40K miles, I believe they were the original bulbs. One had burned out, so I replaced both with the standard H4 - 55/60W version. Then added the modulator a while later. I'm at 56K miles now.
Last edited by Bluewaterhooker0 on Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:22 pm

I don't think I have ever seen an LED burn out when used with the proper voltage. If you don't exceed the PN junction current and voltage, I don't think you can burn one out.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

Bluewaterhooker0

Postby Bluewaterhooker0 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:29 pm

MikeB wrote:I don't think I have ever seen an LED burn out when used with the proper voltage. If you don't exceed the PN junction current and voltage, I don't think you can burn one out.

Yeah, the low powered ones I'm sure could handle it. But the high powered ones generate a bit of heat, and I wonder about that on/off cycle, and the continuous heat/cool cycling that would take place.

peppilepew
2012 GL1800 Level 3

Postby peppilepew » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:21 pm

Bluewaterhooker0 wrote:I had thought about modulating my LED auxiliary lights as well, but wasn't sure about exactly what you've experienced with the headlights. I'm pretty sure that LEDs, given their 'instant on, instant off' nature, will go completely off in the off cycle. Incandescent bulb filaments just can't cool off that quickly, and thus never really go completely dark when modulated. I wasn't sure if that would be too good for high powered LEDs to be switched like that, maybe causing them to burn out prematurely. So, I haven't done it. I'd be curious to find out the long term effect on LEDs being switched or modulated. If you do it, let us know how quickly you burn out those expensive puppies (insert devious smiley face here)

EDIT:
Peppi, the real enemy of incandescent bulbs is vibration. I wonder if the roads you ride, or the way your suspension is set, or operating, is causing vibration that shortens the life of your bulbs. I've hit some pretty nasty bumps on mine, and am actually surprised the filaments haven't broken in the process. They are actually some pretty impressive bulbs to handle the abuse a motorcycle can dish out. My front end is the OEM springs at 56K miles, with 10w oil, so mine is a pretty soft ride. But still, I'm impressed. When I replaced mine at about 40K miles, I believe they were the original bulbs. One had burned out, so I replaced both with the standard H4 - 55/60W version. Then added the modulator a while later. I'm at 56K miles now.

I installed the new style socal led high beams today. I had some choice words spew from my mouth during the install. I have big hands and a big mouth. lol They are without a doubt brighter than the HID's. They did as expected when I switched on the modulator. Flashing on and off as expected. I am not interested in purchasing another modulator for this purpose. I seem to remember something about placing a resistor in parallel to fool the circuit into thinking there is a load. I too wonder about the effects during the on off flashing. Will these high powered led's handle the stress?

As for the 1800 headlights. My suspension is stiffer than stock. However; the bulbs had short lives when the bike had the stock suspension. I have seen many 1800's on the road with one bulb out. The bulbs for some reason lasted longer on my 1500.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:53 pm

Some notes about headlight modulators:

Modulators by LAW must go from 100% to no less than 17% brightness. They must modulate at between 200 and 280 cycles per minute, and the light must stay at 100% between 50%-70% of each cycle. ONLY the headlight can be modulated. It must also have a light sensor that will not allow the modulator to operate when it begins to get dark (there are very specific, technical measurements as to what "dark" means, I won't bother getting into it).

You can modulate LED headlights, however you have to use a modulator designed for LED headlights. Attempting to modulate a LED headlight with a modulator designed for incandescent lights will result in the LED *flashing* instead of modulating, and this is definitely against the law.

LED modulators work slightly differently than incandescent modulators. The modulator dims the LED by sending a pulse-width modulated signal to the LED. LEDs don't take well to dimming by cutting the voltage, so the correct way to dim them is to flash them on and off, really fast. This is how I built the dimming circuit for my LED brake lights - I built a pulse-width modulation circuit that flashes the LEDs on and off about 200 times a second. The longer the duty cycle that the LED is "on", the brighter the light appears to humans. Vary the pulse width so that the LED is on for a shorter amount of time, and the LED appears dimmer. In actuality, the LED is alternating between full brightness and completely off, but it's doing it so fast that our eyes can't pick it up, and our brains just "average out" the brightness.

Return to “GL1800 Information & Questions”